Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:22 AM

35,349 posts, read 31,793,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
^ +1; and health-care-reform(aca) for the most part wont allow health info to be exported offshore.
I wasn't necessarily talking about the data being stored in some offshore data center, though I guess that could happen, even if the customer didn't consent to it.

Over the years, we've seen huge data breaches that impacted millions of users. Target. Equifax. A lot of companies, right or wrong, think they can do better.

I used to work for a software company in a client-facing role where many of the older clients were on-prem, and the newer clients were forced to take our SaaS offering. From my perspective as the vendor, the SaaS clients were much, much easier to support, and were almost always happier with the product. There were numerous occasions where a client's VPN would go down during beginning of day processing, our support teams could not reach the client, and the business staff would come out with an incorrectly updated or nonworking system.

After dealing with the difference between SaaS and on-prem clients, at least if "we're buying your software to run for our local users," I'll choose SaaS every time.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 AM

6,624 posts, read 11,399,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Many banks and healthcare organizations, and presumably other security conscious organizations, still go on-prem because they feel like they can control their data better.
Actually - more and more banks are moving to the cloud. Is it a significant percentage? I don't know as I don't have the numbers. But after 10 years of InfoSec in this specific sector, this is the recurring theme at a lot of my clients as well as all the trade shows.

I think part of this is that people are starting to realize that "more control" doesn't always mean "more security". Especially if you are accountable for that data. I compare it to the "money under that mattress" analogy. Sure, you have more control over that money - but it's also much more likely to walk away. And when it's someone else money you're watching - you're taking on that much more risk.

Obviously - Chase, Wells, Goldman and the other top 10-50 will likely always have their own infrastructure. But over 90% of all banks in the US are minuscule compared to these giants. And these institutions often can no longer keep up with the technology nor the regulatory requirements that are being placed on them.

As for healthcare - I see them in even worse shape. Banks are at least audited/examined by the FDIC annually (along with external/internal auditors). So even when they do outsource, they are still scrutinized to ensure they are managing their vendors appropriately. On the healthcare side - while you have HiTrust for larger organizations, smaller organizations tend to skirt under the radar until something happens.

In the sense - I think the emergence of cloud services is actually a really good thing. I rather a small bank use a hosted service that is investing in security/privacy than to try and handle it themselves with a few over-worked, under-resourced staff.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 AM

146 posts, read 101,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by programmadora View Post
What do you think are the job implications of the "move to the cloud"?

My guesses are

# Less demand for roles like Systems Administrator, Support Engineer, etc. because the problems they solve will be automatically taken of by the cloud

# Lower barrier to entry into Software Engineer roles because they won't require as much knowledge of how computers work
There will be plenty of demand for those jobs they will just be with the cloud provider and very little by the firms respective departments. There will never be a low barrier for software engineering... Things will always break and will always have large, complex logic that needs to be decoded and understood.

I really wish for the things you list... It's really sad that humans have to spend their lives doing things that computers could do but unfortunately that will always be the case. Information technology will always be in demand you just need to find it and be willing to adapt.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:11 PM

3,283 posts, read 2,695,990 times
Quote:
What do you think are the job implications of the "move to the cloud"?

My guesses are

# Less demand for roles like Systems Administrator, Support Engineer, etc. because the problems they solve will be automatically taken of by the cloud
"The cloud" is just someone else's computers. Those computers still need care and feeding. And nobody is ever going to put everything into "the cloud"... whenever there's a problem, a breach, or a new security requirement; there'll be a need for stuff to be hosted in-house.

Quote:
# Lower barrier to entry into Software Engineer roles because they won't require as much knowledge of how computers work
Every time someone has said that "We don't need developers who know so much!", they wind up needing more developers than ever to fix all of the problems caused by those who didn't really know what they were doing.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:39 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,630,900 times
i wonder if by system/software engineers, op really means tech-support help-desk ?

Old 03-04-2018, 01:01 PM

19 posts, read 9,058 times
Update:

I just learned last week that the title of Database Administrator is becoming obsolete because a lot of these new cloud databases have intelligence that basically does the task of a DBA. For example, in SQL Azure you can flip a switch that will automatically identify slow-executing queries and will add indexes to columns to speed them up. Perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:24 PM

251 posts, read 206,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So 5 people instead of 8? That's the normal process improvements and efficiencies that come with new technology. What you described sounds like a normal agile based team. No winners or losers. The work gets done.
There will always be new challenges there is nothing new under the sun. Whack a mole. You whack one and 2 more pop up generally in a different area of a different nature which requires a different skill set to whack.

Old 03-04-2018, 02:26 PM

251 posts, read 206,043 times
Quote:
Update:

I just learned last week that the title of Database Administrator is becoming obsolete because a lot of these new cloud databases have intelligence that basically does the task of a DBA. For example, in SQL Azure you can flip a switch that will automatically identify slow-executing queries and will add indexes to columns to speed them up. Perfect example of what I'm talking about.
Sounds simple but nothing in tech ever is. And I am not even in IT but impacted heavily by it. Perhaps the evolution of the role will be DBA Forensic Analyst - Their job will be to find out why SQL Azure could not adapt to our unique database. If I had a cookie for every time my vendor told me this new upgrade or feature would shorten my workday I would be a diabetic. The new feature often creates more trouble at first then once that's ironed out it creates new opportunities which requires more hours. The workday is never shortened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment