Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 01:15 PM

1,104 posts, read 919,480 times

Advertisements

How could have it been such a good job if you felt like you were being taken advantage of? In reality it sounds like you made a decision that served yourself, and that's reasonable. It might not have been an ideal decision at the time, but it wouldn't be life if every decision was easy or fair.

In one job, I was angry that some sales doofus kept harassing me, and stopped processing their pitches on the computer because I was tired of their aggressive attitude, hoping it would send a statement that enough was enough.

My boss sided straight away with the sales guy. I wanted to stay, but it was obvious by then that the company had withdrawn its warm welcome.

In retrospect it was a good decision. No one wants to feel disrespected all day. If you were still there, you'd still have a cloud over your head and posting "why don't I leave?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 03:00 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adk34 View Post
I guess I am considered too old 'cuz I can't even get an interview.

You think you are too old and you are only in your 40's? Do you look older? Dress older? I was hired at my job at 61 years old last year and it's not an easy job plus I had no experience in the line of work I am doing, however I plenty of office & computer knowledge. Experience is what I always thought was important. That, attitude and referrals.

Old 04-19-2017, 04:02 PM

204 posts, read 181,540 times
Don't know the company politics, but in many firms once you're out, you're out.

Old 05-23-2017, 03:00 PM

109 posts, read 325,530 times
I hear what y'all are saying... I need to make peace with myself first. I now have a better mind set meaning know how I should act in office. I am 43 and a half now, I have experience but my resume looks like I job hopped last 6 years so that leads me to think that's why I am not even getting an interview.

Old 05-23-2017, 04:41 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,132,701 times
Not too old. I had a similar situation and I am close to your age. Left a place of 11 years due to the place being sold. Took a job that the company was a mess and basically wasn't truthful about the position. Left and took a previous offer from a place I interviewed. 9 months in I have been looking and getting more call backs now then while I was employed at the long term place. Maybe have your resume redone? Are you using years only for the positions? Are you using a cover letter? Its also recommended to tweak the resume using keywords.

I have 2 jobs listed on mine going back to 1998, so its probably obvious Im not in my 20's or 30's. Not a lot of attractive offers but I have found it unusual at the number of responses. My current job is not listed either. I had a leadership position before and was well established, and its a jolt not having that now. Sometimes the chapter on something just has its time to close. All you can do is move forward. You are working so that is a plus in itself.

Dont beat yourself up, it not inly accomplishes nothing but wears down your soul. Anxiety is often cumulative and it will take its toll after a while.

I might add learning a new skill like coding, some other computer program or a second language. Anything that makes you mire marketable is a step in the right direction.

As for the alcohol suggestions: I would tread very carefully with this. A person who is feeling down can get caught up in a problem very easily. Its too easy for many to go from "2 beers three times a week" to Blackout drunk on a regular basis when things are shaky. Things like this can sneak up on us. The feeling of relief from alcohol can get too confronting. Some of us know this personally on this board. Not saying the OP will but thought its worth mentioning.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:43 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
I quit a job and regretted it but now years down the line it was the best thing I did for my career. I hated the new job I took but the job after that was amazing and half the hours for more money. Then I've moved up from there and the original company went belly up. I make 3 Times more now and work half as much (but still over 40 hours). My theory is everything happens for a reason.
I needed to read this. I left a good (used to be "great") job for something that looked nice on paper but is actually terrible, and now I feel stuck. I'm hoping I have a story like yours sooner than later.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:46 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
A year later and you're still not over it?

Sorry can't help you here on this forum.

https://www.livehealthonline.com/psychology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment