Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:27 PM

801 posts, read 548,396 times

Advertisements

I work in the Finance department as an Analulyst and my company outsources a lot of our internal IT support to Bulgaria. Recently, I asked them to give me access to one of my department shared file. They did.

The problem is, i had no idea how to locate the files on my computer since i never worked in them before. The other Analyst who works with those files try to gi lve me a hand but she couldn't find them on my computer as well.

I sent them a request to IT asking if they could remotely take control of my computer to point me where the files are. Instead, they reply by sending me a "dummy" guide on how to figure it out. Do they not know it's their damn job to do this stuff??

If this had happened to you, would you feel offended enough to forwadd their reply to HR to correct their behavior? Or am i over reacting?

Old 07-24-2017, 12:31 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
IT's job is to help you find files on your shared drive?

Um.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:35 PM

901 posts, read 748,153 times
ID 10T error

Old 07-24-2017, 12:37 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,529,520 times
Are they outside the United States? If so, they may have their own sense of manners and business etiquette and your request may have sounded rude to them.

While it may feel good to put them on blast to HR for their 'rudeness', I don't see what HR can do about this.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:06 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,913,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
I work in the Finance department as an Analulyst and my company outsources a lot of our internal IT support to Bulgaria. Recently, I asked them to give me access to one of my department shared file. They did.

The problem is, i had no idea how to locate the files on my computer since i never worked in them before. The other Analyst who works with those files try to gi lve me a hand but she couldn't find them on my computer as well.

I sent them a request to IT asking if they could remotely take control of my computer to point me where the files are. Instead, they reply by sending me a "dummy" guide on how to figure it out. Do they not know it's their damn job to do this stuff??

If this had happened to you, would you feel offended enough to forwadd their reply to HR to correct their behavior? Or am i over reacting?
And how are they rude? You give us zero information on them being rude...incompetent maybe, but not rude.

Hey, it's a global economy. Businesses outsource areas outside of there key work, particularly the more mundane administrative work. That's a fact. Also is the fact that many of these outsourced operations simply do not work out, specially with IT support. Also is the trend in business to get into more IT self-support, in other words figure some things out yourself.
Anyways usually there should be a key person (NOT in HR) that manages this business process outsource supplier. That's who you should complain to.

But, you are using a misleading title to this post. That's considered, well - RUDE.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:13 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
Your probably doesn't sound IT related.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:44 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,734,856 times
Different cultures have different ideas about what's polite and impolite. I'm not sure that what you were asking is even part of what the IT people should be doing, but even if it is, sending you a document so you could learn how to handle this problem yourself doesn't seem rude to me, to be honest. I am not familiar with Bulgarian culture. I know that if you wanted a Western European to handle the problem for you, you might have to say, "please do it this way." If someone from an Asian culture sent you the manual, it would be because they would not want to offend you by assuming that you could not do it yourself. Business is increasingly more globalized, so it's probably a good idea to look into the cultural norms for these types of situations instead of expecting everyone to act like an American.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:55 PM

23,348 posts, read 18,930,669 times
Hmm, for all these years I thought Americans were supposed to be the rude ones (aka the ugly American stereotype). Rude is most often misunderstanding. If you try to get to the bottom of the problem and make sure they understand and THEN they continue to be rude, maybe it is deserved.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:48 PM

10,052 posts, read 18,096,267 times
OP, they sent you a guide -- what you called a "dummy" guide (did they call it that?) -- and may have thought that would take care of the problem. Given time-zone differences, maybe there is not a way for them to remotely work on your PC.

Would I feel "offended" by this and go running to HR? "These rude foreign IT guys sent me a guide about how to find something instead of taking control of my computer and showing me that way." How far do you think that will go in HR?

(And your title ... as someone else pointed out, IT is rude. I mean, seriously, a blanket statement that "foreigners are rude" because you've had a less-than-wonderful interaction with one or two? )

Old 07-24-2017, 04:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,523,253 times
Are all people who call for IT support stupid? Imagine if the IT person was posting on CD. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.