Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:14 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,278,237 times

Advertisements

Try an area with a better job market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 10:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Except some old sayings keep people stuck in the closet instead of fully employing human ingenuity and imagination.

You know 'that old saying: Microsoft was started out of a garage'
Except Bill Gates wasn't exactly bootstrapped like a typical college grad is.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:52 AM

529 posts, read 508,029 times
The exception does not the rule make...

Old 08-29-2016, 11:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by startingfromscratchagain View Post
The exception does not the rule make...
Thanks Yoda.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:58 AM

4,314 posts, read 3,994,940 times
Quote:
Except some old sayings keep people stuck in the closet instead of fully employing human ingenuity and imagination.

The OP lives in HUD housing.

Many of HUD rentals have no "garages "

Old 08-29-2016, 12:07 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,427,290 times
Quote:

Bill Gates and the OP aren't exactly in comparable situations. I wish people would quit using people like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg as examples, "well if they did it anyone can". Uh no, not anyone can start a business in their garage or dorm room and turn it into the next Microsoft or Facebook. Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, and others like them started on an entirely different playing field from where the OP would be starting. Bill Gates had drive, focus, a strong work ethic, a genius level of intelligence, funding, wealthy family, connections, opportunities, well chosen business partners, being at the right place at the right time to take advantage of the right opportunities, and the passion and drive to succeed even in the face of early failures.

OP, are you able to stand on your feet to work at all? Something like a dental hygienist or many medical technician fields only take a couple of years of training and pay pretty well for the amount of training needed. These jobs are more physical than a desk job so it would depend on if you can stand at all or do any physical labor. If you can't, then your best bet would be to transfer to a 4 year university (assuming you have realistic odds of graduating) and get a degree in something that leads to desk jobs, like business. If you need a desk job and can't get a 4 year degree, finish out the community college Associates degree and relocate to an area that has more entry level office jobs. Many businesses hiring for basic admin positions don't care if you have a 4 year college degree.

Last edited by patches403; 08-29-2016 at 12:28 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 12:13 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
Quote:
Start your own business. The only limiting you there is your imagination
Maybe you can give some examples of business ideas the OP can do in his situation.
Besides Bill Gates, Larry Page, and Mark Zuckerberg, that is.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:22 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearllederman View Post
when i used to live in upstate ny i couldnt get jobs there either, i was on welfare a lot, ive been to college too but havent finished it. then i got jobs in resorts, was there about 14 yrs and had to leave cause of two hip implants and a knee surgery, this was 4 1/2 yrs ago, and the place wouldnt accomodate me cause the nurse wrote up a work release saying i was ready to go back to food service 20 hrs a wk, i could barely walk , later i had my knee surgery. I left, i had a couple of jobs since then but unfortunately they wouldnt keep me. some were discriminating too. I lived off those paychecks and their tax refunds, i do have hud and right now im getting foodstamps and medicaid but they dont give cash to single people without kids. now its almost 5 yrs later and i still cant get employed, not even a babysitting job and i dont even have a record.

Right now Im going to school and to be honest I needed income and school gives me grants and stuff. I couldnt live on nothing, but the problem is I might have some learning disabilities so its hard for me to pass classes and i was on academic probation this summer too, got out of it but I'm afraid i might do it again. i try to get tutoring or whatever i need to do.

I cant get ssi either, I have tried, for 4 yrs and Im totally done with them. I want nothing to do with them. I've tried with a lawyer too. I cant do jobs where theres a lot of walking around and people wont hire me for sit down jobs. I wouldnt even mind a sit down factory job but people wont hire me for those either. I'm also bilingual and can speak spanish but even that dont help me get a job.

I think people are discriminating but i cant prove it, im 4ft5 so i think i could look like im too young to work. theyre having a work study fair at the community college i go to, i was going to see if i could snag one of those jobs so i can get recent job experience but the last time i tried to go to one noone hired me. any ideas of how i can get employed once and for all? im tired of living on no income and only getting money 3 times a yr. any suggestions?
If you have a specific disorder, like arthritis you might contact the organization that represents people with the specific disease and see if they have any job placement or ideas for where you might find work, and as already stated, you school might be able to offer you a student job.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:45 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve mcdonald View Post
it would help if you'd proof-read your text better in communications with potential employers or get someone to help you do that.
+1.

You're bilingual but yet you seem to have issues with proper English...this could be hurting your chances further.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:49 PM

910 posts, read 1,082,008 times
Hey OP,

At home customer service jobs are a real thing. Many companies are ditching the call center. Think of it this way, they pay you the same, but use your internet, your electricity, your rent, etc. The company makes more money paying you to stay home. You obviously have the internet, that is the first step. You need to search for at home customer service jobs. If the people you contact want money, IT IS A SCAM!!!!

There are many legitimate businesses doing this. Amazon is starting a project to move it's call center operation to at home customer service.

As long as you can talk on the phone, type reasonably well, and be nice to customers you can do this job.

I wish you the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment