Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 09:42 AM

604 posts, read 847,819 times

Advertisements

I am self employed and work from home, but due to rising health insurance costs I am considering getting a job at one of the large retailers for the health insurance. I've looked at company websites and the information on available benefits and what is considered full time are a bit vague. I have also heard that some retailers have waiting periods before employees qualify for health insurance. Does anyone here work for a major retailer (Target, Barnes & Noble, Costco, Sam's) and have some insight into what is considered full time employment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:29 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,959,922 times
Most retailers will keep you under a certain amount of hours in order to avoid giving health insurance. The insurance tends to be pretty expensive anyway. You have companies like Walmart that would rather have their employees use medicaid than provide them with insurance.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 AM

9,906 posts, read 14,265,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You have companies like Walmart that would rather have their employees use medicaid than provide them with insurance.

Walmart offers affordable health insurance to full and part-time employees.

Working at Walmart

Old 05-16-2017, 11:00 AM

8,339 posts, read 6,853,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

Working at Walmart
True, the only drawback is the PT workers have to wait 1 year before they can get it. I asked for only 4 hours off on a Sunday and for that alone I was made PT since I wasn't available "Anytime"

Old 05-16-2017, 11:14 AM

157 posts, read 125,789 times
Does Costco offer insurance? They generally treat there employees well.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:21 AM

404 posts, read 625,494 times
Starbucks?

Old 05-16-2017, 11:50 AM

6,227 posts, read 6,959,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post

Working at Walmart
Still, $25 per pay period is a lot especially when you're making near minimum wages. A lot of the workers just rely on medicaid.

Old 05-16-2017, 01:18 PM

10 posts, read 6,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
I am self employed and work from home, but due to rising health insurance costs I am considering getting a job at one of the large retailers for the health insurance. I've looked at company websites and the information on available benefits and what is considered full time are a bit vague. I have also heard that some retailers have waiting periods before employees qualify for health insurance. Does anyone here work for a major retailer (Target, Barnes & Noble, Costco, Sam's) and have some insight into what is considered full time employment?
Jakealope,

Each company offers different Group Health Insurance Packages to it's employees. A company will usually have a contract with a Major Medical Carrier, and you'll have access to their network. For example, some companies may have a contract that allows you to select a specific benefit plan with certain carriers. Others allow you to pick and choose plans and benefits. Usually at larger Fortune 500 companies, they offer pretty decent health insurance coverage across the board... There are outliers, but usually those are reserved for high-end retail or companies that want to maintain happy employees. I've heard Costco's Health Insurance plan is pretty good.

The other posters are correct as well.

In some cases, unless you have demonstrated yourself as extremely exception or important to the business, the retailer will not offer you those benefits. I'm not saying do not go for it, but if you go through retail for the benefits make sure they offer you a full-time position, and not a part-time position.

Could you tell us more about your situation looks like. Do you have an idea of what your must haves for health insurance are?

-Jason

Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,858,189 times
This is years ago, but every retailer that I worked for offered health insurance to full-time employees which were mostly managers.

Old 05-16-2017, 05:33 PM

36 posts, read 30,841 times
This isn't that desireable but the County In Home Support Services often offers a level of health insurance and you only have to work about 20-25 hrs per week depending...

Seems best for you to check out qualifying for Medicaid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment