Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 10:33 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,843,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty2.0 View Post
I'm hoping to make my way up to Alaska and get a job fishing or crabbing this fall (September or October). I'm wondering what the best time would be for me to get a job and where would be a good place to start? I have no experience but have several years of cooking and train hopping under my belt. I grew up working farms in Wisconsin and am able to work hard and I'm willing to risk the dangers. Any advice is helpful.
Thanks

I forgot about this group until now. I was security aboard the USNS Neptune (Cable repair ship) while in dry dock. They have the MSC (Military Sealift Command) you'll get to start as an oiler or such and can work your way up to Captain if you have the desire....I spoke with some of the crew, they had visited several other ports (Japan, Singapore and Australia) All at pretty good pay...

Give it a shot... https://sealiftcommand.com/

We recruit entry-level positions in the Supply (Culinary & Logistics), Deck and Engine departments. Oftentimes mariners with skill-sets suited for other departments apply for these positions. Our flexible career paths allow qualified employees to compete for their desired department, once the right position becomes available.

The mission will take you all over the globe while offering federal job security, hands-on training, and career advancement opportunities. Other advantages include diversity of fleet and platforms, overtime pay, flexible career paths, service to country and the camaraderie that comes with life at sea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment