Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:58 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,941,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The per child deduction is gone. The tax bill took care of that, essentially screwing people with more than 2 kids, since the replacement credit is smaller.

I don't think it's $13,000 per person. For my family of 3, the cost for my premiums and my employer's premiums are about $18,000 per year. That's also the cost for a family of 10.
It's $13,000 per person, dividing the total revenue of the health care sector by the total population. The reason you and your company are paying less is that people under the age of 65 use much less medical care than people over 65. The average includes Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:07 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,246,492 times
Thanks to the ACA, there is a "cadillac tax" on policies that cost more than $12,000. For those over age 55, that is a typical cost. Employers get punished by our government for hiring older workers, so the ACA promotes age discrimination.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 AM

6,924 posts, read 3,976,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ha ha.
Que funny.
My employer pays 75% of the premium on every employee's policy, and the employees each pay 25%.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,658,859 times
What is going on with most people that healthcare is such an enormous issue? I honestly don't get it. I hear of people through an employer paying $950/month for health insurance for a family of 3, and I'm just baffled. I haven't cost the healthcare system more than like $500 in the last decade! I work out, I eat well, I'm in great shape, and I don't go to the doctor for a cough. I would think the vast majority of people shouldn't have so many issues that it's this costly. I really just don't get it. I'm 35, nobody my age or younger should really have any serious health issues. I don't even go to the doctor at all frankly, I have no reason to, I take my own resting heart rate through my scale, I have a blood pressure monitor, if something is wrong, I'd go see a doctor, but other than that, they aren't doing anything at a doctor's office that requires you to be there if you're healthy. They don't even do any advanced tests unless you complain of issues. If you don't have issues, you don't have any need for it.

Where would all of these people be back in the day? I mean, what is this obsession with treating the doctor's office like it's a movie theater, where you constantly go there?! I simply don't get it. I know multiple people who have created their own issues and abuse the heck out of going to the doctor constantly. They should be in their own special pool of healthcare abusers, then put me in the pool of healthy normal people who have no need to see a doctor for years on end.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:39 AM

51,087 posts, read 36,780,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
What is going on with most people that healthcare is such an enormous issue? I honestly don't get it. I hear of people through an employer paying $950/month for health insurance for a family of 3, and I'm just baffled. I haven't cost the healthcare system more than like $500 in the last decade! I work out, I eat well, I'm in great shape, and I don't go to the doctor for a cough. I would think the vast majority of people shouldn't have so many issues that it's this costly. I really just don't get it. I'm 35, nobody my age or younger should really have any serious health issues. I don't even go to the doctor at all frankly, I have no reason to, I take my own resting heart rate through my scale, I have a blood pressure monitor, if something is wrong, I'd go see a doctor, but other than that, they aren't doing anything at a doctor's office that requires you to be there if you're healthy. They don't even do any advanced tests unless you complain of issues. If you don't have issues, you don't have any need for it.

Where would all of these people be back in the day? I mean, what is this obsession with treating the doctor's office like it's a movie theater, where you constantly go there?! I simply don't get it. I know multiple people who have created their own issues and abuse the heck out of going to the doctor constantly. They should be in their own special pool of healthcare abusers, then put me in the pool of healthy normal people who have no need to see a doctor for years on end.
I don’t think most people are going to the doc anymore for every little thing. Since the ACA every individual policy marketplace or private has deductibles. If I go to the doc right now I pay $250 cause I haven’t met my deductible. People have health problems though, kids get ear infections, I had back surgery, my fiancé gets sinus infections, etc. insurance prices are not set individually in any case. The person spending $950/month doesn’t necessarily use it more. I pay $700/month as an individual and haven’t been to a doc in two years.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:56 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,917,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I work out, I eat well, I'm in great shape, and I don't go to the doctor for a cough.
Enjoy it while it lasts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment