Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 AM

432 posts, read 343,424 times

Advertisements

Do you own up to your mistakes? Do you learn from them and is experience a good teacher?

Do you get nervous about making mistakes? Do you pin the blame on others? These are some of my thoughts on mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,586,292 times
Own up. I always accept responsibility, analyze, ask for help if needed and correct the issue. And apologize. Never try to blame someone else as this will eventually bite you in the rear.

Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Depends on situation.

If it's huge, have eyewitnesses, and you can't avoid being implicated, fess up.

If not, and you have a chance that no one knows about it, or no one knows WHO did it, then don't be a hero and implicate yourself. Avoid discussing and don't admit to anything.

Old 05-15-2017, 12:06 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,790,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
Do you own up to your mistakes? Do you learn from them and is experience a good teacher?

Do you get nervous about making mistakes? Do you pin the blame on others? These are some of my thoughts on mistakes.

I own up to them. The worst they can do to me is lay me off. Which they won't do as they hate to pay UI. So, they won't promote me, but the funny thing is, I care not for the promotion.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,774 times
Quote:

The cover-up is worse than the mistake. I usually will not fire someone for a mistake, unless it is huge or overly stupid. You are out in a second for covering or attempting to cover a mistake up.

Old 05-15-2017, 01:29 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
People learn more from mistakes. I think one of the biggest issues is that people are afraid to fail. Now, careless mistakes.. that's a different story. Albeit we all make them.

Part of it is also the culture, some managers can't tolerate mistakes and are quick to criticize. In the long run, their employees tend to not produce as much since they are likely more risk averse... leading to less innovation.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
I own up to my mistakes.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,939 times
People are quick to praise themselves as honest and that they'll own up to mistakes, like here for instance. But my experience is that it's very rare in reality. Most will aggressively defend themselves even if the mistake is very small and understandable. It is hard to admit mistakes.

When someone makes a mistake, they usually attempt to cover it up. When confronted with the evidence, they can become extremely prickly and defensive, and go into denial mode. This behavior is pretty universal and not dependent on age, class, race, skill, rank etc. even people you think that are mature and respectable will eventually have a problem with it.

Two weeks ago a colleague who I'm friends with kept putting leaving their empty mug on my desk forcing me to clear it for them. I got tired of it and gently asked them to please take it back with them. They went out of character and shrieked "I never do that! I never!" I've probably if not definitely done the same thing too without realizing it.

There is an element of truth when people say "I'm always honest". In the small print, it says "Yeah, but it'll cost you. You'll pay for it. It'll cost you effort, time and stress. You won't get the truth out of me easily." It is easy to act high and mighty but it is hard to admit mistakes.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:27 AM

29,521 posts, read 22,668,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
People are quick to praise themselves as honest and that they'll own up to mistakes, like here for instance. But my experience is that it's very rare in reality. Most will aggressively defend themselves even if the mistake is very small and understandable. It is hard to admit mistakes.

When someone makes a mistake, they usually attempt to cover it up. When confronted with the evidence, they can become extremely prickly and defensive, and go into denial mode. This behavior is pretty universal and not dependent on age, class, race, skill, rank etc. even people you think that are mature and respectable will eventually have a problem with it.

Two weeks ago a colleague who I'm friends with kept putting leaving their empty mug on my desk forcing me to clear it for them. I got tired of it and gently asked them to please take it back with them. They went out of character and shrieked "I never do that! I never!" I've probably if not definitely done the same thing too without realizing it.

There is an element of truth when people say "I'm always honest". In the small print, it says "Yeah, but it'll cost you. You'll pay for it. It'll cost you effort, time and stress. You won't get the truth out of me easily." It is easy to act high and mighty but it is hard to admit mistakes.
Spot on with your analysis.

I never take at face value people who loudly proclaim how by the book they are and how much integrity they claim to have.

Many people don't own up to mistakes and if given an opportunity, they'll not mention it or try to blame someone else, or cover it up.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:34 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:

You should never "cover up" mistakes. Let the boss know what went wrong and why it went wrong and what you learned. If you don't know why it went wrong ask for help.

But don't repeat that mistake again because then you are revealing yourself as careless.

The time I made a huge mistake (which could have led to a fine and imprisonment), I gutted up and told the boss. He took care of the investigation and paperwork to prevent me from getting any blow back. I was grateful. He was happy because had I tried to cover it up, it could have lead to major problems for a lot more people - including him.

Sometimes having integrity will cost you, most times it will save you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment