Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2016, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 4,644 times

Advertisements

So I have a co worker whom I take to work and back to his home. We work as overnight stockers at K Mart.

Last night he had gotten drunk at a party at his home right before I arrived to pick him up. I couldnt smell any alcohol on him but he told me he was drunk. We get to work and I guess other co workers noticed and reported him to our manager who then told him to leave. I think he may have been fired as well.

My question is should I be or feel responsible in anyway for what happened? I didnt ask him to get out of my car or tried to talk him out of working. To be honest, this wasnt the first time he's gone to work drunk and nothing came of it so I thought it would be the same.

Should I expect my managers to have a talk with me about what happened last night or even be written up or fired? Im pretty sure they know Im his ride to work and as such should have known that he was drunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 01:37 PM

299 posts, read 350,647 times
Why would you be liable or responsible? Did you give him the alcohol? Did you make him drink it? Did you insist he go to work inebriated?

Old 11-05-2016, 01:44 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,445,889 times
You are not responsible for anyone's actions but your own.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:53 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
As a manager the only time I would hold you responsible for something like this was if you know he was drunk and you allowed him, by not reporting him, to violate safety policies.

If he uses a forklift or electric pallet jack I would be all over you, most likely firing you. If he cuts himself with a box-cutter, you probably get a warning.

It doesn't have anything to with giving him a ride, it has to do with allowing unsafe work practices.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newJerseyPinky View Post
Why would you be liable or responsible? Did you give him the alcohol? Did you make him drink it? Did you insist he go to work inebriated?
Nope. He drank on his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
You are not responsible for anyone's actions but your own.
I guess I feel like they might hold me partially responsible for taking him to work and not forcing him out of my car or something.

Or that I didnt say anything about him being drunk to my supervisors/managers.

Old 11-05-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
As a manager the only time I would hold you responsible for something like this was if you know he was drunk and you allowed him, by not reporting him, to violate safety policies.

If he uses a forklift or electric pallet jack I would be all over you, most likely firing you. If he cuts himself with a box-cutter, you probably get a warning.

It doesn't have anything to with giving him a ride, it has to do with allowing unsafe work practices.
Well, he wasnt using any pallet jacks last night or injured himself or anyone else. So I guess I should be good?

Old 11-05-2016, 02:06 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed-and-confused View Post
Well, he wasnt using any pallet jacks last night or injured himself or anyone else. So I guess I should be good?
I can't speak definitively for your boss, but you are probably good. I would probably growl at you for driving an obviously inebriated person to work and not reporting him, but I wouldn't hold one instance against you.

Old 11-05-2016, 02:14 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
Next time you should just advise the worker to call in sick if he is drunk. However, if the dumb@ss knew he was working and got drunk that is his bad.

Old 11-05-2016, 03:12 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed-and-confused View Post
Should I expect my managers to have a talk with me about what happened last night or even be written up or fired? Im pretty sure they know Im his ride to work and as such should have known that he was drunk.
Up until today I would say so long as you don't admit to knowing the person was "drunk", you should be safe, but now, I would be more concern about your friend coming back to try and sue you for allowing him to report drunk to work. Read this is you really want to see how a person attempts to evade personable responsibility by blaming others for their termination:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/work-...can-my-ex.html

Old 11-05-2016, 06:00 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
NO!!! I'm assuming he's an adult and therefore responsible for his own actions. Your employer can't do a thing about you driving him to work and unless you're his boss, it's also not your responsibility to tell his supervisor you think he's drunk.

Now.....as a friend (as you must be on some level if you're diving him to work) you should have told him that he probably shouldn't go to work if he's been drinking. AND I probably would tell him he needs to find a different ride to work from now on.

Last edited by CGab; 11-05-2016 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: Add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment