Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 07:58 PM

35,349 posts, read 31,793,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Think back a few months, or in the next couple of months (if thinking back doesn.t work) as to what week of the month was a bad week for you (over-worked, irritable, overtired, etc...) and try to pin point a certain date.
In the future, request some future PTO and/or some life emergencies or a combo, and go henseforth.
Keep a simple mood calendar and get a baseline of when you feel crappiest and most importantly schedule time for YOU, be it planned or not.
You.re welcome.
Agreed, to a point, but sometimes people just "need a moment."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 08:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,760,768 times
Being sick is one thing. Typically, people don't plan for it. BUt doctor's appointments, teacher conferences, etc are scheduled in advance.

Don't work for the company my husband works for......on August 1st you are required to submit your PTO and vacation plans for the rest of the year. Getting sick isn't included. It's fun to plan in July what you'll be doing in October!

Old 01-12-2017, 10:36 PM

13,309 posts, read 8,589,275 times
Yes two weeks is standard notice. Gives time to assign certain duties or coverage .

We had " banned" time off between October til year end. Our company had hefty orders so all personnel knew in advance.

Barring medical matters or personal life events.. most of us respected the notice policy. Just like they give you a five minute notice to clear out your desk.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:35 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,049 posts, read 82,304,253 times
Common, but so is the opposite. We have much more flexibility here, in fact I often allow people to take PTO the next day, sometimes even that morning. For several days/weeks, I like to get a week or two notice but even for that a day or two is possible. I have two people off today, for a 4 day weekend with the holiday Monday, and both requested it earlier this week. On the other hand, I worked at a place before where we hired temps for vacation relief, and all vacations had to be scheduled during the month of January, with all kinds of procedures for selecting the days off on the basis of seniority in case of conflicts.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 AM

602 posts, read 1,272,566 times
At my company, we have vacation days, but also 5 personal days a year. Personal days can be taken at the drop of a hat, vacation days are expected to be scheduled. FWIW.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:03 AM

24,264 posts, read 14,315,757 times
My wife has to turn in her planned PTO days in December for the next year and then is told if they are ok based on seniority. Luckily there is only one person in the department with more seniority than her so she normally gets the days she wants. Other non scheduled days are used for sick days which are impossible to schedule a year in advance.

She is the only one that can do her job there and is on 24 hour 365 day emergency call and has needed to work remotely while on vacation before. With getting paid double time for those hours she has paid for our vacation while on vacation before. It sucks, but it is what it is and she loves her job.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:21 AM

221 posts, read 338,126 times
Some of that just seems weird. Where I am, if there is coverage or you make coverage for the day off, the boss has no problem with a day or less notice. Top 10 corporation here

Old 01-13-2017, 11:25 AM

11,308 posts, read 9,950,807 times
I worked once in an environment where we were required to request our "vacation days" (PTO) all at the start of each year. A calendar was circulated in order of seniority. Those with the most seniority got first pick of the available weeks. Those with less seniority got whatever was left over.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:44 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,294,076 times
Only 2 weeks? Mine wants it at least a month in advance- and then I have to wait until the last minute to find out whether it is approved/denied. Makes it hard to book a vacay. What I do if I really need the time off is go to the boss and find out which days are avail. I am not going to play a back and forth game when I need some mental health days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment