Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 09:13 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,606,433 times

Advertisements

I was talking with my step father, and he said if I'm looking to make money, I could open my own retail store, then hire a pharmacist, and eventually start a chain. This idea intrigues me, and I was wondering if there are any good books I can read so I know what I'm getting myself into and give me a chance to closer study strategies. I've already gotten a college degree, and if it taught me anything, its that you don't learn anything new in college you didn't already know from middle school or maybe high school, so I think I'd prefer to teach myself business than go back and get another bachelors in something. I have a rudimentary understanding of retail business from working as a pharmacy tech, and even know some of the laws and regulations, but what I know is just a drop in the bucket compared to what I need to know.

Please tell me what books I should study
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 PM

2,921 posts, read 2,170,187 times
i appreciate your persistence in trying to find something that works for you.

opening an independent pharmacy is a heavy lift when it comes to competing with the big chains. besides all the issues of creating a viable retail business you have the added regulatory issues related to having a pharmacy in your store.

if you're on reddit i'd suggest posting your question in the r/pharmacy subreddit.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:54 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,117,464 times
Do you have about $30K-$50K in cash right now?

Just some stuff to think about here, although this doesn't cover the state and federal regulations you would need to know with operating a pharmacy:

https://www.inc.com/articles/201108/...ail-store.html

Old 11-06-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Do you have about $30K-$50K in cash right now?

Just some stuff to think about here, although this doesn't cover the state and federal regulations you would need to know with operating a pharmacy:

https://www.inc.com/articles/201108/...ail-store.html
more like 14k

Old 11-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
i appreciate your persistence in trying to find something that works for you.

opening an independent pharmacy is a heavy lift when it comes to competing with the big chains. besides all the issues of creating a viable retail business you have the added regulatory issues related to having a pharmacy in your store.

if you're on reddit i'd suggest posting your question in the r/pharmacy subreddit.
Well, one step at a time, I guess.
What about JUST retail?

(by the way, my fallback is getting that MSW just so I have a better shot at a sweet, sweet federal job)

Old 11-07-2017, 06:46 AM

12,112 posts, read 23,357,181 times
I don't think your step father has any idea how much money that actually takes.

What kind of retail? It is a pretty vast category.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:03 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,088,474 times
Are you aware that retail is collapsing right now? More stores have closed in 2017, generally regarded as a decent economy, than in 2008, the height of the recession.

To start discussing retail, you need to determine a few facts.

What is your product? That will roughly determine gross margin and inventory turn.

Expected gross sales? That, along with your gross margin will tell you how much you can spend on expenses, such as rent, labor, marketing, etc.

How will you capitalize the business? Will you have to pay back a loan or partners?

Those are very broad retail questions. Drilling down to pharmacies, which I know very little about, other questions arise.

How will you get a contract with insurance companies? It seems most prescriptions are partially paid for by insurance, so if you don’t have the ability to take a variety of plans you are restricting your market.

Looking at Walgreens and rite-aid (now owned by Walgreens), they seem to be stores filled with snacks, beach balls, liquor, and other stuff. The pharmacy itself is a minor portion. I suspect that they cannot survive on the pharmacy alone. What products other than prescription drugs will you sell?

Old 11-07-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't think your step father has any idea how much money that actually takes.

What kind of retail? It is a pretty vast category.
I was thinking of maybe a general store. Maybe a snow cone stand because I don't have a lot of capital.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,592,305 times
Get a food cart or something. It can be a good starting point. Sounds more up your alley at this point. Then as time goes on keep learning and move up to bigger and better things.

Old 11-07-2017, 07:56 AM

13,726 posts, read 12,505,161 times
It can be done. IF you offer free delivery you're already halfway to being competitive with the "big chains."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment