Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:38 PM

305 posts, read 330,765 times

Advertisements

My friend seemed advise from her supervisor about a coworker who was treating her disrespectful and the supervisor told this coworker who complained about her. Of course she denied it. I would think a boss would bring it up in a more diplomatic way and say there have been some issues bought to my attention but not give any names.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:14 PM

89 posts, read 113,400 times
I've had situations in the past where my boss said he would speak to the person but would not bring up who told him. That is the more professional thing to do. You create more problems when you start saying "So-and-so said..."

Old 05-23-2017, 12:01 AM

146 posts, read 100,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rensational View Post
I've had situations in the past where my boss said he would speak to the person but would not bring up who told him. That is the more professional thing to do. You create more problems when you start saying "So-and-so said..."
Not professional at all and very unethical. The supervisor should get both in the room together and get the statement from both parties at the same time instead of trying to play detective. This would lead to more consistent results and ensures the truth is heard. If you speak to someone behind the back of the offended party then there's no telling what story they will make up without knowing/facing who created the allegation. I think the OP's supervisor handled it just fine.

Old 05-23-2017, 01:01 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
The boss is a gossip.
Don't expect anything to improve.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:14 AM

Well she offered to bring the coworker into the room to get to the bottom of it but then she's would have still just denied it and they would have ganged up on my friend.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
My friend seemed advise from her supervisor about a coworker who was treating her disrespectful and the supervisor told this coworker who complained about her. Of course she denied it. I would think a boss would bring it up in a more diplomatic way and say there have been some issues bought to my attention but not give any names.

The co worker isn't an idiot...she knew who went to the boss and why; of course she denied it. Your 'friend' either needs to get thicker skin or stand up for herself. Running to the boss every time someone 'disrespects' her is a waste of time.

When we have these issues we tell them to work it out amongst themselves, like adults, and only involve management if they can't deal with it on their own. Sometimes they do and sometimes we have to have a sit down with all parties present.

I have my own children at home to parent, I don't need to parent my employees.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
Well she offered to bring the coworker into the room to get to the bottom of it but then she's would have still just denied it and they would have ganged up on my friend.
Who's they? Was there more than one person being disrespectful to your friend?

Your friend should've asked for a sit down....that way it's all out on the table and the boss is there to lay out behavioral expectations. (we do this and document it carefully for both parties...if the offender continues, then we take to corrective action, but your friend also needs to choose her battles carefully)

Old 05-23-2017, 05:26 AM

Well I've had the same problem with a coworker and haven't said anything. My friend did it because she knew her coworker was purposely undermining her. I told her not to say anything because the boss will always side with the one being accused of something. That's how it always is....especially if they are a minority. Which she is.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:44 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Your 'friend' either needs to get thicker skin or stand up for herself. Running to the boss every time someone 'disrespects' her is a waste of time.

When we have these issues we tell them to work it out amongst themselves, like adults, and only involve management if they can't deal with it on their own.
This
We get treated disrespectfully now and then.
It's life.
Get over it.
You can't give others the power to ruin your day.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
The boss was out of line but so too was your friend. They need to get all parties in a room, talk it out and lay out a plan of action. From there if someone varies from that then the boss needs to be involved again. I had to do this once and it ultimately resulted in the other person being fired but he was a disrespectful jerk to everyone, I was just the only person to talk to him about it head on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment