Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:09 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,585,538 times

Advertisements

My husband is a former police officer. If you decide on this career path, get your university degree first. There won't be time to do it afterward, and the degree will help you advance into the higher paid avenues of law enforcement.

But, as others suggested, once you're 18, go on a couple of ride-alongs, and spend some time talking with actual officers.
Along with helping people, there's a lot of ugliness in that line of work. They see, hear, touch, and smell things no human should ever have to deal with.
Man are they underpaid. It takes special people to do that work.
May the gods bless them and keep them safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 11:19 PM

6,804 posts, read 4,537,524 times
Follow your heart. Become a police officer.
But go to college part time to work towards something else. Give yourself a way out if it turns out that you hate the job.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:26 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,124,633 times
Good we need people to want to become good cops. Good on you. Cops must also be first on scene to some really bad wrecks and have to deal with some of the worst people in society. My hat's off to you.

Old 11-03-2016, 11:27 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,254,383 times
OP Maybe you should spend some time watching network news.

Old 11-04-2016, 09:53 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,526,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
two more policemen assassinated in their cars today..my sincere condolences to their families..you couldn't pay me enough to be a cop in this day and age..

my hat's off to all leos in this country..you have my deepest respect.
Could not agree more...my only brother was shot and killed in the line of duty in 1999, and our son in law who was on the AZ police force has decided, over concerns for our daughter and their children, to quit the force and go back to school for his Masters degree.

He said while he was willing to protect and defend and take that risk daily personally, he was unwilling to subject his family and his children to the risks we now see those willing to wear the uniform face. It is very, very sad to realize that there is a segment of the population that have threatened the families of those willing to serve.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:16 AM

51,618 posts, read 37,357,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Risk getting killed for average money. Doesn't sound like such a great deal to me of its worth your life. What good is money if your dead? And the way the law enforcement is hated today even a greater chance of getting killed by some nut
Police officer isn't even in the top 10 of most dangerous jobs. Cab driver is statistically more dangerous.

Old 11-04-2016, 11:46 AM

857 posts, read 855,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Go big or go home. Start by calling the FBI to ask what kind of college degree you should get, to qualify as an FBI agent. Aspiring to be a cop is like aspiring to own a car that gets 20 MPG and can go up hills.

There are internships available through the Bureau as well as quite a few other federal agencies that offer LE positions. Definitely pays to start looking early. The FBI hires under pretty straight forward if you will skills which include accounting, legal, language, etc. backgrounds. All that information is available on their site; one just has to look.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 AM

7,986 posts, read 5,041,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheotherMarie View Post
My husband is a former police officer. If you decide on this career path, get your university degree first. There won't be time to do it afterward, and the degree will help you advance into the higher paid avenues of law enforcement.

But, as others suggested, once you're 18, go on a couple of ride-alongs, and spend some time talking with actual officers.
Along with helping people, there's a lot of ugliness in that line of work. They see, hear, touch, and smell things no human should ever have to deal with.
Man are they underpaid. It takes special people to do that work.
May the gods bless them and keep them safe.

Thats pretty crazy that one needs a 4 year college degree to be a police officer in some states. I can understand a position at a higher level but to be a state policeman? Of course, I guess its the same reason you have to embellish your resume, undergo a series of grueling interviews and gave no less than 10 years experience in janitorial engineering just to be a janitor now at $10/hr

Old 11-05-2016, 01:07 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,828,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenelsa View Post
I've always admired policemen and women and the work they do to protect society. I realize that the growing of this generation has not made it easy on cops whatsoever. I have no clue what my passion is yet, but every career aptitude test I take points me in the criminal Justice area. I want to make this world a better place and help people ..I also like working independently and enjoy variety. I understand this is not the most glamorous job, but I feel it's something I could do. Also, are there any jobs in criminal Justice that pay better than a cop? Any suggestions for a cool and rewarding career? And also any opinions on my thoughts? Thanks 😊
All i know is its competive and you got to be the best to ge the job. and your not entitled to the job. yah lots of jobs that u can get more money without being a cop. how do you stand out against everyone else?

Old 11-05-2016, 07:06 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,264,389 times
In the city that I live, a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, police officers start out at around $50k and top out around $100k. Certainly not "average pay" as some have mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment