Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 10:37 AM

29,528 posts, read 22,735,060 times

Advertisements

Start looking.

Workers, no matter how well intentioned and gungho, will be looked upon unfavorably when they try to impose their vision of how things should be. Especially newer ones.

There's a reason why the status quo hasn't changed.

You can try all you want but be aware it can backfire on you and your life will be miserable there until they either fire you or you quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:35 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,049,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptshun View Post
The problem with the CEO is that he is a 38 year old son of the owner who doesn't know about manufacturing.
That says it all.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:58 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,073,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptshun View Post
I do have the experience to make the changes. I've been in manufacturing a long time and know how it should run.
That answers my question about technical expertise. Don't minimize the change management portion. Simply implementing a technical/process fix will fail if people aren't on board. They will sabatoge it simply because they don't like the change.

What about capital? Does your proposed change require investment in retooling? That could be a barrier to adopting your plan.

Quote:
The problem with the CEO is that he is a 38 year old son of the owner who doesn't know about manufacturing. He is a 2 year old trainee so to speak. Never ran a business before.
That is a challenge, but not insurmountable. If he know enough about general business practices and finances, he might understand that the plant is underperforming and be willing to take action.

It doesn't really change my assessment. If you manage to set up a meeting with the CEO, you bring two envelopes with you. The first one contains your proposal for change, the other one is your resignation letter. CEO gets to choose which one to act upon.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:34 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,356,251 times
You were hired to oversee a department. You need to make your performance in your job stand out. I really like the Lean 6 Sigma method (I may be the only one). But it's a way to get everyone involved in the process, thus, everyone sees where the problem is and how to fix it. Why not put together a "brown bag" training session, request permission to conduct it over lunch (buy pizza, whatever). Map out your department and streamline it. We had a guy who diagrammed flow charts and swim lanes...he was really good at it. Inevitably your department is affected by the ineptitude of other areas of the business. You don't have to be the one to focus on that. The "logjam" of the process is identified by the training. Then everyone (in your department) has the opportunity to come up with solutions.

Do not walk around talking about the upper management's inabilities. I promise you it's already gotten back to them.

Unless you can marry into the family, family run businesses will protect their own, no matter how inept they are, no matter what the financial health of the company. It's pretty much a losing battle. On the other hand, if you can propose ideas that will make THEM look good...you may be on to something.

How invested are you in this company? I do understand being a loyal employee. Kudos to you for that.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:22 AM

3,822 posts, read 8,758,825 times
If you feel strongly about this go for it. But have a back up plan to leave either way.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:26 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,073,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
You were hired to oversee a department. You need to make your performance in your job stand out. I really like the Lean 6 Sigma method (I may be the only one). But it's a way to get everyone involved in the process, thus, everyone sees where the problem is and how to fix it. Why not put together a "brown bag" training session, request permission to conduct it over lunch (buy pizza, whatever). Map out your department and streamline it. We had a guy who diagrammed flow charts and swim lanes...he was really good at it. Inevitably your department is affected by the ineptitude of other areas of the business. You don't have to be the one to focus on that. The "logjam" of the process is identified by the training. Then everyone (in your department) has the opportunity to come up with solutions.
Starting a Lean process of any significant scale needs executive buy-in. Otherwise somebody higher up in the food chain is going to start asking questions, like why are the department leads always diagramming things on whiteboards rather than working on the floor? How come all these job changes are being proposed?

OP has identified a problem. He needs others to agree that it is a problem. Only then can work on a solution begin.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,356,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Starting a Lean process of any significant scale needs executive buy-in. Otherwise somebody higher up in the food chain is going to start asking questions, like why are the department leads always diagramming things on whiteboards rather than working on the floor? How come all these job changes are being proposed?

OP has identified a problem. He needs others to agree that it is a problem. Only then can work on a solution begin.
I was suggesting a working lunch to pull the team together and improve his own department (of which he's in charge).

He already has others who agree that it's a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment