Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 04:44 AM

283 posts, read 198,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Glassdoor is NOT anonymous. Employers can look you up by name if they choose.
I've always suspected that. That's why I never write a review. Maybe when I retire and no longer need a job. Then and only then will I let them have it.

Sadly employers have all the power over employees. Our livelihood is at the mercy of employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 04:45 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Glassdoor is NOT anonymous. Employers can look you up by name if they choose.
My former employer can tell that Taffee72@gmail (Taffee is my cat's name) or something like that is me?

Old 06-29-2019, 08:55 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,210,516 times
ive seen boss's give an exit interview
1. because its mandatory and they really wont listen to anything you say because you are leaving or labelled disgruntled employee

2. he/she may be very interested in why you are leaving...
A be professional......but be honest....tell it like it is.
B. you never know, after you let it all out and tell management the problems...they may counter the other company's offer with one much better..
c. don't make any one person a villain because it will be a personal vendetta..
d. ask this same person....if you want me to be honest....then give me a written recommendation First..... or a write up summary saying I did a good job....so whatever you say wont burn a bridge down the road

Old 06-29-2019, 08:56 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
Sadly employers have all the power over employees. Our livelihood is at the mercy of employers.

Employers have all the power over replaceable cogs. Employees who bring real value to the table have quite a bit more say in who they want to work with.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:26 PM

271 posts, read 295,761 times
I agree in the eye of the management, im just another employee, and my current company hires over 100k people across the world. Whether my manager listens to what i have to say or not is up to the manager, but i feel like if i can offer some imo constructive advice to the company, at least there is a chance that they will listen.

Our stock price has been going down steadily in the past few years, but our competitors stock price have been going up. Like what i said, even though my days at my current company are #ed, but i was ecstatic when i received the job offer 5 years ago, i did spend 5 years of my life working here. Deep inside, i kind of want my current company to do well in the years ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Congratulations on the new job.

Don't overestimate your importance to your current employer. If they really valued your opinion, they would have asked you for it. You are leaving, they have zero interest in hearing what you have to say or for you to explain themselves. All you need to say, is that you enjoyed working with him and you wish them success. That's it. Don't fool yourself into thinking they care what you have to say or even think. Too often people do and end up telling people off or saying something negative and it only hurts themselves.

Personally, the biggest statement is that you are leaving, there is no need for any further commentary to them about what you think of the place. As a manager, if an employee decided to say negative things to me about anything on the way out, doesn't matter if they are true or not or that I agree with them, it is very unprofessionally and I would remember you in a negative light. I have left jobs without being dramatic about it and I never told them anything on an exit interview, cause none of those things would benefit me or my former co-workers. Just leave in peace and be glad that you are.

Old 06-29-2019, 05:20 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I always fantasized about telling the truth about why I was leaving, but in the end I never did. I never had an employer that I felt really cared about improving anyway.

I had a coworker once go in and start to give her actual reasons. The interviewer made a hand motion to indicate "wrap this up quickly". My coworker shut up at that point.

My current company, who just eliminated my role, recently stopped doing exit interviews altogether. I think they're getting rid of too many people to keep up with it. Also they don't care..
Ironic thing is, if they really did care, they'd listen to input BEFORE people left. I've known someone who did just that... raise concerns to management, suggestions on how to fix them, but they were never acted upon. He left that job since he wasn't feeling good about the company's outlook. When asked about concerns of why he's leaving, he told them they're the same issues he's been bringing up over and over again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I wouldn't say anything. What if your new company turns out to be a complete nightmare and you want to go back to the old company? Best to just leave an anonymous review on Glassdoor instead.
Heh... in the example above, no way in hell was he going back there. For some of us, if you left you previous employer because they weren't dysfunctional, or just generally awful in their own right, then yeah, consider keeping your bridges there. Otherwise, some people are running for dear life.

Old 06-29-2019, 08:24 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,220,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by some1livesinamerica View Post
I have been with my current company for almost 5 years, had an onsite interview with the new company back in May, received an offer from the hr the following week. The salary they offered was more than what I expected, really enjoyed meeting with the people that interviewed me, so accepted the offer right away.

Gave my 2 weeks notice to my current manager last Friday. My manager is currently traveling in China for business, will be back next week. We agreed that we will have a face to face meeting some time next week once he is back from his trip. I really don't know what he is going to ask me during the meeting, but personally, there are 2 questions that i want to answer.
1. why did i decide to leave the company
2. what can we do to make our current company a better place to work
For the past few days, i have been thinking these 2 questions, and i really struggle about how i should answer 2 questions or how deep should i go when i answer these 2 questions.

On one hand, my brain tells me don't burn bridges, you never know what is going to happen in the future. But considering my manager is already 57 and i have no plan to work for my current company ever again, i highly doubt i will ever work with him. Plus, it is not like i have any animosity towards him, our relationship has been professional over the years.

On the other hand, my heart tells me i should tell like it is. And after been working here for almost 5 years, even though after i walk out the office next friday, my employment relationship with my current employer officially ends, but deep inside, I kind of wish that they can do well in the years ahead.

I think the dilemma that i am having is i want to tell it like how it is, but i am also a little afraid that if i say anything thats out of line, it may causes damage to my career down the road, even though the chance of that happens is extremely low.

If the place has a pension don't miss that five year mark.

Old 06-30-2019, 06:39 AM

515 posts, read 360,010 times
We have a younger guy where I work, he wanted the best for the company. He told me he wrote an 8 page memo to his supervisor about his ideas for improvement in sales. He is now leaving for another job. He told me he did not think anybody in management even read his memo. They did not care what he thought. This is typical of workplaces. They don't care when you work there, why would they care when you exit? Best to say as little as possible and leave. A day or two later they will have forgotten you ever worked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment