Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:28 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,521,447 times

Advertisements

Hello!

It's been already 3 weeks, but I still haven't received my background check report from HireRight.
Got really good job offer from a big well-known company 3 weeks ago and submitted all the paperwork immediately. They use HireRight as a background check vendor.

I contacted HireRight this week and received generic response like 'we are currently working on your case' without any details. I heard from someone that it might take up to few months. But what if the employer gets tired of waiting and withdraws my offer? How possible is this scenario?

There is an option of contingent hire: I can start working at the new company while under background check. But I haven't discussed the conditions with the HR yet. Would you recommend choosing this way? How risky it might be? I don't expect any problems with my background check. I only found two weeks mismatch with my resume in the employment days at one of my previous jobs (I didn't remember that well), but it should not be an issue I believe.

At this point I really can't wait to quit my current company. If I knew in advance how everything would go...

What would you recommend? Should I go contingent hire path? Thanks in advance!

Old 01-11-2017, 09:57 PM

9 posts, read 29,258 times
The only advice I have is I have been in the situation of waiting forever on a background check had one for a job almost take a month then it came back lack of info. Basically when they submitted the background check they forgot to put all my info on it!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:15 AM

Anyone else experienced very long background checks? What is a chance of losing job offer if background check takes too long?

Old 01-12-2017, 07:21 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
There is another thread on Hireright and what an terrible incompetent fraud of a company they are. There is a real chance of losing the job because of Hirewrong's frequent incompetence and feet dragging. However, the hiring company may not be in as much of a hurry to bring you on board as you are. That said, I'd continue seeking other offers in the meantime.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There is another thread on Hireright and what an terrible incompetent fraud of a company they are. There is a real chance of losing the job because of Hirewrong's frequent incompetence and feet dragging. However, the hiring company may not be in as much of a hurry to bring you on board as you are. That said, I'd continue seeking other offers in the meantime.
Thanks. I saw that thread already.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
Have you moved around a lot in the past from state to state? These take much, much longer.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 AM

258 posts, read 299,516 times
Background checks can take a while due to several things. It depends on the extensiveness of the check. Are they just looking for criminal, or do they want to verify education, work history, address, etc, as well? Depending on what locale you are in, they may not be able to do everything electronically. For criminal background checks, companies will contact the courthouse for records. Sometimes these courthouses are not digital yet. Sometimes they have to wait for a physical employee to go pull the records. Sometimes the courthouse is closed due to weather or local holiday/event. Sometimes that employee is on vacation (really!). And then sometimes a rep for the bgc company must physically go to the courthouse and get a record pulled. Sometimes they are limited to how many records they can request per day-- this is especially true in bigger cities where there are several reps trying to get numerous records pulled.

And the previous poster is correct when they mentioned multiple addresses. That extends things, for sure.

I have seen a criminal background check take 3 months before. While that is not the norm, our accepted time frame for my company is 1-6 weeks. My company does not use HireRight.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:12 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,213,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
At this point I really can't wait to quit my current company. If I knew in advance how everything would go...

What would you recommend? Should I go contingent hire path? Thanks in advance!
Well you certainly shold know your background. I certainly would have no problem accepting a contingent hire offer. If I were hiring someone and they had to think about that it would be a red flag to me.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:34 AM

Thanks everyone.
I am going to discuss contingent hire options with the new HR today.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
Thanks everyone.
I am going to discuss contingent hire options with the new HR today.
I would be concerned with the nonchalant attitude of this company. Doesn't sound like they're in a hurry to bring you on board. Why aren't they addressing this?

You have a job offer when you have the salary in writing and a start date.

Anything can go sideways including someone with the same name as you ending up on your background check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment