Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 03:10 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,122,166 times

Advertisements

I'd say keep looking. It can't hurt.
You have a job. You don't HAVE to take just anything that's offered.
You can afford to be a bit picky....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 03:27 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You're still young, it's going to look worse and worse over time if you keep switching jobs every year.

You'll still be able to find jobs, but companies will hesitate to consider you as a candidate based on that type of history. The biggest risk right now is 2016 - 2017, resigning for 'personal' reasons, then taking a significantly lower paying job tells me you were fired. There's a lot to be said for having a good 3-4 years with the job you have now to show no matter why you left, you are a reliable employee.

I know you said you weren't fired, but that IS what some employers are going to think given that job history, like it or not.
Taking a lower paying job could mean that the job was so bad that the higher pay wasn't worth it and that was the "personal reasons".

Old 09-19-2018, 04:01 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Taking a lower paying job could mean that the job was so bad that the higher pay wasn't worth it and that was the "personal reasons".
Sure, it could mean that.

$72k to $45k is a massive pay cut, however. More often than not, that significant of a pay cut does not happen by choice. You will have a very difficult time convincing anyone that taking a job at 65% of your old salary was a choice purely because the job was 'bad'.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
The guy went from 32K to 45K. That's a 40% raise in 4 years' time, if I am not mistaken. I wouldn't call that lateral movement.
Admittedly, I was throwing the first job out. Many people take a starter job and leave within a year. This is typical for a new grad, and I would expect to see such a short term job with a lower salary at the beginning.

Since then he has hovered in the $40k range. The $72k job averages out to $48-$54k, depending on exactly how long he was out of work. With inflation, those are largely lateral.

Quote:
I wasn't saying OP qualifies for a six figure job. I was just pointing out that job hopping didn't hurt people I know of as far as salary is concerned. They didn't get a six figure job in their 20's. They got there some times between 35 - 40 years. They were making moves similar to what OP is currently doing judging from their resumes.

I was making 12/hr after finishing college in 2014. I go back to my old workplace every now and then (retail bank) and the people that stick around are now holding positions that pay them a few bucks more than they were earning 2.5 years ago. I would have been right beside them if I didn't job hop. I am earning near 6 figures already...

Agreed. The first job out of college is largely a throw away. Congrats for getting through that, and the OP has done so as well. Now it is time to build a career.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:19 PM

801 posts, read 547,432 times
You guys talk as if OP can't simply lie when they ask him about his salary history if it comes up in an interview...

Old 09-19-2018, 04:27 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
My dearly departed mother once told me, "Never be loyal to a company. It never gets you anywhere. Just be loyal to yourself." I'm always looking for another job, even if I started a brand new job one day ago. If I find one much better than the one I just landed, I leave. If there is a small gap, it never goes on the resume. I now have the job of my dreams. It's so cool, I actually haven't looked for another one since I landed it. I have job hopped like crazy since I started working and never regretted it.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I'll quote your own post in response to your post:
Isolated instances mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.

People who have good experiences in the work force are not isolated instances.

You are consistently quick to shut down anyone that speaks positively of corporate entities. I have worked for several employers who have definitely committed to train me and grow my career. I have only been laid off once in 30+ years, and it was during the economic downturn in 2009 when a LOT of folks were getting laid off.

I would like to think that my positive personal experience in the workforce is based upon the fact that I'm hard-working, dedicated, do my job well, am pro-active, problem-solving and and generally enjoy working for work's sake. And (shocker!) my bosses and the companies for whom I work tend to appreciate that and reward me either with money (salary and/or bonuses) or perks (such as working from home, flexible hours, etc.).

You can be a dedicated, hardworker, pro-active, and still work at a lousy company. You have been in the workforce 30 plus years. Big difference between the 1980s and now. I wish it was still the 1980s. You wouldn’’t have record high turnover/low morale/employee disengagement at an all time. SOME companies appreciate/reward the hard work. By and large most don’t. If they did, you wouldn’t hear all the corporate “horror stories” that go on now. You have been in the workforce a long time so you have had the opportunity to get trained and acquire knowledge of many different facets of industry. By and large most of that is GONE. Im sorry. Those who have been the workforce a few years or just entering learn the same opportunities you had to learn, get promoted, become valuable and learn various facets are your industry, just doesn’t exist now. . Thats just reality today. Its a sad state of affairs.

The proof is in the pudding sadly. And most corporations are now HOLES. Ran by horrible people only looking to minimize expense anywhere they can, cut costs, get rid of “expensive veterans” etc.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:08 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,916,251 times
Quote:
You guys talk as if OP can't simply lie when they ask him about his salary history if it comes up in an interview...
You can also just steal instead of buying things. That doesn't mean I'm going to recommend it.

Last edited by Lekrii; 09-19-2018 at 05:21 PM..

Old 09-19-2018, 05:34 PM

39 posts, read 25,730 times
A few things:

1. My current salary is $45k but it can extend beyond $100k - it's sales. I'm just not in love with sales thus the lack of passion is keeping me from getting out of first gear.

2. IMPORTANT: Please keep in mind that I took a 72k salary job after being out of school barely 2 years.

It came after only working at Job 1 for a little over a year and Job 2 only 8 mos... And they were still comfortable dumping a company car on my head and going out of their way to pay for the furniture in my home office.

I think in THEORY a lot of the advice given here is really good.

But I think in PRACTICE it's my living in a major metropolitan city combined with my peer's generally putrid job histories that makes getting this next job easier than some seasoned professionals may believe.

I have several licenses, a nonprofit and a year at a
Fortune 500 company.

I don't need $175k. I just don't want to sell anymore.

Old 09-19-2018, 07:54 PM

801 posts, read 547,432 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
You can also just steal in
stead of buying things. That doesn't mean I'm going to recommend it.
You're kidding, right? Please tell me you're not comparing lying about your salary during a job negotiation to a felony....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment