Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM

730 posts, read 2,255,907 times

Advertisements

Well I've been a single parent for 3 years now and up until this year I had been as dependable an employee as my childless counterparts. My attendance in most cases was actually better. My children Just did not get sick much and when school was out I had several quality sitters on speed dial.

Well this past July I started a new job and for whatever reason It has been like it is cursed or something. This cold and flu season has been harsh at the kids school. It has worked like this- One child brings home the virus and is sick-they are home for 2 days then the other child gets it and is home for a day or 2-at this point I have already missed the better part of a work week. I sometimes go to work even if I am ill just because I feel like I cannot call in.I have always stayed home with the kids when they are sick because I felt like they needed me not some random sitter, but If this continues I may seek out a nanny type who is willing to comfort sick children.I have also had sitters cancel on me MORNING of lately!

To make matters worse I am the only single parent in my large department at work. Everyone else is either older or has a spouse who is readily availible in these situations. Not a whine-but it only makes it more noticeable!! A majority of them ask for any time off a year to 6 months ahead and rarely miss.

I still have sick/annual leave left- but this is starting to concern me. I do not want to be the employee everyone hates. I take both my job and my children seriously.

Please share your thoughts on this-especially if you are a non parent.Do you feel like this is unfair to workers like you?? Is there anything tactful I can say to let my co-worker know that it's not that I don't care about work? Especially working with a demographic that can't relate.

Last edited by NOEM1226; 03-11-2008 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 11:32 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Well I've been a single parent for 3 years now and up until this year I had been as dependable an employee as my childless counterparts. My attendance in most cases was actually better. My children Just did not get sick much and when school was out I had several quality sitters on speed dial.

Well this past July I started a new job and for whatever reason It has been like it is cursed or something. This cold and flu season has been harsh at the kids school. It has worked like this- One child brings home the virus and is sick-they are home for 2 days then the other child gets it and is home for a day or 2-at this point I have already missed the better part of a work week. I sometimes go to work even if I am ill just because I feel like I cannot call in.I have always stayed home with the kids when they are sick because I felt like they needed me not some random sitter, but If this continues I may seek out a nanny type who is willing to comfort sick children.I have also had sitters cancel on me MORNING of lately!

To make matters worse I am the only single parent in my large department at work. Everyone else is either older or has a spouse who is readily availible in these situations. Not a whine-but it only makes it more noticeable!! A majority of them ask for any time off a year to 6 months ahead and rarely miss.

I still have sick/annual leave left- but this is starting to concern me. I do not want to be the employee everyone hates. I take both my job and my children seriously.

Please share your thoughts on this-especially if you are a non parent.Do you feel like this is unfair to workers like you?? Is there anything tactful I can say to let my co-worker know that it's not that I don't care about work? Especially working with a demographic that can't relate.

Just don't say anything. Your priority is to your children and to your job. You need both of them. Who cares if someone has children or doesn't have children or has children that are grown up? I understand what you're going through; yes, it is hard raising children and working a full-time job. It's a part of life and there's no getting around it. Your work speaks for itself; I wouldn't say anything else. There is no need for your co-workers to "validate" you. Millions of working parents know exactly what you're talking about. Wishing you the best.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:25 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,862,079 times
Do your job and don't expect others to pick up your slack. Nobody will care if you take care of your job. If you play the "single mom" card and try to shift your load to others, well, yes, they will start to resent you. They have sick parents, dogs, hangnails, hangovers, etc., too.

You chose your situation. Your co-workers did, too. They don't care that your choice is children...their choice may be a cricket with a missing foot. Both of you may be really concerned....not the other workers problem.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:32 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,930,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Just don't say anything. Your priority is to your children and to your job. You need both of them. Who cares if someone has children or doesn't have children or has children that are grown up? I understand what you're going through; yes, it is hard raising children and working a full-time job. It's a part of life and there's no getting around it. Your work speaks for itself; I wouldn't say anything else. There is no need for your co-workers to "validate" you. Millions of working parents know exactly what you're talking about. Wishing you the best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Do your job and don't expect others to pick up your slack. Nobody will care if you take care of your job. If you play the "single mom" card and try to shift your load to others, well, yes, they will start to resent you. They have sick parents, dogs, hangnails, hangovers, etc., too.

You chose your situation. Your co-workers did, too. They don't care that your choice is children...their choice may be a cricket with a missing foot. Both of you may be really concerned....not the other workers problem.
I agree with both of these posters. It doesn't bother me when single parents use their time for their kids. I kind of feel bad for them that they can't just rip a day b/c they have to save the time for their kids needs . Before I had kids, it didn't bother me either, but I don't worry about other people at work. I worry about what I need to do and don't get caught up in the "Oh she's out again for a sick kid" crowd. You have time to use, it's none of my business what you're doing with it.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:44 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,520,088 times
It's tough to be a parent working. I am a single parent too, and I would advise you keep a low profile on things. Employers don't like "families" and see that as a detriment like age, handicaps, etc. Many of them won't see you as human, so don't expect that from them.
I did a favor for a married woman with small kids at work once. She later went behind my back and did something pretty nasty to help someone who didn't have the same credentials as me, to undercut me and promote her.
So don't expect people to see you as different.
I bought a lot of paper plates back then.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
It's tough to be a parent working. I am a single parent too, and I would advise you keep a low profile on things. Employers don't like "families" and see that as a detriment like age, handicaps, etc. Many of them won't see you as human, so don't expect that from them.
I did a favor for a married woman with small kids at work once. She later went behind my back and did something pretty nasty to help someone who didn't have the same credentials as me, to undercut me and promote her.
So don't expect people to see you as different.
I bought a lot of paper plates back then.
Employers don't like families? Huh? Employers pretty much don't care as long as you do your job.

If an employee comes in late and complains about her/his sick dog and leaves early and sluffs off work to take care of the sick dog.... Guess what? The employer and the other employees will tire of this behavior. Substitute a child/ren ...same thing. Nobody cares about your personal life if you keep it personal.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Employers don't like families? Huh? Employers pretty much don't care as long as you do your job.

If an employee comes in late and complains about her/his sick dog and leaves early and sluffs off work to take care of the sick dog.... Guess what? The employer and the other employees will tire of this behavior. Substitute a child/ren ...same thing. Nobody cares about your personal life if you keep it personal.

Ohh..an employment agency told me that once...don't let them know you have a family. I know, it's all weird. No one believes any of it.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Ohh..an employment agency told me that once...don't let them know you have a family. I know, it's all weird. No one believes any of it.

I'm sure an employment agency told you not to mention your family. I'm sure they told you not to mention anything personal.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I'm sure an employment agency told you not to mention your family. I'm sure they told you not to mention anything personal.
Yes, that's exactly what they said. Believe it.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what they said. Believe it.

Sorry if you thought I was being sarcastic. I was not. I am sure the employment agency advised you to NOT talk about your "family". You should not talk about family or other personal matters on an interview or at work until you understand the dynamics of your work situation.

Very limited personal info is the way to go at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment