Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: TO ALL EMPLOYEES- Are you paid Time and a Half for Any or ALL Holidays? (Private Poll)
Yes I am paid Time and a Half for some or all holidays 23 34.33%
No I am not paid Time and a Half for any holidays 39 58.21%
This poll doesn't apply to me since I am not an Employee 5 7.46%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,653,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
just curious......do you work all holidays ?

Christmas and Thanksgiving ?
Today is federal holiday and myself and my husband are working. We call today a mattress holiday....one of the holidays created to have mattress sales! Neither one of us is getting paid any extra. I've worked the 4th of July and not been paid extra. I've worked Thanksgiving and been paid my regular wages. Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean you should be paid more. If you look on a calendar, there's a holiday every few days it seems like it if you look at all the religious holidays.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:39 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,971,089 times
Its a little different where I work. I have set days of every week (not weekends). If a holiday falls on any of the other 5 days; I HAVE TO WORK (unless I have scheduled vaca). However, even if the holiday falls on a day I don't work I still get paid extra for it. Either way I get paid extra. So I get paid 2X for holidays whether I work or not.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:50 AM

4,314 posts, read 4,009,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Today is federal holiday and myself and my husband are working. We call today a mattress holiday....one of the holidays created to have mattress sales! Neither one of us is getting paid any extra. I've worked the 4th of July and not been paid extra. I've worked Thanksgiving and been paid my regular wages. Just because it's a holiday doesn't mean you should be paid more. If you look on a calendar, there's a holiday every few days it seems like it if you look at all the religious holidays.
seems strange you see no difference between Presidents Day and Christmas.

Do your kids share your view?

Old 02-20-2017, 12:55 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,667,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
What type of work do you do that you don't get paid a premium for a major holiday like Thanksgiving?

Old 02-20-2017, 01:01 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,300,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldjackson View Post
the very definition of slavery
Well, maybe, if you ignore all the whips and chains and getting sold and not being free to leave whenever you want.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
seems strange you see no difference between Presidents Day and Christmas.

Do your kids share your view?
Did I mention Christmas? Nope. Who said I didn't see a difference between President's Day and Christmas? Who said anything about kids?

I've worked major holidays and it makes no difference to me. It's just another day of the week. Most holidays are what I call Hallmark Holidays, Mattress Holidays, Shopping Holidays, or Religious Holidays.

President's Day = Mattress Sale Holiday

Christmas = Religious Holiday IF you're religious....for most people it's an excuse to spend a ton of money to buy crap that people don't really need.

Old 02-20-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
What type of work do you do that you don't get paid a premium for a major holiday like Thanksgiving?
Retail, grocery, IT, etc.

My husband works for a Forbes 100 company and is salaried. He gets paid $0.00 when he works a holiday if it's one we has off. Yes, he's had to work on many holidays. IT doesn't stop because Columbus hopped onto a boat and got lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.