Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 09:22 AM

626 posts, read 904,417 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I have a mentee who loves Chemistry and wants to major in it in college. I just need general information about this major. Are Chemistry majors in demand? What type of jobs are available? What other routes can you take with a Chemistry degree? Chemistry or Chemical Engineer? Life experience preferred but all info/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. I found one discussion site but it was dated and not much US involvement.

This was also posted in the University forum.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,450,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
Hey all,

I have a mentee who loves Chemistry and wants to major in it in college. I just need general information about this major. Are Chemistry majors in demand? What type of jobs are available? What other routes can you take with a Chemistry degree? Chemistry or Chemical Engineer? Life experience preferred but all info/suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated. I found one discussion site but it was dated and not much US involvement.

Thank you.
NO! Although there is demand the a lot of the jobs are terrible. Companies are going to using staffing agencies to staff their bench science positions and those agencies rob their workers blind, provide no benefits, no professional development, pay $15-20 an hour and the companies just keep them on contract for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ghTNpY22OA

I'd either do chemical engineering or using the chemistry degree as a prereq for one of the healthcare professional programs.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,117,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
Hey all,

This was also posted in the University forum.

Thank you.
If you really want to do anything interesting with those, you probably have to go to get a pHd.

In which case, that person will figure out their path and interests as they go through school.

Day jobs for BS Chemistry and BS Chem E tend to be pretty uninspiring ... lab work, Environmental Engineering, Process Engineering, especially for somebody who has a passion for the stuff. I work with all of these types.

If I had a kid who had a passion for hard, physical science, I'd tell them to get a pHd and then try and get into academia.

Most people go into Chem E because there's a high average salary. You could not do a dumber thing IMHO.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM

944 posts, read 1,213,008 times
The average chemist is working in a factory for between $35-60k a year doing quality control or R&D. It's a decent, boring, middle class career that is absolutely nothing to write home about.

Chem E is where it's at. Only get a BS in Chem if you want to eventually get a PhD or go to med school or if you are fine with the boring, boring life of an industrial QC chemist

Old 04-20-2017, 12:11 PM

I would not get a PhD. They work for 5-7 years on a $15-30k stipend and end up with even worse job prospects. There are not enough jobs for PhD level Chemists, most are very very specialized, noone will hire them for BS level jobs as they are overqualified and any out of field jobs will also assume they are overqualified if they find out about the PhD.

I've seen some PhD scientists end up in very dire straits. There was one that asked about suicide last week on the science careers forum. The post was deleted by the mod but very alarming.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
I would not get a PhD. They work for 5-7 years on a $15-30k stipend and end up with even worse job prospects. There are not enough jobs for PhD level Chemists, most are very very specialized, noone will hire them for BS level jobs as they are overqualified and any out of field jobs will also assume they are overqualified if they find out about the PhD.

I've seen some PhD scientists end up in very dire straits. There was one that asked about suicide last week on the science careers forum. The post was deleted by the mod but very alarming.
I understand that pHd level jobs are hard to find.

But if you have a passion for Chemistry, then doing a pHd should be enjoyable.

If you take the straight path, have good grades, get a pHd from a good school, and get it before age 33 or so, you 'should' be able to find some pretty interesting work.

That's why you take that chance when you're young. Say you get a pHd Chemistry from U. Michigan and you end up doing GC/MS which you only needed a BA to do. Oh well, at least you tried.

That's why you don't go half-a@@ and pick something you 'sorta' like and something that 'sorta' makes good money. You go gung ho and if it doesn't work out, you're in the same place with the rest of us suckers.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
But if you have a passion for Chemistry, then doing a pHd should be enjoyable.
Doing a PhD is rarely "enjoyable." There are a lot of sadistic and psychologically dysfunctional PI's in academia that only use grad students as cheap labor and are awful mentors. They will work you long hours, belittle you, threaten you, delay your graduation, use their reference to extort you. The PI's are pretty much accountable to noone they have tenure they have to be on tape murdering someone to get fired.

read this. It was written for the UK but applies equally to the US.
https://liv.dreamwidth.org/389934.html

Old 04-20-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
Doing a PhD is rarely "enjoyable." There are a lot of sadistic and psychologically dysfunctional PI's in academia that only use grad students as cheap labor and are awful mentors. They will work you long hours, belittle you, threaten you, delay your graduation, use their reference to extort you. The PI's are pretty much accountable to noone they have tenure they have to be on tape murdering someone to get fired.

read this. It was written for the UK but applies equally to the US.
https://liv.dreamwidth.org/389934.html
Well then. I guess Chemistry sucks which ever way you try to go, don't it?

So tell us. What would you do with your life if you had a do-over?

Old 04-20-2017, 04:03 PM

1,073 posts, read 624,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Well then. I guess Chemistry sucks which ever way you try to go, don't it?

So tell us. What would you do with your life if you had a do-over?
MSChemist-
Did you use post at a college majors website a few years ago?
You seem familiar and your posts were equally against science majors as I recall...lol

Anyway to the OP-
If you enjoy chemistry but don't want a PhD go the ChemE route.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:24 PM

6,485 posts, read 6,694,660 times
My hub hires lots of ChemE's, and in his industry (oil refining, management level) they are paid very well ($150-200K, sometimes higher, plus another 50% or more in bonuses on good years). These people have to be willing to transfer to various refineries throughout their career, and work their way up, but even the entry level ChemE's start at over $100K base.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment