Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:03 PM

3,423 posts, read 7,833,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
Hi all,

- Why would a manager tell her employee: "You are too good for this job". If I am too good, why not work on getting me promoted in the next session?

- How comes she does suggest a transfer abroad? She's very much pushing for this to happen. The department move inside the current office isn't serious offer, since she only spoke about it twice briefly. Every single time, she says: "You need to seriously think about moving locations". She's not thinking about just any location, she's thinking about joining the team of my manager abroad. She even told me: "Your manager abroad would be very happy about this".
To be fair, although I have not discussed this with anyone at all, I would indeed welcome a move abroad & in that specific location as I had briefly lived there before. I have been thinking about moving back for months now, but no one knows.

- If a job there was truly an option, how come my manager abroad didn't mention it to me first?
It doesn't matter. Your immediate manager is pushing for this overseas position and you have stated you are interested in it. Like TMKSarah says-GO!

Quote:
I have no idea what to do. Do I speak about this to my overseas manager? Do I ask my line manager whether I can talk about it to my overseas manager?

This is incredibly confusing.
Tell the line manager you are interested and you would like to speak to the overseas manager about it. Don't overthink this. Your line manager is giving you an out. Take it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 02:56 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,933,788 times
Quote:

I have no idea what to do. Do I speak about this to my overseas manager? Do I ask my line manager whether I can talk about it to my overseas manager?

This is incredibly confusing.
Why would you not talk to the overseas manager about this? You say that others in your position are making $30 thousand more than you. Did you consider that the local manager is well aware of this and knows that you won't get to that level staying where you are? That could certainly lead to some dissatisfaction; it's only a matter of time.

And please, stop with the "bullying" comments, your workplace is not a middle school classroom; your claims to a legal style of writing and broad language capabilities are not supported by such usage. Criticism is not bullying and if the level of uncomfortable interaction rises to a level of harassment, intimidation or duress use those or similar words. Simply throwing out a term like bullying without any supporting information does nothing to make a case in a business environment.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:24 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,795,593 times
My guess is that the new manager knows they don’t want to promote you locally because your current position is hard to fill. If they know that promoting you is going to leave your current position vacant for 6-12 months, it makes them less likely to want to do it. You and your manager are the same age and she probably sees you as someone who is wasting her skills in the position she is in. Unlike the conspiracy theorists on this board, I don’t believe that every manager is out to ruin people’s futures. I have had managers who have been happy to try to help me progress in my career.

If you apply for a position abroad, where you will need the same skills you have now and be working for the same difficult manager, I think it would be harder for them to deny the opportunity if those positions require similar skills to what you have and also require the soft skill of actually getting along with a demanding manager. They’d much rather have a known person who can do that than an unknown person off the street. It sounds like locally they can hire anyone, language skills or not. I would guess that abroad, you can’t have no language skills.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:04 AM

166 posts, read 118,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
And there you go coming off as arrogant. Whether you believe you are or not is irrelevant. I’m telling you how you are being perceived, as have several others in this thread, and often promotion is about perception, not just of your work but of you. Instead of leaping to your own defense, take a minute, consider what is being said, and thank people who are trying to help you. That lack of thanks or appreciation, even when you disagree with what the person said, is a mark against you. People like people who can take criticism and be gracious. Even the way you say that your writing style comes from your legal background - legal, lawyer, etc. these words carry a sense of importance (and to some people, pompousness) and when you use them like you ddid, you assign those feelings to yourself. People will see you are pompous.
No he's not coming off as arrogant. You, on the other hand,.....
back to the op and please stop your bickering, thanks it makes it more difficult to sift thru the real posts

Last edited by DaddyLongLeg; 02-08-2018 at 08:13 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 AM

FTR, he never brought up bullying comments at all. It was brought up by another poster so he had to address it, clearly, a few times.

It seems this thread has many misunderstandings that can be resolved if posts are re-read a few times before responding.

OP I think you are loosing your job very soon. Either decide to move oversees or start looking for a new position somewhere else. Your on-site manager is too new, and you don't appear to be friends outside of work with her, so for her to be that persistent under the guise of looking out for you is unlikely. As another poster said, you'd probably feel instantly that was the case.

Hope you keep us updated Good luck

Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My guess is that the new manager knows they don’t want to promote you locally because your current position is hard to fill. If they know that promoting you is going to leave your current position vacant for 6-12 months, it makes them less likely to want to do it. You and your manager are the same age and she probably sees you as someone who is wasting her skills in the position she is in. Unlike the conspiracy theorists on this board, I don’t believe that every manager is out to ruin people’s futures. I have had managers who have been happy to try to help me progress in my career.

If you apply for a position abroad, where you will need the same skills you have now and be working for the same difficult manager, I think it would be harder for them to deny the opportunity if those positions require similar skills to what you have and also require the soft skill of actually getting along with a demanding manager. They’d much rather have a known person who can do that than an unknown person off the street. It sounds like locally they can hire anyone, language skills or not. I would guess that abroad, you can’t have no language skills.
He hasn't mentioned the job entails working for a difficult manager but a supportive one. One who has already given raving reviews about his performance to the site manager who otherwise wouldn't know how he's doing. Partially because she doesn't speak multiple languages

Old 02-08-2018, 08:17 AM

15,851 posts, read 35,286,942 times
I guess it comes down to whether or not being promoted eventually is important to you. If it is then you need to consider her advice. If it is not then you need to thank her for her kind concern, and tell her that you have already put together a 5 and ten year plan and are managing quite well, thank you.

As long as you are doing your job, and apparently doing it well, your future is your business and not hers. She needs to butt the hell out of your life.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:46 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,107,561 times
Some of you can't read....the OP is a FEMALE

To OP: There is too much for me to dissect right now, but one thing that stood out is your line manager's age. When I read your first post, I assumed your line manager was your elder and was possibly playing the "mother hen" role. I've had something similar happen to me when I first graduated. I initially took an entry level job but was offered another job about three months later. When I informed my manager of the new position, she told me she wasn't surprised because she knew I could do better. She was a bit older, and I felt the "mother hen" vibe from her. Your line manager, however, is in your age range. Somehow I doubt she's looking out for your best interest, but, rather, her own agenda. It might be time to have a frank conversation with her to understand where she is coming from. You can then make decisions accordingly.

Good luck. I hope it all works out.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:47 AM

48,723 posts, read 35,385,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
F

It seems this thread has many misunderstandings that can be resolved if posts are re-read a few times before responding.

To start with, I believe "he" is a "she".
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,795,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyLongLeg View Post
He hasn't mentioned the job entails working for a difficult manager but a supportive one. One who has already given raving reviews about his performance to the site manager who otherwise wouldn't know how he's doing. Partially because she doesn't speak multiple languages
The OP mentioned in a prior post that the overseas manager is very demanding, which is why it is hard to fill her current position. The overseas manager likes the OP, but I do not think that is the case with all employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment