Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 03:11 PM

4,490 posts, read 9,353,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
OP seems to think only "rich people" own cars and eat at restaurants.

If the restaurant workers were paid $25/hr, only rich people would eat at restaurants - if there were any restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 03:32 PM

87 posts, read 115,436 times
Seriously folks, I think the OP was a troll post...

Old 09-02-2018, 03:39 PM

185 posts, read 144,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
He didn't have a practical way to pay for what he suggested. Policies that sound good, but don't have a realistic way to pay for themselves are pointless. It was all feel-good talk to appeal to people emotionally.
Ahhhhhhh. So that's it. So who exactly has a practical (or any for that matter) way(s) of paying for their stupid idea? Yes, I'm talking about the "talking idiot."

Old 09-02-2018, 03:58 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,889,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
History has shown us that when too much wealth is concentrated in too few hands, the "have-nots" become restless. Angry. Dissatisfied. In some cases, that dissatisfaction can be met halfway and smoothed over, the way the British handled it (Scandinavian countries also).

Or, it can be ignored and suppressed artificially with armies, jails and torture. The result of that approach can be seen in the history of Russia, Cuba and France. Once it reaches the point no return, there can be anarchy, revolution and war. We Americans should be smart enough and educated enough to know it can and does happen and could happen here.

People who earn their wealth honestly are entitled to a nice lifestyle. A great lifestyle, even. But how many yachts, beach houses and diamonds do you need to live a comfortable lifestyle while others barely subsist? We don't have to give handouts to those people. We can create jobs. Our infrastructure is crumbling, there are staff shortages in nursing homes (those workers are paid nothing), our schools could use some attention, etc. So many ways to put people to work, people who would rather work than take a handout.

Twenty-five dollars an hour? Unrealistic? Maybe. But the CEO of McDonald's just gave himself a $14 million dollar raise. What's he going to do with that? Stick it in an offshore account? Buy another beach house? I mean, how much money do people need to be happy?
People get jealous because they lived their lives differently than rich people and they reap what they sowed. . Rich people for the most part are rich because they are smart. It’s not up to me or you to decide where someone’s wealth/money/assets should cap out or their happiness has some monetary measurement. That’s why we live in United States not Cuba.

You’re trying to throw a rich mans guilt on people but it’s not gonna work. If someone is barely subsisting it’s usually due to really bad lifestyle choices. Sure there is always the exception of some catastrophic event that wasn’t the persons fault. Those I feel sorry for. But the ones who spent spent spent with not a care in the world and now are destitute no sorry I don’t feel much compassion for.

Money isn’t what makes me happy. Money is just a means to be able to take care of my family. Having money in the bank simply puts my mind at ease.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:16 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,306,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
if employers won't pay me a fair wage($25/hour), then I might as well not even work. rich people can make their own food and assemble the cars themselves. i'd like to see how a restaurant meal or a car is going to be made by itself without workers. i won't be the cheap cog anymore for $9, 11, $15.50 an hour or whatever numbers these employers pull out of their $sses. i'm done working in the job market. it's over.
Great. Please tell us what skills you possess that you should be paid $25.00 per hour. Oh, and how are you going to live now that you’ve voluntarily withdrawn yourself from the workforce.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:18 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,631,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanizorc View Post
Seriously folks, I think the OP was a troll post...
Probably, but a lot of people believe this.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:30 PM

5,982 posts, read 2,951,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
Ahhhhhhh. So that's it. So who exactly has a practical (or any for that matter) way(s) of paying for their stupid idea? Yes, I'm talking about the "talking idiot."
Hey, I never said I like the idiot, I voted against the guy. I just said Bernie didn't have a way to pay for his suggestions.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:29 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,056,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You know, this is a question I asked in a thread I started and no one answered. The question was: what would businesses be doing today if minimum wage had kept up with the COL. Here's something to think about:

The fact is, even $15 may be a bargain for today’s leaders of industry and commerce. As Hanauer wrote for Bloomberg: “If the minimum wage had simply tracked U.S. productivity gains since 1968, it would be $21.72 an hour -- three times what it is now.”

Too many Indians and not enough chiefs? Haven't heard that one before.

Why does everyone think that burger flippers are low/no skill? Yesterday's burger flippers are not the same people that you see today. You better hope today's burger flippers are skilled, or you might just die of a e. coli from an undercooked hamburger.

Here's something interesting I read:

https://satyrosphilbrucato.wordpress...y-coming-from/

"If the burger flippers ain’t flippin, the executive ain’t earnin’.

There’s your “unskilled labor,” right there – at the foundation of every business in existence.

Folks who want the gold without paying the miners are parasites and nothing more."
It's not that it isn't important to have people doing those jobs...it's that the people who are doing those jobs are easily replaceable. (And of course, I mean that in a work-related way).

A huge percentage of the population can flip burgers, drop French fries in a deep fryer or put canned vegetables on shelves. If Sally May demands $15 an hour, there are 100 others in the community who are looking for a job, who can easily be trained to do the job in a couple of days and who will gladly take her place at $10 an hour.

Let's say that tomorrow, everyone who has a 2-year-degree or less falls off of this planet. It's going to cause mass chaos for sure. But at the end of the day, the CEO at McDonald's CAN flip the burgers and run the fryers. The brain surgeon CAN do his secretary's job.

Then, let's imagine that everyone who has a 4-year-degree or more falls off of this planet. It's going to be a whole lot harder to recover. Can the burger flipper do the CEO's job? Can the secretary do the brain surgeon's job?

Last edited by lkmax; 09-02-2018 at 10:20 PM..

Old 09-03-2018, 04:58 AM

1,067 posts, read 636,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
They sure did a get job bringing those Carrier Jobs back... Oh waittt... . Clinton's NAFTA essentially destroyed the lives of the majority of Americans. And none of these jobs will ever be returning. We have to many job hunters and not enough jobs available period. Until that gets under control (if it ever does) the only people benefitting from this "Great new America" are the rich people.

Rich people don't create jobs or spread the wealth. The cheapest people on earth are the people with all the money. Which ANY person would need money to last several lifespans is. beyond me. There should be a cap put on just how rich you can be. The only people who benefit from the rich or are the rich peoples friends and family.

All we have now are the rich becoming even more absurdly rich, people's wages not keeping up with inflation. America can't continue to go on like this
How much would someone have for you to consider them to be rich? What is the cap that cap that you would propose?

Old 09-03-2018, 06:58 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,896,426 times
I would say the OP should have thought about how much they wanted to make and their career path a little more. Nobody makes someone do low paying manual labor jobs. It is a free market and you can put in the time and effort to better yourself instead of sitting around crying about "the rich people." Try starting your own business and discover how much time and effort it takes and the stress that comes along with it and you will probably have an entirely different perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment