Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 02:44 PM

400 posts, read 366,047 times

Advertisements

I have been in my current role for 2.5 half years as an administrative assistant. The role has been good to me, but I have reached a point where I want to do more and this position does not really allow for growth. I finish all of my work very quickly and have a lot of free time in between. I don't forsee the people above me retiring anytime soon, so I don't want to wait it out. In the time I have been in this position, I have had about 3-4 internal interviews. It is disheartening because I don't have any reprimands or even a bad reputation, yet I continue to be passed over. Out of 4 interviews, I have known at least 2 of the interviewers, but when I ask for feedback they say that I present myself very confidently, but what it boils down to is job related experience. The truth is that I know that I can learn some of the skills that I am lacking. I work in government so my benefits are great, but I yearn for something more. I always take professional development classes through HR when they are available, but it seems like no matter what I do, it is never enough.

The saddest part of this all is that in my position, I have access to directors and work in the CEO's office so I have the ability to network, but I don't understand why I keep getting interviews, but am never selected for these jobs when my work ethic speaks for itself. I never had a desire for managment or supervisory work, but would like to do something different than what I am doing now. Does anyone have any advice regarding my predicament? I get paid fairly good for what I do, but I don't want to be pigeonholed into my role.

Finally, the first interview I had the person basically grilled me and upon me walking into the interview she looked me up and down in a bad way, so I knew my chances of success were going to be low, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 02:55 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
I have been in my current role for 2.5 half years as an administrative assistant. The role has been good to me, but I have reached a point where I want to do more and this position does not really allow for growth. I finish all of my work very quickly and have a lot of free time in between. I don't forsee the people above me retiring anytime soon, so I don't want to wait it out. In the time I have been in this position, I have had about 3-4 internal interviews. It is disheartening because I don't have any reprimands or even a bad reputation, yet I continue to be passed over. Out of 4 interviews, I have known at least 2 of the interviewers, but when I ask for feedback they say that I present myself very confidently, but what it boils down to is job related experience. The truth is that I know that I can learn some of the skills that I am lacking. I work in government so my benefits are great, but I yearn for something more. I always take professional development classes through HR when they are available, but it seems like no matter what I do, it is never enough.

The saddest part of this all is that in my position, I have access to directors and work in the CEO's office so I have the ability to network, but I don't understand why I keep getting interviews, but am never selected for these jobs when my work ethic speaks for itself. I never had a desire for managment or supervisory work, but would like to do something different than what I am doing now. Does anyone have any advice regarding my predicament? I get paid fairly good for what I do, but I don't want to be pigeonholed into my role.

Finally, the first interview I had the person basically grilled me and upon me walking into the interview she looked me up and down in a bad way, so I knew my chances of success were going to be low, lol.
You can switch positions with me.

A job where I have paid downtime just seems like a pipe dream for me. Wow... seems like a lot of people here have that.

As for why you are being passed over, lack of related experience sounds about right. That's the reason I've always gotten as I've tried to transition to.

Unfortunately, companies don't exist to make our lives better. They exist to make $. And training is expensive.

Though government is a different animal I will say.

What you can do in the meantime is get buddy/buddy with those persons who work in the positions/divisions you would like to transition to and try and get them to kick some work to you so you can get experience. But that is a tricky situation in its own right. I can elaborate if you like...

Old 06-28-2018, 03:26 PM

400 posts, read 366,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You can switch positions with me.

A job where I have paid downtime just seems like a pipe dream for me. Wow... seems like a lot of people here have that.

As for why you are being passed over, lack of related experience sounds about right. That's the reason I've always gotten as I've tried to transition to.

Unfortunately, companies don't exist to make our lives better. They exist to make $. And training is expensive.

Though government is a different animal I will say.

What you can do in the meantime is get buddy/buddy with those persons who work in the positions/divisions you would like to transition to and try and get them to kick some work to you so you can get experience. But that is a tricky situation in its own right. I can elaborate if you like...
Please do elaborate. I like downtime more than the next person, but having it every single day makes you wonder if there is something else out there. I don't want to be a secretary for the rest of my life and as far as job related experience goes, I wonder why the even interview me if they see I don't have the experience that they want. I also want to say I am a glorified introvert, BUT I am able to relate to people and interact. In my past interviews I have been described as having a quiet confidence, being self motivated, and very professional. These attributes don't seem to be getting me the job that I want though.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Please do elaborate. I like downtime more than the next person, but having it every single day makes you wonder if there is something else out there. I don't want to be a secretary for the rest of my life and as far as job related experience goes, I wonder why the even interview me if they see I don't have the experience that they want. I also want to say I am a glorified introvert, BUT I am able to relate to people and interact. In my past interviews I have been described as having a quiet confidence, being self motivated, and very professional. These attributes don't seem to be getting me the job that I want though.
For some time, I was trying to transition to other positions within my company, which does a few types of engineering. The way I went about it was to go to each person who is involved with that type of work and say basically "I'd like to be involved and help you if you need help." I did that numerous times with at least 8 different people.

At least where I work, one of the problems is that people need to worry about their own a@@. So, by helping me, or by giving me work, they're actually decreasing their own workload and/or job security. As far as the managers, they really just don't care. And they really have their own workloads to worry about. So, you really have to be on them and harass them to help you. Or maybe it's natural if you're really social. But I'm an introvert like you, and I couldn't really do that.

I also assume that the jobs you are applying for require experience that is outside of the experience you have? So, what you are saying by applying is ... "I don't want to do what I'm doing now."

That's a gamble. It might work out and they might switch you. But if they don't they might say "Well if she hates her job, then we'll give work to the other admins." And eventually you might lose your job. I have no doubt that's what would have happened to me. In retrospect, that might have been a good thing but I digress.

Your situation might be totally different. But these were some of the tricky things I ran into when trying to apply to internal positions. Hope it helps.

Old 06-28-2018, 04:59 PM

40 posts, read 41,074 times
Start looking outside of your company

Old 06-28-2018, 05:03 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
2.5 years isn't all that long but you are doing something wrong if you aren't being given additional responsibilities - both for your own personal growth but because you apparently don't have enough work to do. Have you asked your direct manager for additional work? Let them know you want to increase your skills and experience and take on the challenges of something new. You need to work your way into a promotion, not expect one to be handed to you with the promise that you'll learn what you need to know after you get there.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:17 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:

I work in government and can tell you that I have known a lot of people who move up from administrative assistant into something else. However, it depended heavily on the department that was hiring and how willing they were to promote people from that role. We had one unit where the head was really willing to take a chance and promote people, but we had several other units where the heads were very rigid in wanting X amount of years of related experience. It was a real shame because the people who were promoted usually stayed for years while the people who were hired from outside often only stayed a year.

There was actually one woman at my old job who started around when I did in 2010 in an administrative assistant position and by 2016 or so, she had moved up to an upper management position. She was only in her late 20s and I think what they like about her so much is that she is approachable, tech savvy, and generally responsive.

I agree that the first place to start is asking for additional work to do. Most government jobs realize that an administrative assistant job is just a stepping stone. Start with asking for work in areas of interest if possible.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:32 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
What are your skills?
Do you have a college degree?
What jobs are you applying for???
Do requirements ask for more education and specific skills --maybe tech skills/software skills--that you don't really have?
Admin assistant could be complex or pretty plain in what skills you need...
You don't really address that...

Old 06-28-2018, 07:14 PM

765 posts, read 473,178 times
you haven't given me any feedback from any of your interviewers but to say one of them looked you up and and down in a manner that reeked of dismissal.

I think you have to talk to someone in personnel or your direct supervisor to find out exactly where you might be lacking..... and then it's up to you to take those facts and see if you can change them with perhaps some higher education or perhaps even the willingness to work in an intern role. Sometimes it takes someone with much more at stake within a company to truly enjoy your enthusiasm for the company and your role in it. If you can't get an intern position to prove yourself in the department you feel you are most interested in, perhaps you can talk to that department head personally about your desire to do more and be more and grow more. Wear your heart on your sleeve, be willing to take whatever advice that was given and turn it into a great opportunity...... i remember reading a great poem once, in the poem a man kept knocking on a door and knocking and knocking until he realize he just had to break the damn door down!!!!!!!!! I hope you find the courage to break down all doors and all barriers to get what you want!!!! bright blessings

Old 06-28-2018, 07:43 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
What are your skills?
Do you have a college degree?
What jobs are you applying for???
Do requirements ask for more education and specific skills --maybe tech skills/software skills--that you don't really have?
Admin assistant could be complex or pretty plain in what skills you need...
You don't really address that...

I was thinking the same thing? What kind of promotion can you get as an Administrative Assistant? Executive Administrative Assistant? What kind of promotion or job are you looking for? Applying for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment