Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 11:26 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,872,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
A while back a friendly co-worker went sick. I covered their work for the day. They came back and got mad about how it was done. No one figured why, all the work was done normal. Their behavior went childish - refusing to reply to me, not co-operating, mimicking my talk, making jokes about me to my face, ranting when I approached to discuss it, really ridiculous behavior. I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong.

After weeks of this, on Monday, they decided that they wanted to go for another sassy rant at me while smiling to my face in the middle of my tasks. I lost my temper and yelled at them (not shouting but raised voice) in a controlled way to sit down, shut up, and keep it shut. They protested, so I spent several more seconds commanding the initial instruction, in very specific, and no uncertain terms. They were visibly shaken and sat down. They had obviously thought I was a pushover. Within an hour they handed in their notice without a job to go to.

Am I supposed to feel about this? My head is saying this a loss because surely reason would have won eventually. Things could have been dealt with. But my heart is saying that would never have happened - justice was served. Obviously it's not a lesson to start yelling every time I don't get my way. Then again it's clear that many people aren't available to reason no matter however you present it to them.

So what do you think? Which side do you take? And do other people have stories of getting rid of crappy co-workers?
Well, you might have sat down with them to find out why they were so upset. But in any case, the whiner is gone...I never had anyone quit when I yelled or cussed them out....I must up my game....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2018, 11:33 AM

9,571 posts, read 11,360,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
OP. It's over. You did nothing wrong except show up a passive aggressive bully. No loss. Move on.
Agree. If "management" does nothing about an unstable and repeatedly verbally abusive co-worker, I'd say you're well within your rights and in fact requirements to tell them to "Sit down, shut up, go home!" as I believe Chris Christy told some heckler once. Maybe more than once, he wasn't especially shy.

You should probably get "Employee Of The Month" award. Oh, except you work for a sick company. Never mind.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:55 AM

2,571 posts, read 1,669,890 times
It was incumbent on management to protect you from this unreasonable co-worker and mediate. They did not, so you were within your rights to protect yourself from being harassed. Not your problem that this co-worker wanted to act like a two-year old and leave in a huff.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:02 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,898,285 times
A friendly co-worker comes back from being sick and is completely changed into a rude, picky, and horrible person. I think it's quite obvious to anyone with a touch of empathy that the "being sick" was either a mental or emotional problem the person can't control, or something very traumatic happened in their life.

After a few attempts at negotiating and compromising (On what? It didn't sound like you were working on the same thing at the same time.), you abandon your humanity (according to your definition above) and yell and shout like an animal. Why not just firmly tell the person?

Despite saying it's nothing to be proud of, you seem kinda proud of it (ie "Yes, they messed with the wrong person all right.")

Generally speaking, I don't understand why people have a problem being firm yet maintaining their calm demeanor and respectful behavior. Too many interactions these days seem to come down to super nice dishrags or screaming matches. So many other options that are still firm and effective.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:43 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,791,122 times
I don't know why people are jumping down the OP's throat. If the friend thought the work wasn't done right, there's more subtle ways to go about this instead of freaking out. I mean she just flipped out.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,889,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
I don't know why people are jumping down the OP's throat. If the friend thought the work wasn't done right, there's more subtle ways to go about this instead of freaking out. I mean she just flipped out.
I don’t know, maybe it’s something about the OP telling someone to sit down and shut up?

Old 09-29-2018, 12:53 PM

149 posts, read 101,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Well, you might have sat down with them to find out why they were so upset. But in any case, the whiner is gone...I never had anyone quit when I yelled or cussed them out....I must up my game....
The whiner? Read it. She's being harassed!

She never "cussed anyone out" like you're saying you did
Best to avoid that avenue but sometimes tempers flare, I know.
The op's words...

"when I approached to discuss it"....
" refusing to reply to me, not co-operating, mimicking my talk, making jokes about me to my face, ranting when I approached to discuss it, really ridiculous behavior. I couldn't figure out what I'd done wrong. "

Old 09-29-2018, 01:13 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,635,136 times
During the exit interview, those same co-workers can always say they felt forced to resign because you made it a hostile work environment... Management can talk them into staying and remove you in return

Old 09-29-2018, 01:28 PM

2,704 posts, read 2,791,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I don’t know, maybe it’s something about the OP telling someone to sit down and shut up?
Did you miss the part where she said she tried to be professional? Because I clearly read it and I'm not blind. She didn't start this, based on her post.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:53 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,635,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Did you miss the part where she said she tried to be professional? Because I clearly read it and I'm not blind. She didn't start this, based on her post.
"Trying to be professional" = ignoring them? Or not punching them in the process
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment