Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 09:31 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,562,038 times

Advertisements

https://medium.com/s/story/your-work...s-26a47ccf778c

Stop fretting so much about networking, marketing, schmoozing, etc. so much that it takes away from the quality of your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 10:05 PM

10,243 posts, read 19,366,787 times
Unfortunately, that's BS. There's tons of crap that sells, and most good stuff languishes, especially in the art world.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:34 AM

1,104 posts, read 926,389 times
God I hate these pathetic masturbatory mindless nonsense articles by deluded pampered self-congratulating narcissists. Even worse it's an article about writing about writing. I will vote for any politician that offers to personally hunt down all these enemies of mankind with a flamethrower and exterminate these wastes of internet space once and for all.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,948,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
God I hate these pathetic masturbatory mindless nonsense articles by deluded pampered self-congratulating narcissists. Even worse it's an article about writing about writing. I will vote for any politician that offers to personally hunt down all these enemies of mankind with a flamethrower and exterminate these wastes of internet space once and for all.
Agreed, the article completely flies in the face of reality.

Old 10-06-2018, 10:54 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,039,583 times
If your work is the only thing that matters, you wouldn’t have so many valuable, knowledgeable workers laid off to protect connected idiots that bring little to no value to table or produce anything of note with success

The workplace is no longer a meritocracy

If your work truly DID matter, I wouldn’t have worked in such mismanaged dumps constantly losing customers and business. They kept all the connected idiots, brought if buddies of managers and the place took a nosedive and kicked the veterans to the curb I to early retirement and caused a massive turnover problems. It’s no coincidence the company crashed beneath the waves when these things happened. Cause and effect.

If it comes down to laying off the valuable employee who doesn't have connections and the USELESS employee with a ton of connection, the valuable one is out the door in today's workplace 9 times out of 10

Old 10-06-2018, 11:06 AM

5,982 posts, read 2,946,058 times
That article is really not true. It sounds like someone socially unaware of what it takes for success to happen trying to justify ignoring anything but the narrow part they enjoy most

Old 10-06-2018, 03:04 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,615,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Interesting POV. This is my opinion.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:20 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,620,921 times
I kind of get his point... At least to me, seeking other people/networking for their advice is pointless when you don't do anything to improve yourself. You can't follow someone's exact steps because you aren't them. You make your own path in life for yourself.

Don't put networking/cart before the skills/horse. Even if you know how to get a job, if you can't perform it then none of it matters because you can't do the job

Old 10-07-2018, 09:48 AM

11,064 posts, read 7,632,094 times
The author is right that an artist needs to focus and perfect their work, but if nobody sees it, there won't be a sale.
Look at van Gogh: painted masterpieces, died broke.

On the other hand, there is a lot of well-marketed schlock that sells like crazy. Thomas Kincaid's body of work comes to mind.

I don't think it has ever been possible for an artist to just focus on their work and have the world beat a path to their door. Jerry Seinfeld worked hard to hone his act, but he also schmoozed with the right people, stroked egos, made deals.

That part of the equation comes so easily to some people that they don't realize that it's part of their success. Then they say things like "you gotta focus on your act."

Old 10-07-2018, 03:21 PM

35,341 posts, read 31,773,160 times
I do good work. However, we’ve had some shake-ups recently. Having the RIGHT people impressed with your work is far more important than doing great work that doesn’t get noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment