Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 05:24 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,786,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I've averaged 1 new job every year since I have entered the workforce. I feel like I've seen it all, lived it all, and done it all. I seem to fly through tasks that stump many, often most. I think job hopping is one of the surest ways to not only boost your pay, but increase your share of knowledge and experience.

Agree?
Absolutely not. As an employer, if you had been changing jobs every year, you would move way way down my list of potential hires. I don't know what kind of jobs you have been hopping between, but in my profession (computers and engineering) it can take more than a year just to be trained, let alone "seeing it all, living it all, and doing it all". Why would I want to waste company resources training you only to have you hop somewhere else with all that training, well before we've gotten any real payback on the investment?

Frankly you sound manic. You "fly through tasks that stump ... most". Really. No ego in that statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 06:21 PM

13,009 posts, read 18,969,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Agreed. It tells future employer's that you're not committed to staying with a company long term. Most won't want to hire someone who might not be there in a year.
It tells them you won't take it hard when they lay you off. If an employer knows there is only work for the next six months or a year, they wouldn't hire someone who expects a lifetime job.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:05 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,055,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
It can be. We have a couple of good people that took jobs elsewhere, then returned at higher levels with the additional experience 2-3 years later. The downside is that even if you are adding responsibility and pay each time, job hopping is a big negative to managers that want some stability in their staff. In your case, lasting only a year each time is a definite ed flag for most. I'm surprised employers are willing to hire you knowing you will only be there a year.
Why? The employer is getting a high quality worker who can produce value regardless of how long the employer figures they'll be there or how long the employee intends to stay. If employers want to retain experience and quality they'll pay more. It really is that simple. Of course it's the responsibility of you, the worker, to prove that you are quality and to gain experience.

Even if it is for only a year it's not like the employer has to bite the time and cost to train that person (at least not in any meaningful way, and some integration into the new workplace may take a day or two).

Someone with a resume and references is going to do better than someone who is an unknown factor where the employer is taking a huge risk in hiring him or her at all. There's nothing wrong with that if you're 19. It's probably a problem if you're 32 and still haven't acquired a skill set.

Job Hoping is only a negative if you have no/low skills and no/low responsibility. There's no difference between a cashier at Kohls or a cashier at Macy's. Sorry. And I don't mean to disparage anyone in those jobs, but don't fault others who have sought out increasing opportunities at every turn, those of us who've asked for increasing levels of responsibility and sought out ever more difficult, varied, and complex tasks.

On the flip side I know people who have chosen to stagnate because they don't want the responsibility that comes with managing a project or managing other people (and, by extension, their work).

Old 12-09-2016, 07:34 PM

5,902 posts, read 3,922,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Agreed. It tells future employer's that you're not committed to staying with a company long term. Most won't want to hire someone who might not be there in a year.
Companies are so disorganized these days, they can't even focus on the short term properly. They have no idea what will be going on 3 days from now. Worrying about who will stick around for a year is probably the last thing they should be concerned with.

Old 12-09-2016, 09:13 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,505,965 times
It is not looked at favorably in my industry.

Old 12-10-2016, 03:19 AM

9,700 posts, read 10,067,141 times
Then there are some like Engineers who can prices themselves right out of the job market , as employers can find a less experienced Engineer who can do the same job and stay longer

Old 12-10-2016, 03:49 AM

13,009 posts, read 18,969,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Then there are some like Engineers who can prices themselves right out of the job market , as employers can find a less experienced Engineer who can do the same job and stay longer
Yes, I've seen Engineers who jumped for more money numerous times and got priced out. Probably an extreme example as Engineers switch jobs quite frequently.

Old 12-10-2016, 04:01 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,655,629 times
I guess the days of working for one company your whole life is long gone. I get it though. If they company doesn't give you a raise to keep up with inflation, its time to go. I don't consider it a red flag at all. It's a sign of the times we are in now. Sad but true. Good Luck..

Old 12-10-2016, 10:01 AM

17,154 posts, read 13,019,304 times
I'm looking to change jobs myself. Everything started out great, but I've had a lot of problems with unpredictable hours, more often less than more, and because I'm a part time employee, I always get shafted in favor of what the full time employees need, which is understandable but disappointing nonetheless. Then I was changed from my old position into a very boring one when a full timer wanted my position, so the few hours I do have are driving me crazy from the monotony. However, there is one small advantage to being a part time employee: I don't have to be as loyal, I'm more replaceable, they don't care much about me because I'm "just part time," so I'll be moving on soon.

Old 12-10-2016, 02:20 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,336,436 times
It seems like people dont stay at the same place for long. They move on every 2 to 3 years. I could see this being feasible if interview processes werent so ridiculous. Why oh why is it so necessary to have sooo many rounds of interviews? Thats actually a complaint where i work. People come for an interview and it's a 6 hr day for them even for an entry level job. **** that. Then you have to come back for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment