Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 09:24 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,587,883 times

Advertisements

Called a meeting with my boss and told her I was leaving. I loved my old job and it was strictly a strategical career move. She not only understood but wished me well and told me she was proud of me. I gave a month's notice and kept working hard during that. They told me if I ever want to come back they'll find a position for me.

I left to go into the public sector which oddly both paid better and had better benefits plus they'll pay for further education. It was a no brainer and my boss said I'd be an idiot not to go. We're still friends and hang out and keep in touch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
I quit with a friendly face to face with my new manager. Then I sent her an email to formalize it. I still talk to her on Facebook. There was no need for hostility or drama.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM

792 posts, read 497,544 times
2:45 pm, composed the following email:
Quote:
As of 3p today I resign from [role]. Thank you for the opportunity.
They are all in jail (last I heard anyway) for SEC fraud.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:36 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,304,205 times
The last time I quit a job I did a formal letter of resignation that I emailed to my boss (he was traveling at the time) on a Friday afternoon. I gave 2 weeks notice. I quit because we were relocating out of state, and told him as much in the letter, thanking him for the opportunity to work with him and that I hoped to use him as a reference during my job hunt in my new area.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:12 PM

556 posts, read 789,298 times
I had a week to go until official retirement and was having a bad day. I just stopped working, went to my locker cleaned it out and told a friend my locker was available. Hit the time clock walked out the door and have never been back. It sure felt good to stick it to the company I was at for 25 years.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:14 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,744,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Called my boss, who worked in a different state and let him know that I was resigning, and that he would see a wriitten letter of resignation via email within an hour. I gave two weeks notice.

Sent the resignation letter to him and CC'd HR.

The next day he showed up as the office opened, took my keys, told me my computer access had been shut down, let me know that I would be getting the two weeks of pay for the notice I gave, and sent me on my way. It wasn't particularly hostile, but it wasn't very friendly either. Just soulless business.

A lot of businesses will do this especially if they think your new job will be a conflict of interest.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:36 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,468,196 times
Formally handed it to HR. They then sent a copy to my Dept mngr.

I,a few days later,conversed with the dpt mngr confirming she recd the notice. After that it was ten days of digs and contrived limitations imposed.
I recall leaving with a refreshing smile..
I seriously am starting to carry the...I'll give them the same amount of notice they give when terminating the employment. Ten mins and save a tree

Old 10-20-2017, 05:56 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,674,572 times
I do a couple of things.

1. Write a formal letter of resignation two weeks in advance.
2. Hand deliver the resignation to my manager, followed up by the email copy to him and the HR department.
3. I spend the next two weeks ensuring all of my work is complete and provide enough written instructions for my replacement to perform my job without too much hassle.
4. I walk around and speak to each person on my team, shake their hands, and wish them the best.

I almost always leave on good terms because you never know when you need that bridge again.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:37 AM

20,940 posts, read 28,455,262 times
When I was let go from an office job I wasn't allowed to say goodbye to my employees. I just went to my desk, took what was mine and left. In fact the office manager stood over me while I was cleaning out my desk to make sure I did not take anything that wasn't mine. Why would I want a stapler or roll of scotch tape LOL. The reason was financial difficulties within the company. After I left that day 2 more were let go the next day.

Old 10-20-2017, 06:42 AM

214 posts, read 180,689 times
I scheduled a meeting with my manager and told him I had an opportunity that I could not pass up. Also had a resignation letter in hand in case they needed it.

Then I told my colleagues about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment