Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,847 times

Advertisements

My general manager has become unpopular among many people in my department. The tensions became visible recently when some in the department pushed forward the issue of leadership to the higher echelon in the company.

Reluctant to get involved in office politics, I have been acting the role of “an observer” so far.

Now my manager, who seems to be under increasing pressure, told us that he would seek face-to-face meetings with each of us in the department, to get feedback on his management and the work atmosphere. I was told some leaders in the company want my manager to sort out things before they consider some kind of intervention.

It sounds like a good idea. However, I’m not sure if my manager is sincere in having a frank talk, or if he just likes to seek out who is his ally, who his enemy. I’ve learned that he had tried to bribe one of his opponents by quietly giving this person a bigger-than-usual bonus. This act is not really suitable for an ethical manager, in my opinion.

In this situation, what should you say when meeting your boss? Will you be frank to point out his strong points and flaws?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,708,001 times
If I were you, I would tell him that you would be taking notes if he does not mind, and he should not. Then stick to the facts about what traits you feel a manager should exhibit:
loyal/supportive, competent in the business, optimistic, or dependable, open communicator.
I don't think I'd give him any specific examples; if those are necessary, I'd save those for HR when they get involved.
Unfortunately there are LOTS of managers out there that should not be in those positions; believe me, we are going through something like that too. Good luck to you!

Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakenidentity View Post
My general manager has become unpopular among many people in my department. The tensions became visible recently when some in the department pushed forward the issue of leadership to the higher echelon in the company.

Reluctant to get involved in office politics, I have been acting the role of “an observer” so far.

Now my manager, who seems to be under increasing pressure, told us that he would seek face-to-face meetings with each of us in the department, to get feedback on his management and the work atmosphere. I was told some leaders in the company want my manager to sort out things before they consider some kind of intervention.

It sounds like a good idea. However, I’m not sure if my manager is sincere in having a frank talk, or if he just likes to seek out who is his ally, who his enemy. I’ve learned that he had tried to bribe one of his opponents by quietly giving this person a bigger-than-usual bonus. This act is not really suitable for an ethical manager, in my opinion.

In this situation, what should you say when meeting your boss? Will you be frank to point out his strong points and flaws?

The answer to your question is do you want to have a job afterwards or not? I would stay clear of this one and keep any answers positive and objective. Please understand that it's not a "good idea" to have a "frank talk" no matter what this boss says. This is because some of the biggest liars and manipulators say that "it's okay to be honest". Re-read what you've written about this particular boss. He fits the classic profile of a manipulator. Be wary. Do not fall for his tricks.

Last edited by Donna7; 03-10-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-10-2008, 07:16 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,538,194 times
You have a right to place your own written statement in your personnel file after any disussion with a superior. You also have a right to have someone there with you (I'd suggest someone from HR).

Old 03-10-2008, 07:17 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistakenidentity View Post

If it were me, I would take a hidden recorder into the meeting and record every second of it. And you should let him know- in a respective way- that he is not quite cutting it as a manager and that he needs to sharpen his people skills.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:28 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I would rather slit my throat and pull my own tonsils out bare handed then to have to endure such a meeting.

I'm clearly NOT management material.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:18 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,021,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If it were me, I would take a hidden recorder into the meeting and record every second of it. And you should let him know- in a respective way- that he is not quite cutting it as a manager and that he needs to sharpen his people skills.

you should do this just in case his actions are un-professional and if not you could always use it later in the future for any blackmail.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
First of all, I find it troubling that your manager wants one-on-one talks, w/o a third party in the room. I would never have such a discussion w/o another person in the room . . .and it should be someone from a neutral sector, such as HR.

"Frank talks" can precede such things as reprimands. It sounds to me that this guy is wanting to garner info - he is on an "intelligence" mission. He is going to use anything that is said - even specific examples - to put together his "defense" should he be called in to discuss his managerial role w/ higher ups.

Anything you say will not only be used against you, but also against your peers. If you say "We felt you handled the situation w/ xx client in a high-handed way. . . " it will get turned into "I had problems w/ xx ciient, b/c my staff would not back me up, blah blah."

I have seen it all b/f and this guy is simply not to be trusted. Nothing good will come of this discussion, especially if it is done behind closed doors and w/ no one else present.

You have managed to stay in a somewhat neutral position w/ your peers and this manager. I would not muddy the waters w/ either group by giving the mgr. "ammo" despite your intention NOT to do that - the Mgr. will twist your words and ferret out any crack in whatever instance - and wiggle through it - and use finger pointing and blame shifting to cover his own A$$.

The only "right" way to handle any discussions w/ employees would be for several people in upper management to call in people from your dept. individually or in a group . . . and ask specific questions . . . in an atmosphere that you each know is not a witch hunt, but is a "fact gathering" meeting. HR people should be in that meeting and everyone should be taking notes.

How do you avoid the one-on-one w/ your manager? Well, the best way may be a direct approach. You might consider saying "Hey, Jack, I just don't feel comfortable doing this. It just doesn't feel right. I have nothing to add to a discussion and really feel uncomfortable." See where that gets you.

Best to avoid this . . . and Good Luck!

Old 03-11-2008, 08:55 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
First of all, I find it troubling that your manager wants one-on-one talks, w/o a third party in the room. I would never have such a discussion w/o another person in the room . . .and it should be someone from a neutral sector, such as HR.

"Frank talks" can precede such things as reprimands. It sounds to me that this guy is wanting to garner info - he is on an "intelligence" mission. He is going to use anything that is said - even specific examples - to put together his "defense" should he be called in to discuss his managerial role w/ higher ups.

Anything you say will not only be used against you, but also against your peers. If you say "We felt you handled the situation w/ xx client in a high-handed way. . . " it will get turned into "I had problems w/ xx ciient, b/c my staff would not back me up, blah blah."

I have seen it all b/f and this guy is simply not to be trusted. Nothing good will come of this discussion, especially if it is done behind closed doors and w/ no one else present.

You have managed to stay in a somewhat neutral position w/ your peers and this manager. I would not muddy the waters w/ either group by giving the mgr. "ammo" despite your intention NOT to do that - the Mgr. will twist your words and ferret out any crack in whatever instance - and wiggle through it - and use finger pointing and blame shifting to cover his own A$$.

The only "right" way to handle any discussions w/ employees would be for several people in upper management to call in people from your dept. individually or in a group . . . and ask specific questions . . . in an atmosphere that you each know is not a witch hunt, but is a "fact gathering" meeting. HR people should be in that meeting and everyone should be taking notes.

How do you avoid the one-on-one w/ your manager? Well, the best way may be a direct approach. You might consider saying "Hey, Jack, I just don't feel comfortable doing this. It just doesn't feel right. I have nothing to add to a discussion and really feel uncomfortable." See where that gets you.

Best to avoid this . . . and Good Luck!
Thats what I was thinking. It gives the person calling the meeting alot of rope to hang the person who started this thread.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Thats what I was thinking. It gives the person calling the meeting alot of rope to hang the person who started this thread.
You got it, Lindsey. That manager is looking for a scapegoat and ways to shfit blame. Have seen it b/f and sadly, early in my career, had to deal w/ a jerk like this and at that time, I was naive and stupid . . . who knows anything at 22? I surely didn't. However, I quickly learned how to "swim w/ sharks."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment