Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 10:03 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,567,629 times

Advertisements

Just don't do it. Period. End of story. You never know who's listening and what/who they side with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 10:04 AM

1,180 posts, read 780,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
I've never seen it as policy, but unwritten rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Never discuss politics at work. There is no upside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I don't think there's a rule, but I NEVER talk politics or religion at work. Just no upside to it!!
It is when your direct supervisor says "Good for you" and you realize you have a commonality in being secretly ecstatic that DJT was elected President.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:29 AM

50,473 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Or, you could be like some in my office that have yapped for the last year and were "devastated" LMAO. Some didn't even come in to work which just made it worse for them.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:26 AM

1,104 posts, read 921,179 times
Companies aren't churches or conventions. If your energy isn't focused on your own business, why are you there?

Old 11-22-2016, 11:27 AM

50,963 posts, read 36,657,877 times
I despise when people at work start discussing politics, it is not the appropriate place to bring volatile topics up. I had to sit there and listen to my boss rail on before about political topics at lunch, which I disagreed with vehemently, but couldn't do anything but be uncomfortable during MY lunch period, too. It is rude, it's like cooking fish in the office microwave, just consider the other people you share the space with and don't do it.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:31 AM

13,287 posts, read 8,482,644 times
Since most corporate business owners and their henchmen endorsed a particular candidate ,I would find it hypocritical for them to mandate a no politics rule at work.

Our boss ('s) made it a point at each company meeting to endorse a particular candidate.

I did laugh in silence when our HR person spoke up against the elected (yet to be sworn in) presidents' recent malarkey. The staff went silent. Her point was true. And as we know..the truth speaks quietly and echoes thru time.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:02 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
My daughter is a restaurant manager. She's had to tell some of her employees (she has the GM's approval to do this) to not discuss politics at work. As she put it to them, customers don't need to hear any of that as some might find it offensive. Some of her staff was not happy about that and demanded to know who she voted for. She told them it was none of their business---she wasn't going to discuss that at work, and neither are they.
Not a restaurant but I have had customers who happened to be in the area break into a conversation I was having with a like minded fellow employee.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:03 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,832,747 times
I'm pretty sure freedom of speech is still protected in the United States. With that said, leaving your opinions on hot button issues at home will make everyone's work life better. I live in one of the bluest states in the country and we had a company wide meeting last week where several people making presentations decided to use the platform to make "inspirational" speeches about the state of our country after the election. But of course even here not everyone shares the same opinion so for someone like myself who thinks the country is heading in the right direction I don't want to listen to your crybaby neo-hippy views while I'm on the clock and being forced to be in the room

Old 11-22-2016, 12:11 PM

24,569 posts, read 18,327,996 times
Politics? Banned.

Religion? Over the years, I've asked lots of foreign-born co-workers to explain their religion to me. It's in the context that I'm trying to learn about their culture. I don't talk about my religion or lack thereof. Over the last year or so, when I was on business travel outside the country, I've fielded plenty of Trump questions from people trying to understand what it's all about. I'd never think about talking Trump/Clinton in the US. That could never go well.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:50 PM

50,963 posts, read 36,657,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Politics? Banned.

Religion? Over the years, I've asked lots of foreign-born co-workers to explain their religion to me. It's in the context that I'm trying to learn about their culture. I don't talk about my religion or lack thereof. Over the last year or so, when I was on business travel outside the country, I've fielded plenty of Trump questions from people trying to understand what it's all about. I'd never think about talking Trump/Clinton in the US. That could never go well.
I'm sorry, it is rude to ask people you don't know well to "explain" their religion. It is not your business and much too intrusive a question for a work setting, JMO. There are other ways to learn about their culture, how about inviting them to dinner and getting to know them organically? You don't really want to learn, I think, you're treating them more as curiosities than people by asking them such a thing. They're not there to teach you about their culture, read a book and learn about it, or better yet go to one of their churches/mosques/synagogues or whatever, and learn.

Just because someone is a religion doesn't mean they are experts in it anyway. I am Jewish but I don't celebrate any religion and don't really know much about it, certainly not enough to "explain" Judaism to someone.

I once had someone ask me why I "killed Jesus", and believe it or not, I believe this person truly was genuinely ignorant (as in not knowing better) and truly curious and not trying to be insulting so I was gracious with him, but good grief, just don't go there, it's not your business how or why others celebrate their relationship with God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment