Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 04:33 PM

514 posts, read 767,759 times

Advertisements

Every corporate office gig I've worked involves a ton of time spent staring the wall of my cubicle. Projects seem to move at a snail pace, so my workflow is really slow as well. I'm kind of sick of it. I feel like I'm wasting my life away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 05:06 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,179,154 times
Just curious - are you new to your position? Are you a newer college grad?

My first few years out of school I went through a corporate development program. I had a lot of really great experiences, but due to the lackluster organization of this program, I was often left underutilized. I sat around a lot. They didn't want to give me "grunt" work (I actually begged for anything, I'm one of those people who believes anything is an opportunity), but they didn't want to give me any long term projects as I would be gone in 3-9 months. It was maddening at times.

I find what has helped me is getting to know department heads outside of my own and asking them if I can help with anything. I guarantee you can find someone who needs a helping hand. If it seems like boring work, take it anyways. I have learned some really cool and useful things over the years by doing some mundane, short term projects. It opens you up to working with other people and minds that are not necessarily wired like yours. Even if they don't have anything to offer, ask if you can listen in/shadow on any interesting meetings or projects that are going on. Granted, this has to happen with the blessing of your supervisor, but I feel like if the supervisor is a good leader and wants to see you learn, they will have absolutely no issue with this (as long as you get your other work done!).

Have you actually asked for more work? A good way to ask for this without sounding bored is to ask for more "opportunities" or "assignments" to expand your role.

HOWEVER...even with doing the above, there are many times I have been bored. Even when begging for work. I'm the kind of person who likes to feel like they have really earned their paycheck. I get upset when I'm not busy and it actually makes me quite depressed. I begged for work for about 6 months at my new gig, and now I can barely come up for air!

Old 11-14-2016, 05:10 PM

472 posts, read 442,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e130478 View Post
Every corporate office gig I've worked involves a ton of time spent staring the wall of my cubicle. Projects seem to move at a snail pace, so my workflow is really slow as well. I'm kind of sick of it. I feel like I'm wasting my life away.

As a college grad working in an office: Yes, my work ebbs and flows. Like today, because we didn't work on Veteran's Day, it was really busy for the morning but I still was able to get everything done and the afternoon dragged. I found stuff to do such as filling supplies and what not otherwise I would have been sitting staring at my computer trying to look busy as I had finished all my other work.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:25 PM

440 posts, read 552,268 times
Found that it can be hit or miss.... Some jobs I was brutally under worked while my current job is feast of famine.. Can always ask your boss for more work or go to him/her with an idea - always a plus

Old 11-14-2016, 06:33 PM

1,281 posts, read 782,778 times
Quote:
Some days are more active than others. Like today was very active but tomorrow can be slow and when things get slow I keep it to myself.

Old 11-14-2016, 06:38 PM

901 posts, read 751,635 times
When it gets slow, web surfing goes up. When I monitor our network traffic I can tell who is busy and who is not ��

Old 11-14-2016, 06:47 PM

514 posts, read 767,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmw36 View Post
Just curious - are you new to your position? Are you a newer college grad?

My first few years out of school I went through a corporate development program. I had a lot of really great experiences, but due to the lackluster organization of this program, I was often left underutilized. I sat around a lot. They didn't want to give me "grunt" work (I actually begged for anything, I'm one of those people who believes anything is an opportunity), but they didn't want to give me any long term projects as I would be gone in 3-9 months. It was maddening at times.

I find what has helped me is getting to know department heads outside of my own and asking them if I can help with anything. I guarantee you can find someone who needs a helping hand. If it seems like boring work, take it anyways. I have learned some really cool and useful things over the years by doing some mundane, short term projects. It opens you up to working with other people and minds that are not necessarily wired like yours. Even if they don't have anything to offer, ask if you can listen in/shadow on any interesting meetings or projects that are going on. Granted, this has to happen with the blessing of your supervisor, but I feel like if the supervisor is a good leader and wants to see you learn, they will have absolutely no issue with this (as long as you get your other work done!).

Have you actually asked for more work? A good way to ask for this without sounding bored is to ask for more "opportunities" or "assignments" to expand your role.

HOWEVER...even with doing the above, there are many times I have been bored. Even when begging for work. I'm the kind of person who likes to feel like they have really earned their paycheck. I get upset when I'm not busy and it actually makes me quite depressed. I begged for work for about 6 months at my new gig, and now I can barely come up for air!
I'm newish but not that new. I work for a fortune 10 company and it seems like there is red tape everywhere. Side projects seem to idle and good ideas die often. I'd argue it's a company problem, but I experienced this same exact culture in a different large organization as well. I think I might need to get out of the office economy entirely. It seems to attracts a very certain type of worker -- not very ambitious, happy to surf websites and collect a paycheck, make noise in useless meetings, etc.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:16 PM

1,281 posts, read 782,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
When it gets slow, web surfing goes up. When I monitor our network traffic I can tell who is busy and who is not ��
That's why it makes more sense to surf the web on your phone which cannot be tracked.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:47 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,946,700 times
Quote:
I work for a fortune 10 company and it seems like there is red tape everywhere.
I hear you.

What function are you in? R&D? Marketing? Sales? Manufacturing? HR? Finance? Corporate? IT? etc?

Old 11-14-2016, 08:02 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,235,815 times
I find office work to be very surge-ee, if that makes sense. For example in my current job, we are understaffed, esp in critical skills. Yet there are days when there is literally nothing to do. And then as if flipping a switch, there is more than can be done and everyone is putting in ridiculous OT until everything bogs down when it hits the choke points. Then you wind up with some folks, those who have to wait on the choke point, doing nothing and the folks in the choke point hitting OT limits. And then things lurch along until the next choke point and repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment