Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM

299 posts, read 210,563 times

Advertisements

I had a bad chest infection and felt pressurised to return to work. I went back whilst still ill and then ended up with stress, anxiety and panic attacks.

I returned today after being off for a few months which the anxiety had gone at the end of last week. I was on reduced hours but the job was manic as I work with the public and my throat started to get tense due to the stress. Even the temp who has been covering me said the role is too busy. When I finished I felt like bursting into tears.

I don't want this anymore. Am I best to look elsewhere as the management will not change as they knew I was off due to stress and morale is low at the company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 01:00 PM

12,137 posts, read 23,486,453 times
Since nothing is going to change, you can deal with it or leave. If the job is making you physically ill, then it is time to leave and find a less stressful job.

Old 10-01-2018, 01:28 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,946,058 times
Have you talked to a professional about anxiety/etc. beyond the physical symptoms?

I dealt with anxiety for a long time, and time with a therapist to learn better stress management techniques helped more than changing jobs ever would (although I'd suggest looking for a lower stress job too)

Old 10-01-2018, 01:34 PM

79 posts, read 42,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
I had a bad chest infection and felt pressurised to return to work. I went back whilst still ill and then ended up with stress, anxiety and panic attacks.

I returned today after being off for a few months which the anxiety had gone at the end of last week. I was on reduced hours but the job was manic as I work with the public and my throat started to get tense due to the stress. Even the temp who has been covering me said the role is too busy. When I finished I felt like bursting into tears.

I don't want this anymore. Am I best to look elsewhere as the management will not change as they knew I was off due to stress and morale is low at the company.
Talk to a professional about the anxiety......personal opinion look for something else...

Old 10-01-2018, 01:46 PM

I have seen a few doctors who recommend exercise and mindfulness and had 6 Cognitive Behavioural Sessions which really helped. Unfortunately the service only provided 6 sessions. I haven't worried since so most of it has gone but I am getting throat issues.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:42 PM

23,796 posts, read 19,666,203 times
Quote:
I have seen a few doctors who recommend exercise and mindfulness and had 6 Cognitive Behavioural Sessions which really helped. Unfortunately the service only provided 6 sessions. I haven't worried since so most of it has gone but I am getting throat issues.
This is probably still anxiety-based, especially considering the other threads you've posted about your health problems. Getting on top of it after a mere 6 counseling sessions would be very lucky. The work problems at the current job or even a future job won't change until you get a handle on your anxiety. Face the anxiety itself as YOUR issue, not the fault of this or that manager. There will always be better or worse managers no matter where you work. Focus on learning to handle anxiety while you still have income.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:54 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,946,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
This is probably still anxiety-based, especially considering the other threads you've posted about your health problems. Getting on top of it after a mere 6 counseling sessions would be very lucky. The work problems at the current job or even a future job won't change until you get a handle on your anxiety. Face the anxiety itself as YOUR issue, not the fault of this or that manager. There will always be better or worse managers no matter where you work. Focus on learning to handle anxiety while you still have income.
Basically this. Six sessions is not a lot of time. When I was first getting a handle on my anxiety issues I went to a therapist once/week for the first three months, then once/month for the next six months, and now once per year to check in probably for the rest of my life. It's just another health issue to deal with.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:19 AM

I have given it a week to settle back in. I have been on reduced hours. I was still expected to do my workload in reduced hours and was told I am not managing my time correctly. My colleagues are burnt out as the workload is increasing but management refuse to employ an extra person but create job posts in other departments. I feel like walking out as I have horrible chest burn pains due to the stress.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:59 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,948,979 times
Quote:
I have given it a week to settle back in. I have been on reduced hours. I was still expected to do my workload in reduced hours and was told I am not managing my time correctly. My colleagues are burnt out as the workload is increasing but management refuse to employ an extra person but create job posts in other departments. I feel like walking out as I have horrible chest burn pains due to the stress.
Do you have savings? If not you are going to have to keep working until they fire you. I wish I had more advice or a better solution but this is the reality. Corporate life sucks and they don't give a sh** about you, your family or your health.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:18 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,870,670 times
Quote:
How do they expect you to keep the same workload for less hours? Sounds like they are trying to push you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment