Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 11:09 AM

255 posts, read 201,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
You should start the job search now as there's too many open questions (including your annual review). It's easier to find a new job when you're already working.
I'm definitely leaning towards casually looking at the very least. It's obviously not an urgent matter to move on. But if a seemingly great opportunity presents itself, I feel that I have the appropriate motivation and grounds to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 AM

432 posts, read 346,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Careerist View Post
I'm definitely leaning towards casually looking at the very least. It's obviously not an urgent matter to move on. But if a seemingly great opportunity presents itself, I feel that I have the appropriate motivation and grounds to do so.
Good luck.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:02 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,254,383 times
Quote:

I've been here for going on nine months now, and I do not feel like any clarity or structure has been established within our department. I've made a number of requests to talk to my director and manager about my objectives and goals. My director has been mostly receptive to talking to me, but my new manager has not responded to my request at all. Furthermore, despite all the talk that they'd like to be more engaged with their employees, I've not seen any plan of action being talked about or rolled out. IMO, they are simply too lax about the direction of the team, whereas I'm more of a Type-A "must have a plan for everything" type of person. My co-worker and I are ultimately still managing the department, mostly on our own with little input from management.

I'm debating whether it's time to throw in the towel. I don't know what other options I can exercise at this point. I feel like I've planted the seed about what I'm looking for as much and often as I can already. I really like my co-workers, I'm paid decently (though less than I can make since this is govt. subsidized), and my benefits are very good. But the room for growth and development, and structure within the department, are severely lacking. Any thoughts or suggestions about moving forward from here? Thank you for your time.
So you and your co-worker are running the department and management is not bothering you? Trust me many people would love to be in your position.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
So you and your co-worker are running the department and management is not bothering you? Trust me many people would love to be in your position.
There are certainly some advantages, don't get me wrong. I did mention that I do enjoy the sovereignty of the position I'm in now.

However, I am relatively young and still want to develop and grow in my career. Preferably, I would like to grow and develop within a company as opposed to seeking external opportunities. But I will do what I need to do at the end of the day.

Old 01-13-2017, 02:54 PM

9,889 posts, read 11,872,000 times
Lets look at it as a company looks at things.

1: Your company is under reorganization. You do not know the future plans under this reorganization.

2: You have 2 new people above you to help this reorganization take place.

3: You have no idea of what your manager is doing, as their duties apparently are more than just managing your department. There are probably fires that have be put out, getting your company back on track. Your manager has found your department does not need hand holding, but other jobs they have may be taking a lot of their time, and meetings to keep the managers on track are something that is needed at times like this.

4: You and your co-worker are keeping the department going, and have not needed hand holding by your managers. This shows that they value what you are doing, and do not feel any need to sit and hand hold the two of you. This frees up the managers to be able to do the rest of their duties, where there are problems and fires to put out.

The thing to do now, is to not panic and sit back, do your best at your job, and let management put out the fires and get the company back on track. The fact that you are not getting a lot of face time with your managers, indicates you and your co-worker do not need a lot of supervision and the management is aware of this. There will be others in the company just wish they have it as good as the two of you, without being micromanaged.

Old 01-13-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Lets look at it as a company looks at things.

1: Your company is under reorganization. You do not know the future plans under this reorganization.

2: You have 2 new people above you to help this reorganization take place.

3: You have no idea of what your manager is doing, as their duties apparently are more than just managing your department. There are probably fires that have be put out, getting your company back on track. Your manager has found your department does not need hand holding, but other jobs they have may be taking a lot of their time, and meetings to keep the managers on track are something that is needed at times like this.

4: You and your co-worker are keeping the department going, and have not needed hand holding by your managers. This shows that they value what you are doing, and do not feel any need to sit and hand hold the two of you. This frees up the managers to be able to do the rest of their duties, where there are problems and fires to put out.

The thing to do now, is to not panic and sit back, do your best at your job, and let management put out the fires and get the company back on track. The fact that you are not getting a lot of face time with your managers, indicates you and your co-worker do not need a lot of supervision and the management is aware of this. There will be others in the company just wish they have it as good as the two of you, without being micromanaged.
All valid points. What I'm trying to determine is how long do I deal with this environment? Sure, I understand that initially they need to get their house in order. But after how many months should I expect improvement? It's already going on nine months without much improvement to our department. Do I give it another six months? Nine months? 12 months? After a certain point without much improvement, I think you have to take matters into your own hands and do what's best for you and your career. So, what's a reasonable expectation?

Old 01-13-2017, 03:31 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,041,319 times
My company centralized all of its management offsite and eliminated salaries off the books which is a clear recipe for disarray, disorganization and confusion and ultimate DISASTER. Nothing like getting 1000 emails going back forth between 5-10 people. Real ingenious allocation of manpower there just to save a few bucks. Guess companies don't understand the damage and money it costs them long term.

All operations and communications have gone downhill and some good knowledgable people were shown the door and we have lost business and customers.

"Re-organization" for the better sure.. But thats not always the case.

Old 01-14-2017, 01:51 AM

10,929 posts, read 11,812,064 times
Quote:

I enjoy the sovereignty of my position... I've been doing my diligence in reaching out to other teams and finding opportunities where I can, but I have zero support from management to help me reach any of my professional goals.
This is an ideal situation for you. Don't expect management to help you achieve your career goals. Their too busy working on their own careers. Don't let them do it on your back. The fact that they leave you alone may allow you to do this. Learning on the job is your responsibility.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:41 AM

4,632 posts, read 3,509,191 times
I'd be looking for a different job. I don't understand all the "make the best of it" comments. OP if your gut is telling you something...listen.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:34 AM

9,692 posts, read 7,461,424 times
My boss always claim, I don't have to know how to do your job, I hire people to do that job for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment