Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:49 AM

1,104 posts, read 921,775 times

Advertisements

Recently my firm has decided that my department is no longer to dress formally, but a new uniform will be enforced.

My department is a very busy office with a varied selection of roles. Most of them are pure customer service. They also include admin. This is the area which I work on. However, in the next few months, it will be enforced to wear a company uniform.

We will have a small selection of T-shirts (a whole choice of 2) to choose from. However, supply will offer 1 for most people. They are very bright, with the company logo clearly displayed. No supervisors or managers will be required to wear the uniform.

To be fair, the dress code has been somewhat slack. But most busy offices I've experienced working have been the same and many of them are much worse. The initiative has been introduced by a new area manager who is implementing a big round of changes.

Personally I think that this is a very demeaning way to work. The company argues that it promotes professionalism and teamwork, but it suggests the company's own individuals do not retain the ability to dress themselves, which is very insulting. It also connotes that individuals cannot be trusted, therefore this is a loss of the teamwork idea, not its belief. Finally it is a blanket punishment for a rule which maybe one or two employees break occasionally and extremely heavy-handed for its kind.

I've worked for all kinds of offices in various administrative roles - engineering, finance, insurance, and this. I've NEVER been forced to wear a uniform.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
Recently my firm has decided that my department is no longer to dress formally, but a new uniform will be enforced.

My department is a very busy office with a varied selection of roles. Most of them are pure customer service. They also include admin. This is the area which I work on. However, in the next few months, it will be enforced to wear a company uniform.

We will have a small selection of T-shirts (a whole choice of 2) to choose from. However, supply will offer 1 for most people. They are very bright, with the company logo clearly displayed. No supervisors or managers will be required to wear the uniform.

To be fair, the dress code has been somewhat slack. But most busy offices I've experienced working have been the same and many of them are much worse. The initiative has been introduced by a new area manager who is implementing a big round of changes.

Personally I think that this is a very demeaning way to work. The company argues that it promotes professionalism and teamwork, but it suggests the company's own individuals do not retain the ability to dress themselves, which is very insulting. It also connotes that individuals cannot be trusted, therefore this is a loss of the teamwork idea, not its belief. Finally it is a blanket punishment for a rule which maybe one or two employees break occasionally and extremely heavy-handed for its kind.

I've worked for all kinds of offices in various administrative roles - engineering, finance, insurance, and this. I've NEVER been forced to wear a uniform.

What do you think?
I think you'll have to spend a little less of your own money on clothing.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:01 PM

268 posts, read 283,293 times
Quote:

To be fair, the dress code has been somewhat slack. But most busy offices I've experienced working have been ?

I don't see why a dress code would be that big of a deal, it seems to make things easier. It's actually better they provide shirts, it cuts down time on trying to find something to wear and buying a ton of clothes.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:36 PM

12,113 posts, read 23,340,934 times
I think you are overreacting.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:41 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,343,669 times
I think if you do not like the dress code where you currently work you should open your own business or find a job that does not have a dress code.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:50 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,403,261 times
People get to wear a t-shirt to work and still gripe.....

Old 09-22-2017, 01:51 PM

206 posts, read 154,746 times
I think this is weird. I had a job interview for a design engineer position, in which all you do is sit in front of a computer CAD'ing away, or in the manufacturing area for some reason. And they all had uniforms. Khaki tan pants with a black polo shirt with the company logo. It was the weirdest thing I ever saw. I understand if you have a position where you interact with customers or what not, but if you're going to be in the office all day, it's weird.

I guess a positive is that you don't have to worry about what to wear to work the next day.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:03 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,977,121 times
Quote:
What do you think?
It's management's decision, but it's unfortunate. Speaking personally, I'd rather wear a suit and tie every day than have to wear a company logo tee. I'm sure I'm in the minority.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:07 PM

28,697 posts, read 18,866,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
People get to wear a t-shirt to work and still gripe.....
And there is so much more to complain about working in a call center.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:23 PM

146 posts, read 100,577 times
Quote:

They are supervisors and are not subject to the policy. I don't see the purpose of making this observation. It seems to me that the purpose of the uniform policy is to easily identify employees versus supervisors.

Quote:
In any successful firm you are expected to dress professionally and in accordance with firm dress code standards. If that standard is not being followed then it is Management's responsibility to fix the problem. In this case it appears to be providing a uniform for the employees.

Quote:

What do you think?
Although this is your interpretation it does not necessarily reflect everyone else's. The company is providing you a paycheck in exchange for you doing work for them. As previously stated by other posters if you don't like it you are welcome to seek employment elsewhere. Everyone else in your firm is following the policy and you should do so as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment