Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 03:12 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,939,201 times

Advertisements

HR knows about this guy. OP said others quit because of him. He must be of value to the company if they are losing 3 employees because of him. He must be bullet proof for some reason you aren’t aware of.

I don’t know whether the notes OP got from the guy were turned over to HR, or not. Maybe a good parting shot would be to do so. Otherwise, I’d just say a better opportunity came up, and until recently, you enjoyed working there....the passive aggressive route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 04:40 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,816,274 times
Just say you feel compelled to move on and hold ypur ground.
Do you really think they are so dense they can't figure it out?
I don't.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:35 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,636,772 times
I do think the OP has other issues going on, he just doesn't seem like a happy person or someone that handles work issues very well.

Consider this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...ork-wrong.html

OP never elaborated on exactly how he addressed the 'problem' employees, and the best guess is that he blew up or chastised those assigned to work for him in a very public and unprofessional manner. In fact OP never responded to any of the advice given on that thread.

So do keep in mind people like him only want to vent, and aren't really looking for any meaningful or helpful advice. I have no doubts now that the OP will in fact go to the exit interview and vent everything, warts and all.

It's not going to do anything of course. As one poster alluded to, as long as these managers/supervisors get results, no one cares how abrasive or mean spirited they are. I've personally witnessed this in my previous job, where a bully manager was actually taken to HR, but they made life hell for the supervisor who took him to HR (he eventually quit from the stress). Some people seem to have this fantasy that what they say or do is going to make a big difference at their place of work, and that by badmouthing their bosses to HR, that it'll show them. Nonsense.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:41 PM

34,024 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Your resignation letter should just say you are leaving effective on XYZ,
period.

Do not thank them for the opportunity. It was just a business arrangement.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:32 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,364,321 times
Hmm...dont put it in the letter. Seems like you have a new manager, tell him directly why. IE word of mouth, and leave it at that. Word will get around.

Yes a lot of folks are advising saying nothing. But honestly, people like him need to have some push back, or they just keep making the world a worse place.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:39 PM

257 posts, read 177,595 times
Agree with greywar, resignation letters should never give reasons for leaving, they should only give the information that you are leaving, and your intended last day. Any info on why you are leaving should only be oral to a supervisor and/or HR.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,574,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
If you really want to quit and still stick it to him here is what you do:

1) Do as others have said, send in your generic notice, no details given.
2) On your last day, put an "anonymous" note in his mailbox as he did with you (or somewhere he'll eventually find it but no one would see you) with a very directly worded rant about what a horrible manager and human being he is. No need for specifics, no need for cursing...nothing that anyone could take action on. Type/print it on your home computer. Or maybe even mail it so it takes a week to get there.
d the
It will at least somewhat give you the satisfaction you're seeking upon leaving while still staying in good graces with the company.

Even with an exit interview, nothing and I mean NOTHING will change as a result of what you say. They are truly pointless.

NO! Bullies know EXACTLY what they are doing and do it intentionally. Believe me, he thrives on the knowledge that he has the power to make her miserable. Better to get counseling on how to deal with it until you get the 19K, and then just leave immediately. He probably knows she is due the $, is jealous, and will LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact that he had the power to make her give it up.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:18 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,400,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Your HR department knows EXACTLY why you're leaving. I wouldn't tell them anything besides bye-bye.
^This... and I know from experience.

If the company wants to know, nothing needs to be said; if they want to remain ignorant no explanation will suffice.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:03 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,894 times
Managers that are mean-spirited but "get results" are probably doing so by hook or crook. Enron didn't happen over night.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:54 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,704,151 times
The company isn't going to deal with the person causing others to quit, obviously, either because he's getting results( which is all the company cares about) or he is being protected at a higher level. I would be brief, and professional. Other that a 'feel-good' moment for yourself, absolutely nothing of value will come from you laying it all out. They 'know' what the issue is, and they clearly have no interest in fixing it. This is where you as the employee becomes the problem and paint a target on your back, not the person who 'actually' is the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment