Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 11:03 AM

7,020 posts, read 3,802,814 times

Advertisements

Almost all of my coworkers talk about going to their second job in the evening when they are about to get off work. Some of them make close to $85,000 a year and still need to work a second job in order to make ends meet. Do you see this with coworkers on your job? I rather just cut back and pay for things I can afford rather than work two jobs. It's also a couple of them who don't have kids and still have to work two jobs to make it. So it seems like this is becoming a normal thing for a lot of people today since the primary job is not paying as much. It also can be that 30 years ago there was no such thing as these bills below

Cable
Internet
Cell Phone
Netflix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 11:13 AM

6,788 posts, read 9,666,844 times
Were you alive 30 years ago? There was certainly cable 30 years ago. It was everywhere by then. And you also had itemized billing for land-line long distance calls and rates for long distance were very high. I pay less now for my cell phone plus internet than I did for my land-line the first year I paid for my own (1989). And I dropped cable for Netflix, which costs less per month now than cable did in 1987.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Were you alive 30 years ago? There was certainly cable 30 years ago. It was everywhere by then. And you also had itemized billing for land-line long distance calls and rates for long distance were very high. I pay less my cell phone plus internet than I did for my land-line. And I dropped cable for Netflix, which costs less per month now than cable did in 1987.
Yes and cable was not in all neighborhoods in 1987 which is why people had to go to the bar for big boxing matches.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:15 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,167,225 times
I don’t work a second job, but I do own a small business with my wife. She puts in about 90% of the effort, as it is her only job.

Comparing bills from one era to another is difficult. Netflix certainly isn’t significant, as it is only about $10/month.

Sure, nobody paid for internet in the 1980s, but we all rented videotapes from the video store, and VCRs were expensive electronic items. We also paid long distance charges on our phone bills, purchased music albums, and comparison shopping was really difficult before amazon. Without bothering to look it up, I wonder if food and energy were more expensive back in the day, when adjusting for inflation and median income.

I think that other factors are more important than a few trivial bills. Are we living in larger houses? Are we eating out more often, or more prepared foods, when compared to home cooking? Do we own more cars? Are we drinking more expensive microbrews or designer spirits? How about clothing? Do we have more as fashions change quickly? We all own IKEA furniture, but it falls apart after a few years, so we purchase it again and again. Should we invest in a quality item instead and keep it for a couple of decades?

Consumer behavior is tricky, and simply cannot be reduced to your cable bill.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:16 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,185,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Yes and cable was not in all neighborhoods in 1987 which is why people had to go to the bar for big boxing matches.
The bars charged twice as much for food and 3-4x for watered down beers as people sitting at home watching cable. Thirty years ago, it was always more expensive watching in a bar.

Old 12-16-2017, 11:17 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,624,169 times
birds of a feather flock together...

if all the people you associate with need second jobs, find a new group of people to be friends with

Old 12-16-2017, 11:49 AM

683 posts, read 1,898,692 times
Do you know for certain that they need the second job to make ends meet? I am sure for some that is the case, but there are so many different scenarios that could factor in to their decision.

Those who have not had children yet may want to get a jumpstart on retirement savings or saving for a down payment on a house.

Those whose children are grown and moved out may be bored with the free time they now have in the evenings and want to do something productive.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:00 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,041,319 times
Salaries aren;'t keeping up with inflation. The salary increase has been minuscule over the last 30 years. I don't know how anyone can afford cars, housing, and kids these days without government subsidies in most places.

Years ago a HS graduate could afford all these things and a nice retirement. Today? Two college educated people can barely make ends meet and you'll be lucky to even make it to retirement before getting laid off.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Salaries aren;'t keeping up with inflation. The salary increase has been minuscule over the last 30 years. I don't know how anyone can afford cars, housing, and kids these days without government subsidies in most places.

Years ago a HS graduate could afford all these things and a nice retirement. Today? Two college educated people can barely make ends meet and you'll be lucky to even make it to retirement before getting laid off.

My annual raises just keeps pace with the rent increase but that's about it.

Old 12-16-2017, 12:17 PM

413 posts, read 298,833 times
I've been surprised by how many full-time co-workers worked two, even three, jobs. In some cases, they had kids in college, both undergraduate and graduate school. I would never have expected my parents to pay for my graduate school education, but I've met several co-workers who did this for their kids.

In other cases, they were single or didn't have children and (I assume) just wanted the extra money, perhaps to save for retirement. None were people who were particularly materialistic or seemed to have been living above their means. You don't become a librarian if you're the type of person who aspires to drive a fancy car and live in a prestigious neighborhood.

In some cases, the people didn't have many hobbies and just liked to be busy and productive. They freely chose to work. I can't remotely relate to that because I'm protective of my leisure hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment