Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:00 AM

283 posts, read 200,403 times

Advertisements

It is extremely difficult to prove any form of discrimination because it is so subtle. If you are at the receiving end of such treatment, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 11:00 AM

413 posts, read 298,154 times
Yeah, my page hadn't refreshed while I was typing my response, so the part about not wanting customer service jobs wasn't posted yet.

Library work wouldn't work, either, in that instance.

I suppose there's a possibility of office temp work, though you may end up working for people much younger and less qualified than you are.

These issues are why I'm sticking with my current job until I'm 65, even though it means that we can't relocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Definitely not the tourism industry. I live and work in a retirement / resort area. From the OP's response they do not want to deal with a bunch of questions and complaints.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:48 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,249,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
It is extremely difficult to prove any form of discrimination because it is so subtle. If you are at the receiving end of such treatment, you know.
I work in an area with a lot of seasonal business. A few years ago a major year around employer was hiring for a new business. I work in this field and would have super references. I applied and after the interview was to fill out a form for back ground check which they emailed to me. For birth date they had on of those where you click on the number for dates. It did not even go back as far as the year of my birth date.

Old 11-25-2016, 01:58 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,679,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
I served on the board of directors at two different places and workers in their 70's had their production sorely lacking yet threatened age discrimination lawsuits if we terminated them.

Hire younger workers.

If their productivity drops you can fire them w/o the threat of a discrimination lawsuit.
Unless the younger worker is black...or Asian....or Native American....or hispanic.....or female.....or gay...or with a health issue....or disabled in some way like having lupus. Other than that, you don't have to worry about discrimination. In other words, hire a young white healthy male! Same as always! That's the ticket! And be sure and pay him more than the non-white young healthy males! That's safe from a discrimination lawsuit. (not)

Seriously...if an older person threatened a lawsuit, it's probably because you disproportionately fired older workers, showing a pattern of discrimination. People that were hired by someone other than you or the current bosses.

Threats are meaningless. All a business has to do is document reasons for firing. It's not a big deal. I think what you really mean is they threatened a complaint with the EEOC, which is something that someone is more likely to do (it doesn't cost).

My prior employer fired blacks, people with cancer, lots and lots of older workers (disproportionately), gay people. The ones they took the most care with (in other words...those employees had screwed up and skated by for years before enough documentation was gathered to fire them with safety) were the African Americans. They were the ones who reportedly threatened lawsuits or complaints more often. One female partner threatened a lawsuit when she was passed over for partnership the first time (she was right..the reason they gave was behavior that hadn't prevented any white male from being promoted to partner).

Businesses should hire whoever is the most qualified and will likely work for their business for a few years, making every effort to have a diversified group. Diversity in and of itself is good for business and morale.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:02 PM

15,256 posts, read 10,460,910 times
Like was already mentioned, it's going to depend on what type of work and what you look like as far as do you look & dress "old" or are you young looking for your age and "modern". I have a relative who works at Apple and the last time I went in there I saw two people who were obviously over 60. It surprised me but I guess their senior customers feel more comfortable talking to someone closer to their own age.

I personally would rather hire a more mature person as they are usually more reliable and have a much better work ethic than some younger people who are always texting or on Facebook when they are supposed to be working.

Old 11-25-2016, 02:11 PM

10,218 posts, read 7,679,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatHerder View Post
Yeah, my page hadn't refreshed while I was typing my response, so the part about not wanting customer service jobs wasn't posted yet.

Library work wouldn't work, either, in that instance.

I suppose there's a possibility of office temp work, though you may end up working for people much younger and less qualified than you are.

These issues are why I'm sticking with my current job until I'm 65, even though it means that we can't relocate.
I did temp work for a year and a half. Because it's temporary, it doesn't matter who you work for. You're just there to fill in for whatever reason, and do what they ask in return for an hourly wage. They can be nice or not, young or old. The work can be interesting or crap. Maybe there's a kitchen with coffee, maybe not. It's just a temp job, so it'll end soon.

Contract work is difficult. You are called at inconvenient times to go somewhere, you have to to get there, dressed appropriately, probably pay to park. You don't have security codes to pass through doors or anything. You don't know anyone or how to do anything, even use the copy machine (if you can find it). The people there are pleasant to you, but they don't spend time with you, since you won't be staying. And vice versa. The supervisor may be very pleasant, or very mean. Co-workers may take advantage of you.

But it's a decent way to get some extra income, if you have a specialty. I just showed up and tried to do what I was told, and sit there for hours doing incredibly boring, tedious work, while trying to present a pleasant attitude. Then leave when it was over and not show my glee that it was over (except for one job that I was sad to leave, I had liked them all so much).

Old 11-25-2016, 02:46 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,764,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrobin2 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are planning to relocate to another state next year, but first we have to find jobs. We are hoping there won't be a problem with finding job we are both 62 years young. I've noticed that a lot of the hiring managers are young. Have anyone had a hard time finding work at this age? We both have many years experience since we have worked all of our lives.

Your post is way too vague for anyone to help you.

Are you professional people or are you looking at any jobs?

Did you recently retire and that's why you're moving and you're just looking for something to supplement your pension?

What state are you moving to? Have you researched their employment situation?

I can't tell if you're both retired school teachers or you're talking about retail/ server jobs.

What does many years of experience mean?

Old 11-25-2016, 04:59 PM

13,753 posts, read 13,449,580 times
Glad you want a job before you move. I'm confused about what you do, why you're moving... as mentioned above, awfully vague.

Old 11-25-2016, 05:31 PM

11,578 posts, read 6,807,149 times
When I was a hiring manager I hired the best possible candidate. I didn't care about age. With that said if I was interviewing you I would probably ask if you how many more years you plan on working before retirement. At 62, retirement comes up quickly for some and I wouldn't hire anyone who told me that they were looking to quit in a year or two. If I'm going to put in the time training someone, I would want that person to stay with the company long term. At least 5 years. And just so we're clear, I always asked all candidates how long they plan on staying if hired.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 PM

11,679 posts, read 12,834,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
When I was a hiring manager I hired the best possible candidate. I didn't care about age. With that said if I was interviewing you I would probably ask if you how many more years you plan on working before retirement. At 62, retirement comes up quickly for some and I wouldn't hire anyone who told me that they were looking to quit in a year or two. If I'm going to put in the time training someone, I would want that person to stay with the company long term. At least 5 years. And just so we're clear, I always asked all candidates how long they plan on staying if hired.
You sound like a great and practical supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment