Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 06:01 PM

942 posts, read 1,394,343 times

Advertisements

I would like to know how others would handle this situation. I work with someone that many people at work have ostrasized for various reasons. I am aware she has emotional problems and I remained friendly to her. She tells me constantly that she is glad I am at work, or she would have no one to talk too. I have been very sick lately and was close to pneumonia. I stayed home and took the antibiotics and meds until I was better. This is my first few days back , and someothers also have been sick and are still at home getting over it. Today this person came to work and immediately comes right up to me sick and I said in front of some others that were there, that I could not take anymore illness right now, and I would have to go home. I said quite frankly you should have called in and come in on another day when you feel better. The nature of our work riding in a van all day, is a breeding ground for respitory illnesses, especially when someone is sick. She became very loud and argumentative and said I was rude and that Jesus would judge me for it. She then went to other people in front of me and said again Jesus will judge me, and then complained more about me.I said nothing, and basically it isn't a very classy place to work to begin with. I told the supervisor I was going home because of her illness. I said I could not risk being sick any more that I am a diabetic and another infection could do me in right now. I was not given any trouble for going home but I no longer care to be around this person. The employer has had numerous problems with her but limited actions were taken with her. She in many respects seems homeless or almost there. She is an extremely needly person, that can be the problem for anyone feeling sorry for her. The employer has constantly put her with me, because they felt she had more of a comfort level with me versus the ones that ostrasized her. What would others do if you had someone at work like this. I don't want to be mean to her, but I cannot tolerate her behavior, while others seem to have limited contact with her and its allowed. I just wanted to add to this, that this is a job that one can be off whenever they want, it is parttime has no benefits, a simple phone call is all one needs to be off for however long they need. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2008, 06:20 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,518,025 times
I would try to find another job. The atmosphere that you work in doesn't sound very conducive to good health. The co-worker experience is just icing on the cake, so to speak. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:40 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,452,936 times
I am so glad I work at home.
I just wouldn't know what to say and probably would start laughing in her face, maybe have picked up the phone and told her to give him (Jesus) a call.

This illustrates that no good deed goes unpunished, here you try to be good to this person and she turns on you.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,361,260 times
I also think maybe you should find a new job, I've worked with people like that, they never get better, just worst, sooner than later she will cause you a lot more trouble. RUN

Old 03-15-2008, 09:51 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
Unfortunately, your co-worker sounds like a person w/ "issues." No way to know if she has a personality disorder or some other mental health issues, but it sure sounds like it . . . in the end, it doesn't really matter what her problem is - cause all you need to know is that she does not understand boundaries and will turn on you in a heartbeat the second she is challenged about her behavior.

You need to clearly establish boundaries w/ her. If you can't get another job, I would be very cool to this person. She may not get the message and may try to push you to pay attention to her. You are probably going to have to tell her that you will do your best to do your job but you are not interested in socializing w/ her. That is about the nicest way I can think of to brush her off, LOL.

She has problems and your mission in life is not to make her feel good about herself, even tho you did try to be kind to her. Some people you can't be nice to . . .

I bet she will next try to guilt you into saying you are sorry for speaking up about her spreading germs, LOL. Sorry you are having to endure this kind of ridiculous situation.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 PM

942 posts, read 1,394,343 times
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I have decided to look for other employment. Thankfully I only need to work part time, and am not looking for a career somewhere. I also would not tolerate another outburst from this person. If I found the employer continues to place me with her despite her problems, I would notify Human Resources and let them investigate this strange situation. Hopefully I find some little part time job in the near future and can just get away from the whole damn place.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:46 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,034,475 times
that would be the best thing to do,get another job and everything should be ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment