Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
Guess what? I don't see it as a problem. I never expected to have 10 weeks or 3 months or whatever people think it is that Europeans get.

Was I entirely disconnected from the job while on vacation? Mentally, no, but sufficiently disconnected, yes. It wasn't the type of job where I had to worry about answering emails or taking calls from the boss during vacation.

Considering the way the economy has been in the past 10-15 years, I was very happy to have the job.

If it is a problem for people that they have catch-up work to do when they get back, that might be because they either didn't prepare others properly to handle their job before they left or they just work for a lousy company. I understand this can be a tough situation.

The bottom line is, I and others don't worry about what is going on in Europe. We focus on our job and life here.
This is the result of americans not voting in their own best interests ... when does the bolded end, why shouldent the employer be grateful they have employees?

Old 04-23-2017, 02:59 AM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yeah it is. I have a total of 83 PTO days banked as of this week, 60 days of Long Term Sick Time (the max my company gives), and 23.25 days Vacation Time with another 14 hours to come before I hit the 200 hour cut-off for Vacation Time. I will also receive another 40 hours of Personal Time on July 1 (used mine up already).

And we're not even a union company.
I am having a very hard time believing this. If it is true, that you have this much time off, then you are located outside the USA or simply in the minority of workers in the USA when it comes to vacation/personal time.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:14 AM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
This is the result of americans not voting in their own best interests ... when does the bolded end, why shouldent the employer be grateful they have employees?
Good companies are grateful they have employees, but don't forget that these days, it is an employers market. They have a willing and ready applicant pool out there to choose from.

I agree that employers can be heartless, but unless people start their own companies, and stay humble and ethical, things won't change much.

The company I started working for in '03 was a small company very generous with bonuses and company outings, etc. But the two owners, got into their 60s and felt it was time to sell as they were looking to retire and they also wanted to move the software products forward.

We were acquired by a larger company that wasn't bad to work for, but then acquired a few years later by an even larger company that considered employees disposable and were simply about profit. This was the company that provided 5 wks after 10 yrs. This company does pay well and has a good benefit package, they just pile a lot of work on people.

Overall, I agree companies can be and are heartless, etc, but as far as vacation, the majority of companies are pretty good IMO.

When I hear news stories about countries like France and the recent shooting in the Champs de Ellyses, and the fact that they have 25% unemployment there, I stand by my feeling that our employment situation here is pretty good. Not so great in some ways, pretty good in others.

There are not a lot of people from the USA moving to other countries to find a better work situation.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:01 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,945,611 times
Quote:
I am having a very hard time believing this. If it is true, that you have this much time off, then you are located outside the USA or simply in the minority of workers in the USA when it comes to vacation/personal time.
I live in Watervliet, NY, which is situated on the west bank of the Hudson River. For the past 15 years as of this June I have worked for a company called Albany Steel, Inc., founded in 1923, one of Albany NY's oldest steel companies. When you take into consideration the companies we have incorporated, our history actually goes back over 200 years. We are located in Menands, NY, situated between Watervliet and Albany.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:13 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,110,679 times
Quote:
Good companies are grateful they have employees, but don't forget that these days, it is an employers market. They have a willing and ready applicant pool out there to choose from.

I agree that employers can be heartless, but unless people start their own companies, and stay humble and ethical, things won't change much.

The company I started working for in '03 was a small company very generous with bonuses and company outings, etc. But the two owners, got into their 60s and felt it was time to sell as they were looking to retire and they also wanted to move the software products forward.

We were acquired by a larger company that wasn't bad to work for, but then acquired a few years later by an even larger company that considered employees disposable and were simply about profit. This was the company that provided 5 wks after 10 yrs. This company does pay well and has a good benefit package, they just pile a lot of work on people.

Overall, I agree companies can be and are heartless, etc, but as far as vacation, the majority of companies are pretty good IMO.

When I hear news stories about countries like France and the recent shooting in the Champs de Ellyses, and the fact that they have 25% unemployment there, I stand by my feeling that our employment situation here is pretty good. Not so great in some ways, pretty good in others.

There are not a lot of people from the USA moving to other countries to find a better work situation.
Thats because it is VERY difficult for an american to immigrate out of the USA for work. Most other countries that you would actually want to live in have very very tight immigration policies. I would wager that there are alot of americans that want out but cant.

We have an unemployment rate higher than 25% we are just more dishonest about the reporting and we also dont count the under employment (ie engineers working at wal mart type situations), which is much less prevalent over there.

As the situation gets worse in the USA I am guessing you will see more and more desperate people doing anything to get the heck out of the USA, but then even if you can get the work visa you have to learn the language of where ever you are going which is not too daunting at a conversational level but for work, it takes years to learn all the technical jargon you need to do your job over there.

But as I said we are in fact seeing a marked increase in people leaving the nation percentage wise but the total numbers are still low ... because its really really hard and if you unemployed here in the USA with a dwindling bank account it will be even harder to get out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.