Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 01:17 PM

46 posts, read 34,902 times

Advertisements

In my personal life, I know a few people who constantly complain about nasty bosses and people being mean to them at work. What they don't tell you is that they are bad at their jobs and/or they goof off rather than work.

Talk to them about their jobs enough and they drop little hints that they are the problem. I know a woman who hated one job, complained that it was hostile, and she likes her new job because they let her use Facebook at work.

Then another person I know hated his manager who was a complete jerk, complained about him all the time, and ultimately he was fired for playing with his cell phone at work.

Remember there are always two sides to every story.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
At times.. But I have also seen great employees complain and try and alleviate those issues and it fell on deaf ears up until mass layoffs hit or business took a complete dive. . If there is an underlying theme of complaints of sucky management, chances are it isn't a coincidence and companies don't usually deal with the problem until they have no choice but to do so. When in fact they should have dealt with the problem MUCH sooner and they probably would have prevented the ultimate downfall from happening. I have mentioned and identified problems and given solutions in the past that never should have happened to begin with and didn't become a "problem" until loss of business occurred, pissed off customers happened, operations took a hit etc. By that time it was too late. The problem is employees in most places are ignored today and whatever they say falls on deaf ears and when things finally fall off a cliff there is no choice but to finally deal with the problem.

The real problem is, s*** should be fixed BEFORE things fall off a cliff and that doesn't happen today. Most employers are reactive today.. Not proactive. If you prevent things from happening, they won't happen. 9 times out of 10.

Ive come to the conclusion its mainly an "ego" thing from the part of upper management or turning a blind eye. They won't admit they screwed up, made mistakes, made bad hires etc. Everyone makes mistakes. But the smart ones will fix the mistakes before it becomes worse

Old 11-04-2017, 01:25 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Funny how you say there's 2 sides to every story, but you only show 2 and they support your side.

To me, "Mean" bosses would be like the one I have/had who promotes on the basis of favoritism. Another agency who works besides ours used to do that, until people complained and then they went to merit based promotions. That's a good agency/bosses.

Bad employee? I know I've not been the greatest, but after being made fun of in front of your co-workers for an accident that happened 3 months previous, well do you really expect me to enjoy their company? Always being wary of another veiled insult?

Yes 2 sides to every story, let's be fair and not stick to one side.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
Most people never learn to manage upwards. In fact, most have never even HEARD of the idea of managing their bosses. That's right. Why leave your relationship with the boss to fate?

We're not talking about kissing up (brown-nosing). Bosses are human also and want to be respected. So one should learn how the boss likes her or his information. Lots of detail or little detail and only a 'big picture' summary? Do they want you to tell them every problem, or only the ones you can't solve yourself right away? And so forth.

I learned early on that few people like to hear the problems only. They want the problem presented along with a solution. And in thinking through the solutions, one can skew things in a favourable direction in the solution that is presented.

Old 11-04-2017, 01:46 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I always wonder about the posters on this forum who post never ending moan fests about how bad bosses and managers are, how evil and unfeeling corporate monsters are, how terrible the current work climate is, so on and so forth. Some of these posters create variations of the same old tired complaints about how bad the work environment is.

I always take such complaints with a huge grain of salt. I've worked for bad managers, I've worked for good ones, but overall I have no complaints as a whole.

Usually people who complain about these things nonstop have issues themselves that they need to work on instead of deflecting blame onto other things

Old 11-04-2017, 01:48 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,983,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Most people never learn to manage upwards. In fact, most have never even HEARD of the idea of managing their bosses. That's right. Why leave your relationship with the boss to fate?

We're not talking about kissing up (brown-nosing). Bosses are human also and want to be respected. So one should learn how the boss likes her or his information. Lots of detail or little detail and only a 'big picture' summary? Do they want you to tell them every problem, or only the ones you can't solve yourself right away? And so forth.

Respected is one thing. You have to EARN it though. Respect isn't given. its earned. Most bosses want to be "worshipped" not respected. Even if they completely suck and are running the company into the ground

Old 11-04-2017, 03:17 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
To me, "managing up" is sucking up. I've always only been myself, and that was good enough in most workplaces. I can count on one hand the number of bosses I've had that were truly terrible. Even the ones other employees complained about didn't really give me grief, and I never did anything extra to earn any favor. If I think you're a decent person, I'll chat you up because I like to learn about people--not because I'm trying to "manage up". If I think you're a crappy person I'm going to do my job and have very little interaction with you. If you are a sorry excuse for a human being, you will learn a lesson the hard way if you don't exercise self control and leave me alone. "Boss" be damned.

Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 PM

897 posts, read 1,179,807 times
No.

One of the best, hardest working co-workers I've ever seen (my manager) was constantly abused and mistreated by both of her bosses and she knew far more than them. The company couldn't have survived without her. She was constantly complaining but did her work like an ace. All of her children died in a car accident and this same employer told her to "just get the work done", and gave her one single day off to grieve. She used that to keep her mind off of the incident, but she eventually quit.

So... no. Not all complainers are bad workers.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:42 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor8712 View Post
In my personal life, I know a few people who constantly complain about nasty bosses and people being mean to them at work. What they don't tell you is that they are bad at their jobs and/or they goof off rather than work.

Talk to them about their jobs enough and they drop little hints that they are the problem. I know a woman who hated one job, complained that it was hostile, and she likes her new job because they let her use Facebook at work.

Then another person I know hated his manager who was a complete jerk, complained about him all the time, and ultimately he was fired for playing with his cell phone at work.

Remember there are always two sides to every story.
Alternatively, mean bosses can create a hostile working environment and stress can lower productivity.

I'll put it to you this way, Costco workers are much happier than Walmart workers.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:57 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
The way how I look at this, everyone know exactly if they are good employee or not, but that doesn't mean letting employer abuse you. One way of dealing with it is simply not complaint about it, and maybe inform the manager, and if nothing is done, simply move on and look for another job. You are the only person out there looking out for yourself. Don't expect others to watch your six.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment