Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 3,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
Your math coursework is fine, especially in regard to a MS in Biostats. If you want a PhD in Biostats at a top school (Univ of WA, JHU, etc), then it may be a different story.

It depends on what you want to do. I generally suggested that anyone who is interested in Data Science or statistics jobs should study stats or biostats. Most DS jobs are technical, and statistics jobs have increasingly gone that route also, so whatever you do , make sure to take some CS coursework OR learn to program well.
Thank you very much for your helpful commentary. I am only interested in a MS, not PhD. So, are you saying that the level of the math courses I'd take at a master's in biostats level would be easier than for a PhD? I was browsing through the descriptions of some of the coursework for my preferred schools and most of the classes seemed to have "introductory" or "basic grounding" as keywords, as opposed to the PhD courses which had "advanced".

I basically am very interested in anything related to epidemiology, infectious diseases, public health but at the same time I want to study something that'll be highly employable, well paid and sought after in the future and from my research so far, biostatistics seems to fit that bill perfectly. Plus, I wouldnt have to start from scratch, like I would if I were to do say, Medical School, since I already have what I think/hope is a pretty decent grounding in math and stats.

Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment