Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 11:26 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,968 times

Advertisements

Or teach it to the outsourced resources...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
The problem is, very few people are going to have a skill that can't easily be replaced. And, even if we develop such a skill, we are expected to teach it to younger, lower paid employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2018, 11:32 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,045,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think this early retired engineer made a case for why engineers should save a lot and retire early:

https://retireby40.org/engineers-plan-early-retirement/

He also mentioned one of the reasons why the early retirement crowd is chock full of engineers / computer programmers is because most of them don't like management type jobs (and they seem to be good at saving money compared to people from other professions):

https://retireby40.org/engineer-pers...ly-retirement/
What do early retirees use for health insurance? What about those of us who had children later in life?

Old 08-08-2018, 01:03 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,010 times
Quote:
This is something that seriously worries me. I am not management material. I really am worried about what career options I have available to me once I get to the point where management is expected of me. Unfortunately, as others said, employers only want very young employees in technical roles. Even if I was willing to take a pay cut down to their salary, such an option would not be made available to me.
I'm kind of in the same boat, currently stuck in a less technical path of engineering due to not knowing what I wanted in my early 20s. I've been trying to switch to something more technical, but it seems I've missed the boat as only recent college grads get the chance at entry level to build experience in those roles. From what I've observed at various companies, managers fall into one or more of the following:

1. Stuck in meetings all day
2. Constantly responding to emails
3. Babysitting full grown adults (this is typically more of a production supervisor thing)
4. Generally just talking about things to do instead of doing them

This is nothing against managers, but none of the above is all that appealing to me. As another poster mentioned, companies love these layers of delegating/managing unfortunately, instead of DOING. They really only want to push you to either stay in your current path or go into management. For a lot of us engineers, these companies are basically expecting fish to climb trees.

Old 08-08-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat, currently stuck in a less technical path of engineering due to not knowing what I wanted in my early 20s. I've been trying to switch to something more technical, but it seems I've missed the boat as only recent college grads get the chance at entry level to build experience in those roles. From what I've observed at various companies, managers fall into one or more of the following:

1. Stuck in meetings all day
2. Constantly responding to emails
3. Babysitting full grown adults (this is typically more of a production supervisor thing)
4. Generally just talking about things to do instead of doing them

This is nothing against managers, but none of the above is all that appealing to me. As another poster mentioned, companies love these layers of delegating/managing unfortunately, instead of DOING. They really only want to push you to either stay in your current path or go into management. For a lot of us engineers, these companies are basically expecting fish to climb trees.
That is a good way of describing it. Not sure what career options there are for people like us who aren't management material, but aren't able to retire young for whatever reason.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:40 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think this early retired engineer made a case for why engineers should save a lot and retire early:

https://retireby40.org/engineers-plan-early-retirement/

He also mentioned one of the reasons why the early retirement crowd is chock full of engineers / computer programmers is because most of them don't like management type jobs (and they seem to be good at saving money compared to people from other professions):

https://retireby40.org/engineer-pers...ly-retirement/
Yeah, that's definitely my plan

Old 08-09-2018, 08:44 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
A problem is that unless you’re moving up into one of the countless of unneeded layers of management roles, what else is there to move up to. The more “senior technical roles” will be the first to get hit with the layoffs because of how companies see it as an “expense” and they will just cut the experience non management position and a month later refill it under a different job title but the same function except fill it with some younger cheaper employee. Companies are laying off from the ground up these days. Not vice verse. Can’t tell you how many productive employees in positions I’ve seen laid off due to downsizing and no one touched one of the gazillion countless layers of unneeded management. It’s all arm chair chief quarterbacks and no Indians today

In most places it’s either “management or bust” now

Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 AM

What advice do people have for people like myself who are not management material, and who are unable to retire early? I suspect most of the people who plan to retire early are single or at least have no kids.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
What advice do people have for people like myself who are not management material, and who are unable to retire early? I suspect most of the people who plan to retire early are single or at least have no kids.
If you stick with the same company, and tell them you are happy in your current role, then 90% of companies will be glad to keep you in that role if it's a non-management role.

That's a win for them. They get somebody who is mature, has experience and doesn't want to move up and make more $.

If you were in management, it's a bit different.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:59 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Is there anything wrong with a career like this, especially in Engineering and Tech?
Nope. I specifically avoid anything management-related. I'm not good at it. I don't want to herd cats. I just want to work on technical issues.

Old 08-09-2018, 11:20 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Nope. I specifically avoid anything management-related. I'm not good at it. I don't want to herd cats. I just want to work on technical issues.
LOL the bolded sentence is exactly how I feel about it! I especially hate it when I get roped into something that involves me herding "cats" in other departments, since they need to just manage their own damn part of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment