Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 05:41 PM

210 posts, read 393,954 times

Advertisements

I've been working in a print shop for 3 years now and I've decided it's not what I want to do. I even went to trade school to help me land this job. I think I want to do something completely different, maybe something creative. At the print shop, I'm either stressing out or really bored with no in between.

I have 2 years of experience as a dishwasher from years ago. Do you think it would be hard to explain myself to employers who see that I want to go from working in a print shop to washing dishes? I know I'll be bored, but I'll force myself through that. I believe the much lower stress would help clear my mind and let me explore what I'm interested in. Maybe I can omit the fact that I took a trade course in Printing to help me land the job I'm currently in.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure the real reason why I want to work as a dishwasher would make a good impression to potential employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 06:06 PM

674 posts, read 608,787 times
Wouldn't the lower pay of a dishwasher create more stress? Unless you're still living at home and don't have to pay for food, rent, gas and insurance.

I think you should *not* regress to a dishwashing job, from where you are now. If you like creative stuff, how about exploring graphic arts? You're already in the right environment for that.

Old 11-17-2017, 06:16 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Do you not have rent and other bills that need to get paid? I would assume that money has to factor into this decision and a dishwasher probably is going to make considerably less then a print shop worker

Old 11-17-2017, 06:24 PM

210 posts, read 393,954 times
I am currently living at home. I pay my cell phone bill and I think I'll have to be paying rent to my parents when we move in a few months. A dishwasher job would be minimum wage which is only 25 cents less than what I get paid now. But financial issues aside, would it be hard to explain myself to potential employers?

Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 PM

994 posts, read 968,591 times
Alot of dishwasher positions probably wont even question it. Its just washing dishes they could care less as long as you get them clean.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
I don’t think this will be a problem. Getting a restaurant dishwasher job is often just a matter of timing. If you show up when they need one, you get the job. Doesn’t matter too much what your job history is.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:28 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,886 times
Over night security guard at a warehouse.

Low stress but also low pay.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:51 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I've been working in a print shop for 3 years now and I've decided it's not what I want to do. I even went to trade school to help me land this job. I think I want to do something completely different, maybe something creative. At the print shop, I'm either stressing out or really bored with no in between.

I have 2 years of experience as a dishwasher from years ago. Do you think it would be hard to explain myself to employers who see that I want to go from working in a print shop to washing dishes? I know I'll be bored, but I'll force myself through that. I believe the much lower stress would help clear my mind and let me explore what I'm interested in. Maybe I can omit the fact that I took a trade course in Printing to help me land the job I'm currently in.

What do you guys think? I'm not sure the real reason why I want to work as a dishwasher would make a good impression to potential employers.
you can get any job you want, especially entry level. low stress boring jobs, security is where its at. you will be bored out of your mind.

with a printing background, and wanting to maybe be creative, why are you having a problem? dont they go hand in hand? you are bored , maybe because you work for some one and doing commercial printing?

build your bank, grind at it. you will eventually have the opportunity to do your own thing. As you are young, get a program and teach yourself design. or whatever your interest is , research it , practice and apply yourself. time should be spent equally between crap you have to do and crap you want to do.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:52 AM

439 posts, read 345,771 times
Lookup paid roommate positions on CL. Seems perfect for you. much of the time you are paid to sleep

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/ed...377651934.html

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/np...368706652.html

Then when you are at home, you can be doing a second gig to add to your hourly wage such as doing taxes seasonally for H&R block

Low pay and an entry level job but you can take on as many taxes to do as you wish.

There are other jobs you are paid to sleep, I believe.

I know someone who did this for 2 years.

Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Some folks are very good at managing money and can live on minimum wage. For them a low stress low wage job is perfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment