Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 02:34 PM

212 posts, read 821,682 times

Advertisements

I got layed off last month at age 65+and will get full social security this may age 66. I have 30 years accounting experience(not a cpa), but I am finding it difficult to get a part time accounting job or a temp job as I want to be semi retired and work but still have time for myself. Going crazy doing nothing at home.

What has your experience in loosing your job in mid 60s and finding new work .Anybody find it difficult to get a part time job or any work in your field or have to leave our field to get something or just give up and retire on social security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 04:35 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post
I got layed off last month at age 65+and will get full social security this may age 66. I have 30 years accounting experience(not a cpa), but I am finding it difficult to get a part time accounting job or a temp job as I want to be semi retired and work but still have time for myself. Going crazy doing nothing at home.

What has your experience in loosing your job in mid 60s and finding new work .Anybody find it difficult to get a part time job or any work in your field or have to leave our field to get something or just give up and retire on social security.
You might have to go out of your field or do accounting seasonal around tax time.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:11 PM

43 posts, read 36,850 times
"You might have to go out of your field or do accounting seasonal around tax time."

He did not say if he was a full fledged accountant - and even then, probably not qualified for tax accounting.

That takes more - (at minimum CPE credits every year)

Old 10-27-2016, 05:50 PM

299 posts, read 350,321 times
Very. Company I worked for had layoffs in 2012. Took me close to 18 months to find another full-time job, not in my field, making a bit less money than I had, non-managerial, but a hell of a lot less stress, and less hours.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:59 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I lost my job at 64, and was not able to get another full time job. Perhaps I gave up too soon, but really, if you are making hiring decisions, would you hire someone who is your age, over a younger person?

Old 10-27-2016, 06:10 PM

382 posts, read 664,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captnemo View Post

As long as there is money in the bank or money coming towards you - why not use your experience to volunteer somewhere?

Old 10-27-2016, 09:08 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,578,360 times
Default I've just hired an person in their 60's

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I lost my job at 64, and was not able to get another full time job. Perhaps I gave up too soon, but really, if you are making hiring decisions, would you hire someone who is your age, over a younger person?
I've recently hired a person (my manager was the one who called the person and offered them the job though) who is in their 60's. The fact that they had not only experience in the industry but have life experience was a big, big plus for me and heavily influenced my reasons for hiring the person over a younger candidate who was around 28 years old. The position is p/t but the pay is as much as I've made on a f/t job a couple of years ago in a different industry.

Old 10-27-2016, 09:44 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
I retired at age 64 after 40 years as a metropolitan patrol officer. I was inundated with job offers as soon as I took my pension.

Old 10-27-2016, 10:21 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
It's possible, it just takes a little persistance. My field is different than yours but like you my goal was to take SS early and then 2 part-time or contract jobs in my field doing something that I enjoy and that pays decently, but not too much. I don't want to work more than 4 half days a week as I am a caregiver on top of that.
So one job I got through an ad but with an agency that I had worked the bulk of my past career with. I was ''known'' and that helped and I only take on clients when I choose. It's contract work but pays well and I have total freedom to set my hours.
The other is evolving now and I am joining a private counseling practice. Again, contract, set my own hours, say yes or no to clients.
Have you thought of looking into working for health care or related non-profits doing accounting, finance, or payroll? Or maybe doing book-keeping as a contractor for small businesses?
Creative ways to use your skills that don't tie you down to a full-time job.
Don't rely on computer application portals. Prepare a resume and drop into some local businesses or your local Chamber of Commerce meetings and let your availability be known. Get a business card and pass it out! Network, etc..

Old 10-28-2016, 12:54 AM

6,048 posts, read 18,416,504 times
Got a friend with an accounting degree (but not a CPA) who for years worked for manufacturing firms. The first company he worked for around 30 years - company was bought out by another, then bought out again again. Finance functions centralized elsewhere so he was released. Got a great job with another company, but gradually his duties were taken away and he was finally let go almost a year ago.
I think he's pretty much given up looking.
His wife works full-time retail - hates it, but she likes making the money. They had paid off theier house and set aside a good bit of money, so they're not hurting.
He enjoys cooking, so he has taken over that plus the shopping and cleaning.
Seems to work out for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment