Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you were poor, but desired to become wealthy, where should you move to or live?
Liberal/left-leaning/blue state or region 45 51.72%
Conservative/right-leaning/red state or region 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2018, 02:39 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,377,841 times

Advertisements

A state/metro with a low unemployment rate. After graduating college in NJ in 2005 it was a chore to find FT work especially between 2008-2012. Had some PT seasonal/temp jobs but that's been it. Was poor to the point where I had to move to Philthy in late 2012. Big difference, especially west of there in the burbs. I'm not even close to wealthy but I've been working FT since 2013 and have made more money than I ever did or could have back in Jersey. I'm able to pay down my student loans and even have enough to go on trips(Wrestlemania 32 in Dallas). If I didn't have debt, didn't go a bit crazy with pizza/fast food and found myself a more affordable crib I'd probably have 10K in savings by now. Numerous ads compared to North Jersey, even today. Both areas I've lived in are blue so it's not really a red vs blue thing.

Washington state has plenty of job openings in the industrial field, as well as Phoenix, Indy, Cincy, Columbus, heck even wack-azz Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 06:22 AM

4,237 posts, read 3,189,074 times
I found financial success by living in a micropolitan area. If you are exceptionally talented, you can earn a lot of money in a high cost of living area such as southern California or New York City. Most of the people there are struggling, however.

It's also difficult to earn a good living in a college town. There are just too many young highly educated people to compete against. Why hire you with a Bachelor's degree when they can high a PhD student for low wages?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:54 AM

1,067 posts, read 636,292 times
[quote=justsomeguy;52495742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post

Do you not understand that whatever adjusted income reduction you received on your federal tax return, was more than outweighed by the state income taxes you paid to NY?

If you made $100,000, and paid NY $16,000 in state income taxes, your federal taxable income would have been reduced to $84,000. Let's say your adjusted federal income tax rate was 21%, your total tax burden = $17,640 federal income taxes + $16,000 in state taxes, total income taxes paid = $33,640

If you made $100,000 in TX, you paid $0 in state income taxes, so you get no deduction. Let's say the higher bracket makes your adjusted federal income tax rate 25%. $100,000 x .25 = $25,000 federal income taxes + $0 state taxes. Total income taxes paid = $25,000

You still came out ahead $8,640 vs a state with a state income tax.

There is no mathematically possible way that the deduction will "even out" the overall income tax burden vs. a no state income tax state unless the government taxed you at 100%, or possibly if the deduction moved you into a non-taxable bracket.....
You may have reduced your Federal tax burden, yet, in your example, you still paid more overall tax because you had to pay state income tax to NY versus the person living in TX. Secondly, with tax reform, things are even worse when you live in NY as there is now a limit on the state tax deduction.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:38 AM

1,063 posts, read 705,033 times
[quote=Jim1921;52497003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

You may have reduced your Federal tax burden, yet, in your example, you still paid more overall tax because you had to pay state income tax to NY versus the person living in TX. Secondly, with tax reform, things are even worse when you live in NY as there is now a limit on the state tax deduction.
The limitation to my knowledge is property tax related not on state income tax through the W-2. So that would not affect much people who aren't trying to claim deductions based on state property taxes.

Secondly - Texas apparently doesn't like to approve unemployment insurance claims compared to NY. (Most conservative states they reject UE claims at a higher rate) So you need to factor that in as well. If you lose your job in TX you get $0. That extra $8k is worth having at least something in your pocket if your employer decides to kick you to the curb.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:56 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,214,773 times
From my own experience, being a blue collar worker doesn't bode well in a red state. Red states are generally cozy with big business and pass lax business laws that screw over the workforce. Blue states generally have better standard wages. That's one of the reasons I left Tejas for PA. Taxes are nuts over here, though, and I try to stay off the turnpike as much as possible when driving my car. As far as politics are concerned, I vote for who I think is the better candidate. The letter next to their name doesn't matter to me.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:53 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,984,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Why hire you with a Bachelor's degree when they can high a PhD student for low wages?
Because those two people are not economic substitutes.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 AM

13,027 posts, read 13,984,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
If you lose your job in TX you get $0.
Untrue.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:02 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,891,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
The political leaning of the state is irrelevant. What is most relevant is the state's job market and the skills of the individual.
Getting a job is poor man thinking.

Old 07-15-2018, 10:38 AM

51,816 posts, read 26,149,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by archineer View Post
Getting a job is poor man thinking.
Indeed.

I know a number of wealthy individuals. None of them got that way by working at jobs.

They accumulated their wealth by selling things, generally things that others produced.

Even wealthy authors are now selling books written by others.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:13 AM

989 posts, read 2,455,755 times
[quote=Jim1921;52497003]
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post

Re-read what I wrote, my example was making the exact same point you are making, not the opposite point....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment