Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,079,286 times

Advertisements

What sort of jobs have you guys done until you got your 'real job?' If I HAVE to get a job (legit) what do you suggest...I need work until my resumes hit the right companies and the temp places aren't the answer here.
My husband's salary cannot carry us through much longer and with my education and 'being out of work' as a SAHM I'm not getting many replies. (I'm overeducated for many of these jobs and I don't have 'some skills' for others.)

Has anyone ever cleaned houses or worked in retail? I am not 'above' doing anything..just looking for ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
Try retail or office cleaning, I did both, it's an honest living and I don't pay attention to those who may look down upon those jobs; this way you could build some recent experience. You may be able to get a better idea of what's out there for you through temp services, I thought though. But this is just my opinion.

Old 03-03-2008, 06:24 AM

Thanks, Maggie.
I don't look down on these jobs. I told my husband I would prefer cleaning (at least you get paid to do it in the 'real world' and he thought I was nuts.) I just want to earn some money now. I can't afford to be picky and like you say, it's not forever. How do you think I should try to get something like this? Call places and see if they are hiring?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,473,607 times
Temping, receptionist, acct clerk. I know someone who cleaned houses but it was really physically demanding work and is a field dominated by non-English speakers (my friend only had English). Day care worker is an option, but really I suggest finding an office job, even file clerk at a law firm which always seems to be filled with SAHMs returning to the workforce (in addition the receptionist position). A non-office job won't help you land an office job, I don't think. Just from what I've seen interviewing applicants.

The worst job I ever had in my life was retail (major dept store) so I can't see myself ever doing retail while I find something else.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:38 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
GypsySoul -may I ask what your background is? There might be other jobs where you could use your background without it being your ideal job but will at least hold you over.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,331,748 times
Placing an add in the local supermarket could turn up people looking for a cleaningperson or put one in the paper or else maybe call an agency that cleans offices. I used to clean a bank after hours for a part time job and it was very slow paced and easy to do, just some dusting and vacuuming and the toilets was the only icky part but they have gloves and such so it can be done.
I wish you luck in your search.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Years ago I cleaned. I had real good luck getting jobs by putting up notices on bulletin boards in senior housing complexes. Also larger churches.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:43 AM

I actually have a teaching background, office work (customer service, marketing). I know basic computers & I'm internet/tech minded.

I've actually thought of being a nanny--I placed an ad today and already had a reply! I wouldn't mind it as much as doing something 'boring' like retail and it would be helping out a family who needs childcare. (I know what that is like).

I'm not sure what I will pursue. I feel sort of trapped and worried...I need to work but I am afraid to make a decision. I've been applying for all sorts of jobs from customer service to daycare teacher to 'real teacher' but right now the responses are very slow.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
Gypsy - why don't you approach the schools in your area and see if you could be a tutor. Put an ad on the paper, fliers in church etc., the JCC (just thought of this as you are in New England) as a private tutor (for whatever subject you feel you want to do this for). Perhaps you could do it at your home so you don't have to leave the little one.

Old 03-03-2008, 01:23 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,710,775 times
On another board I knew someone who started working for Sylvan tutoring online at home. I think if you google sylvan + tutoring, you could get the job description. They pay $10/hr, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment