Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 07:21 PM

612 posts, read 1,513,129 times

Advertisements

I work in IT and I have 2 bosses. I report to one of them and other manages everything else. However only the boss I report to can fire me or can decide what work should be assigned to me. The other boss joined our team about 6-7 months ago. I am an asian woman 30+ years in age.

This 2nd boss and I were talking about work related stuff today and couple of my co-workers were around when he told me "you are a kid". He himself seems to be between 35-40 years. I didn't like it and I told him not to call me a kid. He just said sorry and laughed loud on it. I cannot even tell this to my main boss as I know that's where all this has started from. My main boss and couple of other guys in the team make fun of all team members. That happens in their meetings where both of my bosses and these guys are in, every week. I know since I had to attend that meeting couple of times and I have also seen them making fun of other team members when they are not around or sometimes even if they are present. I know they make fun of me too. But I felt like calling someone 'kid' at work was very unprofessional and I feel bad about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 PM

106 posts, read 122,396 times
Calling someone a kid at work is demeaning and unprofessional, regardless of the person's age, gender, or race. It sounds like you're involved with an unprofessional group of men who don't know how to speak to coworkers.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
gosh, I'd be complimented to be called a younger human, as I am usually referred to as the Ole lady ....
Guess its all about perception and inter-spection.

I often called one of my co workers sen sei ...since he was a guru of wisdom and years of experience. He called me Little grasshopper....since I had so much to learn.

we had that open rapport of regard.....guess sometimes folks really do shoot the messenger....

Old 04-11-2017, 08:40 PM

29,512 posts, read 22,636,772 times
You let him know once you did not like it.

I have a feeling this won't be going over well in the future.

If he continues, then maybe involve HR.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:49 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,711 times
I'm glad you told him you didn't like it. If he does it again, I'd just keep a firm tone of voice when you tell him not to call you that anymore, it's unprofessional. It's childish to talk about colleagues like that. Sorry you're experiencing it.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:09 PM

29,512 posts, read 22,636,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I'm glad you told him you didn't like it. If he does it again, I'd just keep a firm tone of voice when you tell him not to call you that anymore, it's unprofessional. It's childish to talk about colleagues like that. Sorry you're experiencing it.
Once should be more than enough.

There's no reason why she should have to remind him again.

That makes her look weak, and it shows that he doesn't care about her warning or her feelings, and he'll continue to do it.

If he does it again, then she needs to take it to a higher up.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticStar View Post
I work in IT and I have 2 bosses. I report to one of them and other manages everything else. However only the boss I report to can fire me or can decide what work should be assigned to me. The other boss joined our team about 6-7 months ago. I am an asian woman 30+ years in age.

This 2nd boss and I were talking about work related stuff today and couple of my co-workers were around when he told me "you are a kid". He himself seems to be between 35-40 years. I didn't like it and I told him not to call me a kid. He just said sorry and laughed loud on it. I cannot even tell this to my main boss as I know that's where all this has started from. My main boss and couple of other guys in the team make fun of all team members. That happens in their meetings where both of my bosses and these guys are in, every week. I know since I had to attend that meeting couple of times and I have also seen them making fun of other team members when they are not around or sometimes even if they are present. I know they make fun of me too. But I felt like calling someone 'kid' at work was very unprofessional and I feel bad about it.
No, but I'm 41. Nobody calls me "kid."

I've been in IT for 19 years (I'm female) and have been called other things, though.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:46 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as111 View Post
Calling someone a kid at work is demeaning and unprofessional, regardless of the person's age, gender, or race. It sounds like you're involved with an unprofessional group of men who don't know how to speak to coworkers.
It really depends on the context. Are people being called kid in a demeaning way or are they being called kid in a friendly manner?

At my office, everybody gets called everything.

Do we really want our work place to be sterile and humorless?

Old 04-12-2017, 08:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 822,879 times
Some work cultures I've worked in, people josh around and use all sorts of terms for each other. Some are more professional in tone. Either way, if someone indicates that they don't like a particular term, it should cease.

I was in a horrible work environment a couple of years ago, and my supervisor regularly called me and my teammate "kids" and "kiddo". We were in our late 40s, supervisor was in her early 50s, so we were all the same age group. It was absolutely used to demean us, given other things that went on. From another person in another place it could have been a term of affiliation or a gentle jibe that we were younger, and it would have been all in fun. Depends on context.

Old 04-12-2017, 08:16 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
It really depends on the context. Are people being called kid in a demeaning way or are they being called kid in a friendly manner?

At my office, everybody gets called everything.

Do we really want our work place to be sterile and humorless?
I agree - that and while I understand the OP's point of view... if it is meant demeaning.. the person using it has issues and the OP should just hold her head up high and rise above it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment