Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 09:28 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If it's one person, you might be able to overcome it. If it's half of your superiors, you'll probably never be able to overcome it. You might be able to hang around for years even, but you'll get the short end of the stick.
This. If it's just one supervisor giving you a hard time, there's a modicum of hope. It still sounds like a toxic workplace, based on your description, unfortunately.

I would start looking again for employment elsewhere. As for leaving right now, like your wife suggested, only the two of you know if that's an affordable option. There have been times when I would've done that and not looked back if money hadn't been an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 10:08 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
This. If it's just one supervisor giving you a hard time, there's a modicum of hope. It still sounds like a toxic workplace, based on your description, unfortunately.

I would start looking again for employment elsewhere. As for leaving right now, like your wife suggested, only the two of you know if that's an affordable option. There have been times when I would've done that and not looked back if money hadn't been an issue.
Sometimes there's discussions of how work differs from school.

This, to me ... is the #1 way in which school differs from work.

In school, your progress is being tracked numerically and it's the teacher's job to make sure you improve.

At work, when you make a mistake that a person deems large enough, they won't attempt to help you improve. They'll just call you an idiot or incompetent behind your back until you quit or get fired.

Fun times...

Unfortunately, if that one person is a high ranking person who distributes a lot of the work, you may already be dead in the water. Just the way work is.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
In school, your progress is being tracked numerically and it's the teacher's job to make sure you improve.
Yeah, and that's because the students' success directly affects the teachers' job. Students not succeeding = teacher in danger of losing his/her job at some point. In that way, the workplace isn't all that different from school, because good managers know they succeed when their employees succeed. Sh*t managers either don't know, or don't care.

Old 12-06-2017, 10:24 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
My wife says to leave now. A part of me wants to stick it out until I either get fired (its not a matter of if, but when) or find a new job.
I would suck it up and stay put until I have another job.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Yeah, and that's because the students' success directly affects the teachers' job. Students not succeeding = teacher in danger of losing his/her job at some point. In that way, the workplace isn't all that different from school, because good managers know they succeed when their employees succeed. Sh*t managers either don't know, or don't care.
I don't think most teachers teach for a paycheck. I understand that in some states (mine especially) they get paid quite well and get great benefits, but in general, they want to help students.

Also, the job is designed to help students. It's in the title of the job. 'Teach'er. Lol.

Managers will just use another employee they trust more instead of trying to give constructive criticism. So, when/if it gets to that point OP's boss will just refuse to use OP or try and pawn him off on another supervisor. Or they will lay him off.

Old 12-06-2017, 12:01 PM

17,543 posts, read 13,329,500 times
Looks like it's time to start looking.

Don't quit, wait to be fired (unless you find a job first) If you quit, you can't get Unemployment benefits.

Why did you leave bad boss for a 35K cit in salary??

Old 12-06-2017, 12:17 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Don't leave until you have another job.

Let your boss know how you feel and that it may be impacting your mojo, and thereby, your sales level.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
It seems obvious to me, find another job now before you are fired. Why is this even a question for you?

Old 12-06-2017, 03:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I would suggest re visiting some of your strong skills and going in another career field. Sales is shark infested and rarely open to kindness. It's all about the numbers. Yuck to the micro management style. Gain back your integrity and express to the eaves droppers to respect your privacy when speaking with a prospect. I'd hang up on any sales rep who's boss was monitoring his pitch. That is just my way of doing business.

Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,955,058 times
A sad tale. And probably a mistake. You should have stuck it out and figured out how to manage your boss. This is a subject not taught in school but must be learned. I've had bosses out to get me and I figured out how to evade their moves and give it back to them in a way that left me better off. I've had bosses so demanding I thought I was going to lose my mind and figured out how to deal with their unrealistc and unrelenting demands. I've been demoted and worked my way into a much better situation. Quitting because of a bad boss is like giving into a bully. Win, lose or draw it's better to stay and stick up for yourself.
In your present situation look for a new job, don't get fired. A termination on your record is something that can follow you for years and won't make your situation any better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment