Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 02:06 PM

66 posts, read 42,157 times

Advertisements

I went for interview for corporate job and they asked "have you ever worked on a team?"

I had no idea what they were talking about. Do you know what they were getting at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2018, 04:09 PM

23,473 posts, read 19,135,648 times
It could either mean working on a complex project assigned to a focused group on a temporary basis, or it could also be that you worked for a company that organized staff into permanent teams. The work gets accomplished by a group rather than an individual on a daily basis.

They are asking whether you have worked as part of a group to accomplish a goal instead of working independently on specific tasks handed to you by someone else. They want to know if you know how to cooperate with others to achieve a goal.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:27 PM

7,977 posts, read 5,007,502 times
Better to FAIL as a team than succeed as an individual. They want pre-progammed "Yes Men" that tow the company line . Find something else.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:41 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,930,270 times
Basically what it sounds like, you'd be working with other people to accomplish a collective goal. They want to know how well you work with other people, things like that.

You'll probably have a portion of a larger project to do, which is pretty common in the corporate world. What kind of job is this for specifically? Knowing the actual field or job would help answer the question.

Old 08-18-2018, 07:13 PM

66 posts, read 42,157 times
I told them in the interview I had no idea what they meant by that.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:10 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,930,270 times
What are you looking for in this thread, then?

Old 08-18-2018, 08:47 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,913,629 times
Simply put, they want to know how well you play with others in the sandbox.

Team=a department with 2 or more people

Team= group of people brought together to work on a project

When answering these kind of questions, the interviewer generally wants to hear about what kind of team it was and your role on the team.

If you are a new college/high school graduate, you can reference extracurricular activities that involved teams.

If you have not worked on a team in prior positions then you should honestly answer 'no' and then talk about why you are interested in team work and what skills you could contribute to the team.

Old 08-19-2018, 01:58 AM

23,473 posts, read 19,135,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ho View Post
I told them in the interview I had no idea what they meant by that.
Well, sounds as if they were looking for someone with team experience. You probably eliminated yourself from consideration. Didn't you even play team sports in school? I'd suggest doing some reading about teamwork and how it is applied to the modern workforce.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:05 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,954,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ho View Post
I went for interview for corporate job and they asked "have you ever worked on a team?"

I had no idea what they were talking about. Do you know what they were getting at?
As an engineer, I have never NOT worked on a team. I wouldn't know what to do in a job where I was working solo. To develop and support a product it requires a very diverse team of people with many different disciplines, and they must all work in concert to deliver the design on time. Multiple team meetings every day that might have people at all levels of the organization.

Old 08-19-2018, 06:20 AM

1,660 posts, read 1,216,218 times
Very Strange not to know the concept of team or teamwork as an employee.

Even if in the past it's only been your manager and you, that is still a team.

Have you only been working as a sole proprietor or one person business ? Is this your first job ever?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment