Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:57 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,289,909 times

Advertisements

I don't see you transitioning to much of anything at this stage of the game without taking a huge pay cut. You might make more as an LPN, but that will depend on your location and the type of job you have. You will take a pay cut to go into social work. Our Victim/Witness program is run by the county prosecutor, and they train volunteers to assist their full time staff at night and on weekends. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer for agencies that offer support to crime victims, suicide prevention, etc., just don't expect to get any money. If you have the flexibility and need the money, you are probably better off working a part time job a few shifts a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 09:54 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,872,320 times
It sounds as if your objective is to make more money to save for retirement.

That's a great objective -- when you're 18 years old. When you're 60, you're not going to be able to sock away 50K per year for 10 years. It just isn't going to happen.

So, you're best bet is to:

a) find a government job that provides a pension. The trick is to make sure you will be able to work enough years so that you become vested.

b) find a sugar daddy (or momma).

c) talk to your children about getting their support. You may need to move in with them.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:22 AM

18 posts, read 12,361 times
I'm just going to shoot straight. An LPN program would not be a good choice either, if you don't like math or science, as you stated it would be hard for you to get through all that. A lot of nursing math is just basic algebra and fractions, but if it's too difficult for you, don't go into a nursing program. Nobody wants to get the wrong dosage of medication given to them by a nurse that "can't do math". I think it would be better to look into other career options, such as the government job that someone mentioned above that would provide a pension. People should ideally start saving for retirement a lot earlier than age 60. A four year degree at many universities can cost as much as 200K: at age sixty, no one should be taking on that kind of debt if they have no money saved for retirement.

Old 01-04-2017, 08:04 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
There's not a lot of math and science in an LPN program, some, but not like the ADN/RN or BSN/RN, which is much more.

Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 PM

83 posts, read 56,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Just a tip: Be sure to click the blue "quote" box on the bottom right of posts you are directly responding to, so folks know which poster you're "talking" to.

Ok. Thanks for showing me that. I am new to this. Lol.

Quote:
Just a tip: Be sure to click the blue "quote" box on the bottom right of posts you are directly responding to, so folks know which poster you're "talking" to.
How do I delete all those messages at the bottom of the thread. I am going to go back and personally answer people the correct way now Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchpest View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do you make $23.00 an hour as a PCT (Patient Care Technician)? The median hourly wage for that occupation is $12.65, and the highest rates of pay in the USA only reach $18.00 per hour in California. Even if you work night shifts, although the rate of pay might increase as you said, it certainly doesn't double. I happen to know that a lot of LVNs don't even make $23.00 per hour in your area.

At what you are being paid, is it possible to set aside some amount of money for retirement now?
Because of my hospital experience in years, Medical Assisting experience working for a surgeon and shift differentials. I work nights and weekends so I make that extra pay and I work rotation so I am in the ER, ICU, etc. That $12,65 may be median hourly wage but I work in an area and in a hospital that pays more plus I asked for more because of my experience.

I knew a PCT at the last hospital that I worked that made $24 an hour without shift differentials because of the years she spent there and her experience. My shift diffs are over $5.00 an hour on weekends. So there you have it. I guess I am blessed with my pay but trust me I work my you know what off and can hardly walk when I get home. Working nights is not easy...its hard and the pay is better for a reason. Most people do not want to do it. At this point the pay isn't as important as my health but I still need to be able to pay bills because I am single and my son still lives with me. Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
Honestly i would not look to go changing careers so late in your working life - it's much more difficult for folks to go back to school at that age and i can't see how it would possibly be worth it for only have 5 years to continue working (or would it be 3 if you needed 2 for school?).

Either find a job that you would be ok with that doesn't require you going back to school (look for openings at your current employer)? Or if there is a type of counselor position that doesn't require much it sounds like you have some passion there - but i do believe those jobs are pretty poorly paid.

I think the other point to consider is that you should have someone look at your finances and help you figure out a plan to get your retirement on track (and possibly redo your budget to assist with that).

best of luck

Do you know of anyone that will look at finances and not charge an arm and a leg for their services. I am newly single and have never had to worry about anything like this before. Thanks for your help. Appreciate all your advice and suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
It sounds as if your objective is to make more money to save for retirement.

That's a great objective -- when you're 18 years old. When you're 60, you're not going to be able to sock away 50K per year for 10 years. It just isn't going to happen.

So, you're best bet is to:

a) find a government job that provides a pension. The trick is to make sure you will be able to work enough years so that you become vested.

b) find a sugar daddy (or momma).

c) talk to your children about getting their support. You may need to move in with them.
The number one option is the only one that I would consider looking into so what government jobs would you suggest with my medical experience or would they hire me at my age for something different? I have no idea as to where to look or what to look for as I am very unfamiliar with the government.

Secondly, I am not going to use a man for money as I am not that type of a woman and I cannot/will not expect my kids to support me. That is not going to happen because they have been through a bad situation with their dead beat dad. I will not put them under any more stress or heartache.

Thank you for your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Michelle View Post
I'm just going to shoot straight. An LPN program would not be a good choice either, if you don't like math or science, as you stated it would be hard for you to get through all that. A lot of nursing math is just basic algebra and fractions, but if it's too difficult for you, don't go into a nursing program. Nobody wants to get the wrong dosage of medication given to them by a nurse that "can't do math". I think it would be better to look into other career options, such as the government job that someone mentioned above that would provide a pension. People should ideally start saving for retirement a lot earlier than age 60. A four year degree at many universities can cost as much as 200K: at age sixty, no one should be taking on that kind of debt if they have no money saved for retirement.
Thank you so much. I work with RN's side by side and trust me I can do that kind of math. The math that they require in the BSN program is math that will never even be used by most nurses and all of them tell me that. I can add and subtract and do basic math and am good at it. I just cannot do all the fancy stuff that is required to get the degree. Make sense?

I do have intelligence and would make an excellent nurse as I am told every time I am at work at the hospital...but extensive math is not my strong point...so my issue is getting from where I am right now to where I where I want to be...where I should be. The school part is the messy part and unfortunately I married a man that didn't want me to be a nurse so I quit going to college and stayed home to raise my four kids. That was a choice that I shouldn't have made and blame myself. I think after reading all these wonderful posts I will have to make some sort of a compromise. Some great suggestions here.

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2017 at 03:12 AM..

Old 01-04-2017, 11:53 PM

884 posts, read 1,172,282 times
Something like this maybe?

Denton County

You have Denton TX listed in your profile...you might try looking at the surrounding area local government websites. It's a pay cut but they do have a retirement system in place along with other benefits--not sure how they compare to yours. IDK about the hours though...usually they will mention in the job description if it's an off shift or requiring weekends.
But like I said, even the high end of that scale is a pretty big pay cut so I totally understand if you can't make that work for your budget. It sounded like something you were looking for that wouldn't require additional schooling if you had one of the licenses/certifications they wanted.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
I agree that you don't need to waste any time pursuing a 4-year degree.

The most I would do is an associates degree in something like human services that could connect you to job possibilities in your area. These days many employers are connecting with local community colleges to help with placement. Another way to find employment is to volunteer at a local rape crisis center where you will meet the people who make hiring decisions.

Have you had personal therapy to help you process the many traumas you have experienced in your life?

Yes of course, I have had a decade of professional counseling, several 12-step groups...facilitated another group, several support groups, read every self-help book on the market, been on TV, spoken at women's conferences, etc. I have forgiven all of my accusers. I am not only a survivor but an overcomer. Thanks for asking though and thank you for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I don't see you transitioning to much of anything at this stage of the game without taking a huge pay cut. You might make more as an LPN, but that will depend on your location and the type of job you have. You will take a pay cut to go into social work. Our Victim/Witness program is run by the county prosecutor, and they train volunteers to assist their full time staff at night and on weekends. There are plenty of opportunities to volunteer for agencies that offer support to crime victims, suicide prevention, etc., just don't expect to get any money. If you have the flexibility and need the money, you are probably better off working a part time job a few shifts a week.
I cannot add more work even if its volunteering to my already heavy load. I need to make a change for my own health and my future. Why wouldn't I be able to get a job as a counselor with a masters degree and ten years of experience in the medical profession?. I am also a rape survivor who has spoken to various women groups, been on TV and facilitated a 12-step group. Seems like people would welcome me into that setting when I have been there and done that as a victim and have came out the other end as an overcomer. I have true experience even without the school. Just saying.... but thank you for the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I agree w/ another poster--maybe your LPN? In a year, you'd have it and it would open up some areas to you. Maybe working in a psychiatric hospital? Detox unit? Some cities have short term inpatient units in separate standing facilities outside of a hospital. Maybe they'd be more likely to hire an LPN. Look at job boards in your area of what areas LPN's are called for and see if any of them appeal to you.

Also, for now, maybe a crisis hotline? I think that's a short training, but it could give you immense satisfaction. You could keep the job you have, too, while doing that and going to school part time maybe.

There are some training programs maybe you could look into: PT ass't, OT ass't or ultrasound tech. There are ADN RN programs, too. You have to search yourself and see what your true goals are w/ a program. I'd do something short, maybe a year certificate program of some sort.
Thank you. I have looked into all the programs above and they are all two years or longer. Actually the ADN RN program is harder because its classroom. The BSN program is online except for clinicals and its actually only a little over a year longer with much more potential than the ADN. Thank you so much. Very great suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
Honestly i would not look to go changing careers so late in your working life - it's much more difficult for folks to go back to school at that age and i can't see how it would possibly be worth it for only have 5 years to continue working (or would it be 3 if you needed 2 for school?).

Either find a job that you would be ok with that doesn't require you going back to school (look for openings at your current employer)? Or if there is a type of counselor position that doesn't require much it sounds like you have some passion there - but i do believe those jobs are pretty poorly paid.

I think the other point to consider is that you should have someone look at your finances and help you figure out a plan to get your retirement on track (and possibly redo your budget to assist with that).

best of luck
I am not planning on retiring at 65. More like 70 or even older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Viking Princess, were you thinking about an LVN program instead of an RN?
My advice is, call around and talk to some different schools to find out how long their programs are. Start gathering information. Don't get upset if they don't call you back right away, just do some basic fact finding. RN programs are not for everyone and not everyone is cut out for it.

Counseling programs can also take a long time, if you want to become a certified counselor. Your own mental health is paramount in a field like this. If you have issues with, for example, holding grudges against people or finding everyone to be "negative", it's not going to be a good field for you.

I used to know someone who wanted to go into counseling & was still struggling with her own mental health issues, which included holding grudges against people who didn't help her with gas money or return phone calls. She would get angry and lash out at people. Not someone cut out for a "people profession" at all - counseling, nursing or anything else.
Thank you for your help. Regarding my own mental health I have been in over a decade of counseling, led support groups, attended support groups, spoken at conferences and on TV. I work in a hospital and I don't hold any grudges towards my accusers or those that raped me. Lol...maybe I get a little angry at my ex for not treating my kids right but other than that I am a very forgiving and compassionate person. I don't think they would allow me to work in patient care...especially in the ER and ICU for over five years if I wasn't a nice person. Thank you for that insight but my true desire and heart is to help people that suffer like I did after my victimization. My motives are to use my gifts and talents to help.

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2017 at 03:11 AM..

Old 01-15-2017, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
Since you already work at a hospital as a PCT how about something like a PAR role where you could sit at a desk? Not sure what your hospital pays for that but with nights or weekends you may come out roughly even while having a less physical role. Or maybe an office manager/admin role? I wouldn't waste time and money going back to school for only a few years as you'll likely spend more than you stand to earn.
Is that a patient care advocate? I don't think they make as much money as I make and wouldn't I need a degree? Do you personally know someone who has that position. I am interested. Thank you!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post

Denton County

You have Denton TX listed in your profile...you might try looking at the surrounding area local government websites. It's a pay cut but they do have a retirement system in place along with other benefits--not sure how they compare to yours. IDK about the hours though...usually they will mention in the job description if it's an off shift or requiring weekends.
But like I said, even the high end of that scale is a pretty big pay cut so I totally understand if you can't make that work for your budget. It sounded like something you were looking for that wouldn't require additional schooling if you had one of the licenses/certifications they wanted.
What would I do in the government without a degree? Thank you!

Old 01-15-2017, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind spot View Post

Denton County

That would have been a great job but I haven't done phlebotomy for over 20 years. Dang. It looked really good. Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment