Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:48 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,391,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Think he did is a joke just to test the waters and see what responses he can get.. Who knows, i just found it by seeing what other internal openings we have and i seen his post. I went to him about it and he just said he was testing the waters and his way of weeding out the fakers.. So can only assume this is not his first time, but we do have openings.
Update your resume and find a better company to work at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 08:51 PM

3,880 posts, read 2,391,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsthomas View Post
Real companies dont waste time playing games like this. He seems bored. Is he the owner of the company. If not, the owners wouldn't be to happy with these antics, wasting time and productivity, or lack of it from an open position. He doesnt sound like some one I would ever trust.
Yes, and this hurts the reputation of the company from good applicants applying. When I see requirements that aren't realistic, like asking for 5 years of experience on a product that was released for the first time last year, they come across as clueless and I no longer consider that company. I'd fire anyone postings jobs that aren't real like that to begin with. This is why they should go through an approval process and not just have anyone at the company post jobs, which explains why many don't get filled because they never had authorization to post the jobs to begin with even if they were real job descriptions.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:10 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,387,368 times
I am a really great candidate for my field. If I looked into it and realized they were just making things up and/or just trying to play games, I'd either not apply because I thought they were jerks or not apply because I thought they didn't know what they are talking about in my field.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:14 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,197,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
So for giggles and to weed out some fakers, my boss pulled a nice trick and it seem to work. I caught on to it but i didnt say anything. He put the normal requirements for Network Operator and added one extra must requirement. Made up Fake name for a CRM application. TCBY CRM was the name he put as a must have, and see how many applications will put this on their resume. With in a 2 day span, he gotten 20 resumes with this on it as having 2 years experience with this fake requirement. Needless to say, its nice to see some good ones only to be demolish with fake it till you make it syndrome. Anybody else delt with this kinda stuff? Personally I seen alot of places that does this as a common thing, my boss just did it just to see what he gets, and weed out the fakers this way. Is he right?
I hadn't really thought about that; I hope that's not how they used to do it. Anytime in the past I was looking at job postings that had some language or skill requirement I didn't have, I simply didn't apply. I just skipped the opportunity and went on to the next company opening to see if I was a good fit there. Last thing I wanted to do was sit in an interview and try to fake my way around not having a required skill. As a result, every opportunity that I applied for was a good fit for my qualifications, and I had very successful employment for those that needed my skills.
Edit:

Now that I think about it, I went further the other way than using that approach. At each job, I would eventually be leaving some position, and would end up with the engineering team writing requirements for my replacement. Anytime I found them packing useless (but REAL) requirements into the job description for my position, I would have a long discussion with the team to find out why it was there. In many instances, I was able to get them to remove them to allow more qualified candidates to apply.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:30 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,251,010 times
The honest person won't bother applying in the first place since they will self-reject ("I don't have experience in XYZ, they won't want me.")

Employers want 100% or bust. That's what is wrong with this particular situation - the OP is not thinking this from the POV of the job seeker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment